Author Topic: High End OOC thread IV-End of minmaxboards  (Read 167592 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: High End OOC thread IV-End of minmaxboards
« Reply #680 on: July 19, 2018, 01:00:20 AM »
Hey, I could have just as easily picked Leadership or something and handwaved away the secret base stuff much in the same fashion Baha has her own organization. I'd just call them my subordinates.  :P
Baha actually has Leadership and an huge Cha score, Hugo has 10. :P

You could've just asked me to roll those, you know. They lasted all of a single round. And either way, just because that's only half my character concept doesn't mean you have to diss it.
Nothing personal, it's from the SRW d20 basic rules thread actually, even the wiki does it.

I'll recalculate the damage then. I was confused by your wording in your post assuming it somehow tore through the AT Field too.

As for the Disk Launcher...

-I don't mind it costing an upgrade point. Hey, while we're at it, we can think of extra upgrade options for it.
-That range is... pretty atrocious. For a weapon that's supposed to be specialized at doing one thing (it's not even damage!), treating it as an improvised throw is pretty bad... I'm sure we can do better. (It's not like there's good reason to ever "throw" a disk into melee either. even by using maneuvers with it...)
Remember that Dynamic wouldn't make it count as improvised anymore plus the 50 mu is just the base range, and you can increase it by taking a -2 penalty for each extra range increment like other ranged weapons, so you could go up to 500 mu.

Also multi-buffing by itself is already pretty boss.

-OK with scatter rules.That actually makes it even more useful for area of effect stuff.
-I get the idea of trying to limit the number of disks thrown per round, but you'll remember Hugo tends to use predetermined "configurations" (I'm the one who ends up picking them on the run). So let's say he could save up to Int mod in "configurations" (this is a mage weapon after all and Int is related to remembering stuff) with up to four disks per configuration (later upgrades could increase that amount), or up to his Dex mod for on-the-fly stuff.
I'm willing to try that out for now.

-The existence of the Disk Launcher does not preclude the ability to draw disks by themselves (which benefits from the Quick Draw feat). This should still allow Hugo to use the quickdraw+Telekinesis combo (it takes him a full round to set up, plus it's a fairly limited range, so it shouldn't be an issue, right?).
Each individual disk counts as an object, no counting bundles as a single object for telekinesis.

Also as already done before, since the disks are physical objects they're vulnerable to be intercepted by defensive weapons.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:05:44 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 19, 2018, 11:24:34 AM »
Not a problem with not counting bundles as single objects.

Also not a problem with them being subject to interception by point defense. I'll just apply Invisible Spell to the giant sized variety.  :P

EDIT: Any word on a to-hit mod for the launcher?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:26:32 AM by Kuroimaken »
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 20, 2018, 03:42:45 AM »
Base +0 to hit, there's the targeting upgrade for increasing acuraccy with super robots.

Also you're extremely optimistic for hoping that enemies at this level don't have any any anti-invisibility measures, at least for close range. :p

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 20, 2018, 01:28:23 PM »
I'll just have to look for anti-countermeasures countermeasures then, probably yet another upgrade to my systems, just like undetectable for Super Robots.

(Also, if we had some more options for optimizing smaller Super Robots, that'd be great)

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 20, 2018, 08:12:26 PM »
There's the Counter-Counter Measures 6th level stance from Missile Massacre, we may count your disks as missiles since both can be intercepted.

There's also Tek Knight to buff smaller supers.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 22, 2018, 11:17:39 AM »
Can I even get access to Missile Massacre as a Super Pilot? I have no idea how access to these new schools work, and SP only lists Burning Justice and Into the Danger Zone.

EDIT: Reading over Tek Knight the options have too severe drawbacks for my tastes, but Missile Massacre seems like a really good school.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 12:17:51 PM by Kuroimaken »

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 22, 2018, 07:23:08 PM »
As a super pilot you can pick one other school besides Burning Justice. Missile Massacre can be swapped for any of the base schools of a pilot class as described at the start of the school itself. Or you can go for martial study and martial stance feats.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:11:14 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 22, 2018, 08:26:31 PM »
Why would I want to pick some other mecha school.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 22, 2018, 08:33:12 PM »
Why would I want to pick some other mecha school.

For science

(Will work on post when I get home tonight x.x)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 22, 2018, 11:09:06 PM »
The disarm spamming it getting kinda disgusting this fight.

As an aside, why is it not any more difficult to disarm a weapon physically built into a mecha than it is to regular disarm a weapon that is merely held in hand? I mean, imo, if disarming a built-in weapon is possible, its kind of akin to trying to disarm a weapon from a locked gauntlet or something, no?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: July 22, 2018, 11:26:29 PM »
Well, to a degree it makes sense because mecha have a tendency to lose arms and everything else.

