Author Topic: Create a Caster(Need help)  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Volche

• Lurker
  • I'm born! Tiefling BORN!
    • View Profile
Create a Caster(Need help)
« on: December 16, 2015, 09:02:52 AM »
Good day! Tommorow i starts to play a 5 ed.
So we starting with PH and Unearthed arcana/Posi Locks.
My rolls for stat is :14,15,16,17,14,13.(Lucky :D)
I trying to find best Max damage magic/range build till lvl 7.
More interesting in Range combat but Close could be too.

As i see the good start is Variant Human Posilock 2/Sorcerer redDragon 5
Darkvision and Agonizing blast?
With Lucky or Spell Sniper?
Or maybe starting a bard?

Thanks for reading,and please forget all my mistakes English is not my first language  :D
If you see glowing eyes and magic presense... i dare you,doble dare you ... to start a fight.

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Caster(Need help)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 01:13:19 PM »
I'm guessing "posilock" means Undying Light patron.

Check with your DM about the interaction of Twin Spell and Eldritch Blast.  A strict ruling of Twin Spell would disallow Eldritch Blast as a legal spell for Twin Spell, backed up by this tweet:

Twinned Spell

If you go for the 6th level of Sorcerer next, you would run into situations where Twinned Fire Bolt with Quickened Eldritch Blast is your highest damage per turn IF your DM does not allow Twinned Eldritch Blast (not necessarily true on single-target damage per turn.)

Though Hex offers the highest raw damage potential for your concentration, remember that a successful Quickened Hold Person/Hold Monster followed by Eldritch Blast is guaranteed advantage and critical hits, and your allies can take advantage of the condition as well.

Spell Sniper is probably overkill for your first feat.  Take the sorcerer levels first so you have Constitution saving throw proficiency, and consider War Caster so you can use spells on opportunity attacks and to hold concentration more easily.

A lot of players fall into the trap of calculating the maximum theoretical damage for a single turn.  Consider ways to gain advantage for higher accuracy.  Most conditions that grant advantage extend to your allies, so you will often increase the damage of the group as a whole by inducing more successful hits and potentially enabling others to use feats like Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 01:28:51 PM by TenaciousJ »
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 04:43:12 PM »
Yep, Sorc'Lock works fine, either 18/2 or 17/3.
Get your Cha to 20 first ... hey wait-a-minute
you did Not roll those numbers did you?

... Thanks for reading,and please forget all my mistakes English is not my kitty avatar's first language  :D

My kitty avatar's Tail  is laughing at me.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Volche

• Lurker
  • I'm born! Tiefling BORN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 08:29:15 AM »
Thanks everybody.
If i change a class next i don`t get benefits of another class "savings"?

Get your Cha to 20 first ... hey wait-a-minute
you did Not roll those numbers did you?
Yep i have a lucky hand that day.

So variant human is best start?
If you see glowing eyes and magic presense... i dare you,doble dare you ... to start a fight.

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 10:50:02 AM »
I would argue half-elf is just as viable with that array of ability scores.  You could easily start at Str 14, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 18 (or flip Dex and Con).  Boost Charisma at level 4 Sorcerer and then you can take feats the rest of the way.

Variant Human would be more like Str 14, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 18 with War Caster.  You're trading off 1 skill profiency, darkvision, and 2 higher Dex/Con for a feat in a build that will have excess ability score increases to trade for feats anyway.
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA