Author Topic: Fastest Non-Instantaneous Method of Traveling  (Read 9086 times)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Re: Fastest Non-Instantaneous Method of Traveling
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 08:58:08 PM »
Looks like a goliath could Fling Ally himself due to powerful build's wording.
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 03:29:18 PM »
My right hand didn't know what my left hand was doing, but when I woke up in Siberia ...
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
Re: Fastest Non-Teleportation Method of travelling
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »
I have to change the title to "Fastest Non-Instantaneous Method of Traveling", don't I? Fine, I'll go do that.

Locate city has an instantaneous duration.  The movement from explosive spell occurs as part of the spell the feat is applied to.  You've just ruled out your own entry. 

You've also probably ruled out all other forms of movement.  I can't imagine a means of locomotion being anything other than instantaneous under D&D rules. 

I suggest you make the thread title "Fastest 'Normal' Movement," then give the following qualifications. 
  • Continuous Path: You must always get from one point to another by passing through the intervening space.  You can't "skip over" any distance.  The path need not be a straight line. 
  • Bounded Speed: The maximum distance covered cannot be truly infinite, nor arbitrarily large.  A method does not violate this clause if it can only become arbitrarily large with an arbitrarily high character level, or an arbitrarily large quantity of some other resource that is normally bounded. 

I should note that master earth doesn't violate the first condition and only violates the second condition in a cosmology where the material plane has a literal plane of ground extending forever in all directions.  (I suppose a cylinder of infinite length could work too.) 

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 02:39:00 AM »
What if we specify an actual mode of movement must be involved? Basic land speed, fly speed, burrow speed, etc. That seems to be more or less the intent here.