But then it goes back to 3.X being all about size for combat manoeuvres and the best way to deal with them is to be big. And if you throw enough attempts in, eventually there's a fail... which is a pretty big deal when it comes to how limited weapon replacement is.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 22, 2018, 11:55:58 PM »
As an aside, why is it not any more difficult to disarm a weapon physically built into a mecha than it is to regular disarm a weapon that is merely held in hand? I mean, imo, if disarming a built-in weapon is possible, its kind of akin to trying to disarm a weapon from a locked gauntlet or something, no?

A not-in-built weapon isn't "merely held in hand", it's tightly clamped by metal manipulators that were designed specifically for that purpose. If you can pull a weapon from that, pulling a weapon physically built into a mecha isn't really harder.

In mecha battles "disarming" should be taken to the literal sense that a limb's been chopped off. As talked previously it's a staple of mecha shows, giant robots get bits chopped off left, right and center. Luckily mechas don't bleed off and even a chopped limb can be quickly fixed in a base or even jury-rig something on the scene (move action to "pick up" disarmed weapon).

Also again rule of cool, mechas holding weapons in hand should be as viable as leg missiles and shoulder cannons and whatnot.

Well, to a degree it makes sense because mecha have a tendency to lose arms and everything else.

But then it goes back to 3.X being all about size for combat manoeuvres and the best way to deal with them is to be big. And if you throw enough attempts in, eventually there's a fail... which is a pretty big deal when it comes to how limited weapon replacement is.

Cough Tek Knight cough. Also Gun Maniac and Martial Machine have some maneuvers to help make up for size differences plus some T.O.U.H.O.U. stuff.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 23, 2018, 12:04:23 AM »
There will come a day where I look into all the small-sized options properly, and construct a fine-sized character in a mecha-fine mecha.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 23, 2018, 12:17:54 AM »
Like wtf is up with this dice roller  :banghead

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 23, 2018, 01:26:23 AM »

A not-in-built weapon isn't "merely held in hand", it's tightly clamped by metal manipulators that were designed specifically for that purpose. If you can pull a weapon from that, pulling a weapon physically built into a mecha isn't really harder.

In mecha battles "disarming" should be taken to the literal sense that a limb's been chopped off. As talked previously it's a staple of mecha shows, giant robots get bits chopped off left, right and center. Luckily mechas don't bleed off and even a chopped limb can be quickly fixed in a base or even jury-rig something on the scene (move action to "pick up" disarmed weapon).

Also again rule of cool, mechas holding weapons in hand should be as viable as leg missiles and shoulder cannons and whatnot.

Cough Tek Knight cough. Also Gun Maniac and Martial Machine have some maneuvers to help make up for size differences plus some T.O.U.H.O.U. stuff.

And that is, in point of fact, the only REALLY good option for Tek Knight...

No, seriously, it has the least hideous drawbacks. If you're looking to maximize combat maneuvers as a tiny mecha you're probably getting up close and personal anyways, so arsenal halving is just *shrug*. Point for point some of that stuff is just not worth it. Great Plating and whatnot is a really nice option, why? Because when your Dodge bonus is 0, then you don't care that it gets cut in half. By contrast, consider Tek Reactor, which gives you +40 energy but halves your spirit points, at a whoopin' 4 point cost. In order to make full use of size benefits, you'd have to invest 8 points in it for a total of +75 max energy. By contrast, for 5 points, you could have Reactor 2, which would get you an average 11 points of energy each round with no drawbacks and spare you three upgrade points. Taking Tek Reactor effectively makes certain higher-level Super spirits unusable. Tek Soul, by contrast, makes some low-level spirits spammable (sort of), but max HP in half is... yeesh. Better hope no one gets through your every-single-round Alert, buddy. Tek Storage is... okay, I guess? Sort of? I mean, if you want to be a tiny, tiny kinetic weapons platform, then the energy halving isn't so bad. I honestly don't understand why you can't have Nanomachines along with it (Mysterious Power makes sense though, since less energy is less of a problem if every round regen is making up for it).

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 23, 2018, 02:43:05 AM »
Soro_Lost: Please roll for the deflected attack using your ranged bonus.

Kuroimaken: I'm replying to the matter of Tek Knight in the SRW general discussion since it's more of a homebrew matter than campaign specific and it'll allow other people interested in SRW d20 to chime in.

Also you need to update your IC post with valid actions.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 23, 2018, 09:32:31 AM »
For the sake of expediency, assume I broke like four disks to buff and reposition myself. I'll pick the exact spells later.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 23, 2018, 10:21:48 AM »
Soro_Lost: Please roll for the deflected attack using your ranged bonus.
I got a 34. What a ride this week.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 07, 2018, 08:16:23 AM »
Apologies for my delay but RL keeps getting in the way and can't really get in-character for anything. Probably will only be able to post anything campaign-related in 1-2 weeks.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 08, 2018, 02:46:32 PM »
Sorry I been distracted lately, will get to posting again. Also wanted to wait until I've finished stuff concerning NPC before doing so.