Author Topic: About Spellshaping  (Read 4611 times)

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
About Spellshaping
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:33:56 PM »
Introduction
Spellshaping is a project begun at the beginning of 2011.  The goal?  Blast-centric casters, like the warlock, but with the versatility of Tome of Battle characters.

The first draft of Codex I was completed in mid-Spring, and posted to the old Brilliant Gameologists boards.  After a few weeks of feedback, an additional five circles were written, as well as two new prestige classes.  Over the course of the summer, the original seven circles were heavily revised, bringing them more in line with the new circles and generally balancing everything more evenly.

In fall of 2011, work began on Codex II.  The actual mechanics of Codex II were completed in early November, with a few extra weeks spent tweaking and adjusting everything from formulae to fluff.

It's a lot of material, but it's fairly easy to understand if you're familiar with the Tome of Battle.  Essentially, Major Formulae function as Strikes, while Minor Formulae function as Boosts.  Spellshape attacks--spell-like abilities that resemble a warlock's eldritch blast--are used in place of melee attacks for the purpose of shaping (initiating) formulae (maneuvers).

In general, spellshape attacks and arcane formulae are ranged touch attacks and subject to spell resistance.  However, in some cases--the powers of Blustering Gale, Crushing Stone, Natural Balance, and Roaring Tide, to be specific--the spellshape attacks are instead normal ranged attacks, but are not subject to spell resistance.  In such cases, you use your shaper level in place of your base attack bonus when making your attack.

Anyone is welcome to use any of the spellshaping material.  My primary desire is for feedback--I want to know how it feels to play, how you feel in terms of power level with relation to other characters, and so on.  My mission with spellshaping is to make it as perfect as possible, so any and all feedback counts.  Anything, anything at all--be it a mere comment or a fundamental flaw with some aspect of the entire system--will help.

Status
The spellshaping material is currently undergoing a system-wide revision, which will culminate in a single PDF containing all of the material.  In general, I'm hoping not to change too much--just tighten things up and bring everything together.  Of course, I have very little control over what I actually do here, so who knows?

Activity

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
2/17/13 - Revised Roaring Tide, detaching a lot of effects from surging jet, changing the damage type to bludgeoning, and renaming a lot of things.
2/26/13 - Revised Crushing Stone, cleaning up and tweaking a few things.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:49:24 PM by DonQuixote »
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: About Spellshaping
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 06:05:09 PM »
Change Logs

Base Classes
(click to show/hide)

Formulae
(click to show/hide)

Prestige Classes
(click to show/hide)

Other
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:11:18 PM by DonQuixote »
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: About Spellshaping
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 05:00:39 AM »
Posting Spellshaping Material
So, it is a fact of reality that I am not the only person in the world who has ideas.  Though I may have dozens of brains kept in jars, feeding me a constant supply of thoughts, I don't have your brains.  And your brains might be having ideas, too.

Just as anyone is welcome to use spellshaping material, anyone is welcome to write spellshaping material, and to post it here.  However, there are some rules, caveats, and guidelines.  The following is not an exhaustive list of what can and cannot be posted--I'm very bad at seeing things coming in advance.  So, if I take issue with something posted, but it doesn't fall under anything mentioned here, I'll likely message you about it and open a dialogue on the matter.  However, here are the rules, caveats, and guidelines as they stand now:
  • All spellshapers should be assumed to follow the same progression in terms of the highest-level formulae that they can know, and all spellshapers must meet the prerequisites of a formula in order to learn it.  The first of these two is really more of a guideline--if, for some strange reason, you really want there to be a spellshaping class that never gets to 9th-level formulae, I suppose I can't stop you from writing it...though you'll have to have a pretty good reason.  The second, however, is set in stone.  While some people might choose to ignore formula prerequisites, much as some people do for martial maneuver prerequisites, that is a houserule, not a class feature.  If one spellshaping class can ignore the prerequisites of formulae, that class gains a strong advantage over other spellshapers.  Playing that way as a houserule is completely acceptable; playing that way as a class decision, however, is not.
  • A formula's duration should not exceed 5 rounds in most cases.  Certain high-level formulae might acceptably have longer durations than this, but never more than 8 rounds.  Because arcane formulae can be recovered so easily, you do not need things that last 1 round/level.  It's just not necessary.  Moreover, in order to avoid the scenario of spamming powerful formulae with durations--such as shaping Ashen Pyre against several enemies at once--it has been ruled that, unless otherwise noted, you may only have a single instance of a given major formula in effect at once.  This means that you actively do not want formulae with long durations, as you'll end up shaping all of your formulae, recovering them, and then sitting on your thumbs as you wait for the effects of the previous shaping to end.
  • I may ask you to change wording around.  So, I can't just sneak in and edit your post if I want to reword things--it is board policy that you cannot edit other users' posts without permission from the higher-ups.  However, I am a stickler for structure, proper wording, and grammar.  There is a decent possibility that I'll draft up a re-worded version of something that you post and ask if you'd mind changing to it.  This is not meant as an insult or anything of the sort.  I'm just obsessive and really like consistency in how things read.
  • Spellshaping material posted on this board should require only official Wizards of the Coast material and the other spellshaping material on this board.  While there is a lot of good homebrew on the internet, I don't like sending people jumping around just so that they can decide whether or not they want to play a class.  Especially since Codex I and Codex II are intended to also be usable in PDF format--and there may be compendiums of later content released in the future--I prefer to keep things in here as stand-alone.  Ideas that combine spellshaping and other homebrew are wonderful, and I'd be happy to collaborate on such stuff, but I'd prefer to put it in the general homebrew section, just for consistency.  I'll be happy to post links to such material, but this is just one of my neuroses.  (This rule may be rescinded at some point, but it is still in effect for now.)

Those are all the big issues that come to mind at the moment, but these rules, caveats, and guidelines are subject to change at any point.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 03:37:20 AM by DonQuixote »