Author Topic: Prologue: Bad Moon Rising  (Read 22345 times)

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
Re: Prologue: Bad Moon Rising
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2012, 12:31:26 AM »
"Alright, but just a small one. I'm driving."
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2012, 12:55:40 PM »
(click to show/hide)

"Yes, River. I'm glad you came." She closed the door to Hieronymus's office behind them with her heel and smiled curtly at the secretary.

She didn't reply to River's question immediately, waiting until they had left the building. She couldn't stand being watched.

"We have a bit of time. And we have no new job yet, besides. Why don't we see how the boys are doing back at the ship. In the meantime, I have something to tell you. I want to tell you before I tell the others. I think Benedict in particular will be shocked. I'm not sure how he'll react, and I want someone else with a clear head to be able to assist if anything happens."

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:57:32 PM by Childe »
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2012, 01:51:07 PM »
River gasped. "Congratulations! I didn't know you and Benedict were into each other or that you'd gone that far! Of course I'll be on hand to help deliver when the time comes."

(click to show/hide)
Hmm.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2012, 07:51:36 PM »
"I-- what? No, no, no!" She looked down at herself, quickly aware of her stomach and hips. She grabbed River by the arm and pulled her onto a side street. "I looked in the box," she said. She looked at herself again. "No! Really, River?" she asked, surprised River could think she was pregnant.
- The More You Know

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2012, 06:55:12 AM »
"Oh. Well you'll meet somebody nice someday." she says. "So what was in the box?"
Hmm.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2012, 03:52:37 PM »
Noa decided to be blunt. "Weapons, River. But I don't mean guns. These were big. And not just explosives. I may still be getting the hang of some things, but I know what a bomb is. These had chemicals and..." she said, trailing off as she tried to think about what he had seen. "Maybe I'm wrong," she said and hoped.
- The More You Know

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »
"The ugly side of technology. No weapon should hurt anything beyond its intended target. " she said, frustrated. "It figures that a simple job never is. To think we didn't even charge a risk premium! I hate getting ripped off."

It is unclear whether River is more upset about the weapons themselves or the business side of things.
Hmm.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2012, 02:18:37 AM »
"The ugly side of technology. No weapon should hurt anything beyond its intended target. " she said, frustrated. "It figures that a simple job never is. To think we didn't even charge a risk premium! I hate getting ripped off."

It is unclear whether River is more upset about the weapons themselves or the business side of things.

Noa always found it comforting when River talked business. It was a common language between them in a way. "Of course, I couldn't ask for that and tell him I had looked. Especially with the changes they've made. I hope we never do business with that man again. But I wouldn't mind a chance for some mild payback one day. You know, that's quite a growing list for me," she said, and laughed.
- The More You Know

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2012, 02:34:48 AM »
Benedict and Ironfist hammer out the details of getting the new parts delivered to the ship. It takes a while, as Boris keeps interrupting to refresh everyone's glasses.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2012, 10:14:34 AM »
The deal completed, Ironfist smiles broadly at Boris. "I believe we are done here.  I'm glad we were able to do business Boris, it had been too long."  He then turns to Benedict and says, "Back to the ship then?"

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2012, 03:31:05 PM »
Benedict nods, standing up and stretching. "Captain's probably having a shootout in the docking bay by now."

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2012, 09:46:07 AM »
Benedict and Ironfist arrive at the ship just as the new parts are being delivered. Apparently Boris offers free express shipping!

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2012, 12:10:59 PM »
River sees her friends near the ship and hurries to catch up to them. "I see you got something. How'd it go?"
Hmm.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2012, 05:45:36 PM »
"Not too badly, although I'd wait until we find out if the parts are going to explode before calling it a good day." Benedict leans back against the ship lazily.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2012, 05:55:33 PM »
Ironfist just waves absentmindedly as he takes the parts into the ship for installation.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2012, 12:29:59 AM »
After making her hellos to the rest of the crew, and asking if Ironfist got the part alright, Noa headed to her locker, and checked herself in a small mirror. Rule # 5 of docking meant she wouldn't get to put away her weapon until they left this station. Besides, she'd have to make one small trip to withdraw their new funds.
- The More You Know

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2012, 09:31:13 PM »
About banking:
(click to show/hide)

Everyone manages to return to the ship in one piece, despite a few moments of rising tensions. After checking the ship's bank account to make sure Hieronymus kept his word, you find that the funds have been deposited as promised. It is decided that the sooner you depart from this station, the better.

After settling down and getting your new parts installed, the ship refueled and provisions stocked, the Eclipse heads off into the Black. With the new parts, fuel, and other items ordered, you still have a good chunk of change left over... but it won't last long. It's probably best to find a job now while you're still within Comm range of the Hub, and so you check over incoming job opportunities through legitimate and shady channels. There are three messages:

*Message one is from a man requesting a meeting to discuss obtaining a priceless artifact for him.
*Message two is a general call for salvage. Serviceable spaceship parts, medical supplies, and other goods retrieved from wreckage out in Fringe Space.
(click to show/hide)
*Message three is actually a distress beacon that your ship's Comms picked up. It's only a few days old, though it would take a few more days to reach the ship throwing out the beacon.

A fourth option exists, though it's something you can always pursue at your leisure. Noa and River know something is up with Hieronymus Rosso. He's gained a position of power and weirdly high-tech defenses in his office far too quickly for someone of the stature he possessed when he hired you for your last job. It may bear investigating.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:54:18 AM by VennDygrem »

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2012, 12:43:25 AM »
Noa plopped down into a chair in the mess room, arguing as she had for the past hour with no one in particular.
"Now, obviously the right thing to do is to go after that distress beacon. After all, you all picked me up! But as much as I don't want to return, Hieronymus has something coming. And the wrecked ship is already wrecked. We don't know if anyone still needs help on the other ship. But the guy who asked to meet could probably pay handsomely." She looked up from the table she had absently been memorizing.
"Did I tell you about Hieronymus's secretary? That low whore." Noa tossed a bullet at a counter across the room to get it out of her hands. Anger and violence were too tempting.
- The More You Know

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2012, 01:44:55 AM »
"Why not answer the distress call? For a service charge of course. And if we show up too late...well, there may be free salvage parts we can harvest?" River asks. She wonders if she should write up a Rescue EULA Agreement... :plotting
Hmm.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2012, 09:57:13 AM »
Ironfist looks at River and then shakes his head.  What kind of cutthroat mercenaries was he working with?  For now Ironfist chooses to keep his opinions to himself.