Author Topic: The Artifact Crown [D&D 3.5] 10th level gestalt campaign Interest Check.  (Read 31601 times)

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
Re: The Artifact Crown [D&D 3.5] 10th level gestalt campaign Interest Check.
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2019, 08:18:06 PM »
Cheers  :D

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2019, 10:41:55 PM »
Plus I'm not sure how you got the pure shield in the first place since Honest Crafting only applies to light armor and weapons.

Shields fall under armorsmithing? I guess i figured it gives me the feat and max ranks in one of the two skills, then i put my own ranks into the other and i have the feat so i did everything? Unless the class feature is suppose to be more restrictive than that.
That's correct, my apologies.

Anyway let me know after you updated your sheet so I can run the simulations again (or you could do it yourself, check if 12 trolls or 2 fire giants or 2 young adult blue dragons can damage your character faster than you'll kill them).

Is Android allowed? How does enchanting the built in weapon work? (I haven't gotten to that stuff yet).
Android allowed (it's basically a warforged with some extra bits and flaws), normally you can't enchant mecha weapons but since the android isn't a mecha let's say you can do it as if it was a masterwork weapon.

Also fluffwise, would you rather be the first and only (so far) of your kind or for mass production of androids to already be in place for some time or something else in between or you're fine with whatever I decide?

Right. So the picture I have in mind for this guy is a vampire that kicks people in the face while playing one or more musical instruments. (Yes, he's going to have a bard level in there somewhere.)

So I figured, why not grab a couple levels of monk in order to make up for the requirements for Vampire. A question then occurs: can I retrain a first-level feat after I've used it to qualify for Vampire, while still having that same feat granted by a later level? (Or: can I have Combat Reflexes granted from one side of the gestalt by level 2 monk and retrain Combat Reflexes as a first-level feat from a flaw?)

No retraining feats you're using as prerequisite for other stuff, although you could just take the vampire levels a bit later.

A first preliminary look at the mechanical side of my build.

Notes:
1. I lied, I actually took 4 levels of revised Hexblade :P
2. Took Decisive Strike ACF on the assumption that Chain Rakes as natural weapons are equivalent to unarmed strikes
3. Took Wolf Berserker feat on the assumption that Sohei Ki-Frenzy qualifies for the rage requirement
4. Will very likely shuffle the exact point in time when each class combination is taken around when I get down to skill ranks, but the overall distribution stands Skill ranks distributed, no changes incoming.
5. Have still one domain choice open as I have no idea about the deities in the milieu, especially of if Bonnie is open to LE followers and what domains she provides. Might have to follow a different allied deity or achdevil then

(click to show/hide)

You can assume standard D&D Deities, Bonnie's Domains are Trickery and... Let's say Charm and Community.
Remember to don't pimp yourself too much, if you're one-rounding fire giants and young adult blue dragons then you may need to pause for a moment.

So my plan at this point is Kasha Scholar 10 // Rogue 3/ Swashbuckler 7.
Party wise would be best if I was in a party that had a melee buddy for flanking.

I could work with the bonnie faction but it just seems weird to follow her when your race views vampire ashes as a seasoning.
Otherwise no real preference between factions.

The question that I need to ask, where will this campaign fall on the silly/serious scale?

There's plenty of silly stuff at first glance, gets more serious the deeper you go in.

Hey osle - I'd like to join if you still have spots open? I'm not quite sure what I'd play yet, but it'll be something using maneuvers I think. I'm new to gestalting but I'm fairly well entrenched on the discord (and 3.5 in general) and love researching and improving my characters, so unless you think otherwise, hopefully I'll be able to get something that's good enough for this campaign. I think I might also nab some levels in your homebrew monsters - they look super interesting.

Anyhow, let me know :)

Edit: apparently I'm a massive lurker - I've been on these forums for ages and somehow this is my first post. Who'da thunk it?

Exactly place for one more for two parties of five, welcome!

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2019, 10:47:37 PM »
Oh I made the changes hours ago sorry xD

Oh wait shoot no I didn't lol. I remembered right now I forgot my 2 empty savage slots.

EDIT: Fixed it! Link is still like a page back.

Does Fast Healing from multiple Savage abilities stack?
Does Fast Healing from Savage stack with Fast Healing from other sources?
That actually determines whether I change Monster of Legend's Fast Healing out for something else. -_-'

Nevermind just switching it for Spell Turning.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1844808
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:24:38 PM by ketaro »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2019, 11:01:58 PM »
I can't remember ever spending this much time and effort on a race decision before.

Fuck it, I'm an android.  Killer robot is just too good to pass up.   

Looking at the arsenal weapons I can see why they aren't supposed to be enchanted, that's way more powerful than a normal weapon.  Honestly I think enchanting those would bump me over into the "too good at killing things" category. I'll pass on enchanting the built-in weapon so don't worry there.

I assume that all Androids are Chobits given the lack of mecha?  I'm perfectly fine with that, I'm thinking about going Chobit if not just because it would make sense.

I leave the decision of Androids in universe and who made me in your capable hands.  My entire backstory so far is now "Killer robot mercenary/assassin" and I'm even willing to make adjustments to that if you come up with an awesome alternative. 

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2019, 11:17:45 PM »
Let's gamble

HP 9d12+22 : 4, 9, 1, 6, 2, 3, 4, 2, 10 + 22, total 63

I win if it's above 80. All hail my lack of bonus HP.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2019, 11:18:15 PM »
Well, that could have gone better. Good thing I have fast healing and DR. And minions. And flight. xD

And am a vampire lord so being killed is only mildly inconvenient.

It's neat that the main vampire weakness I have remaining is "must politely ask to come in."
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:22:59 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2019, 05:17:32 AM »
Oh I made the changes hours ago sorry xD

Oh wait shoot no I didn't lol. I remembered right now I forgot my 2 empty savage slots.

EDIT: Fixed it! Link is still like a page back.

Does Fast Healing from multiple Savage abilities stack?
Does Fast Healing from Savage stack with Fast Healing from other sources?
That actually determines whether I change Monster of Legend's Fast Healing out for something else. -_-'

Nevermind just switching it for Spell Turning.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1844808

You still have fast healing although it seems to come from Ancient skills.

Ayway you're still a bit too tough, you're two-rounding a fire giant with just lots of unarmed (with rend)/natural attacks hitting on a 1+ and although they can now realistically hurt your character, it would still take some six rounds of a Fire Giant fullattacking to drop you, and even if you stand between two fire giants so they get a flanking bonus and just full attack each other, chances are that you'll win that damage race. Again, before any maneuvers are used. May I suggest you swap some tanky Ancient skills like  Vanguard or Natural Insight for more utility stuff like Traveling or Blink Cut or Personal Book?

I can't remember ever spending this much time and effort on a race decision before.

Fuck it, I'm an android.  Killer robot is just too good to pass up.   
Yay! :D

Looking at the arsenal weapons I can see why they aren't supposed to be enchanted, that's way more powerful than a normal weapon.  Honestly I think enchanting those would bump me over into the "too good at killing things" category. I'll pass on enchanting the built-in weapon so don't worry there.

I assume that all Androids are Chobits given the lack of mecha?  I'm perfectly fine with that, I'm thinking about going Chobit if not just because it would make sense.

To be honest kinda planning on adding some mechas here and there that with emerging technology, Automática in particular would have quite a few for their top elite troops. But they'll be using the conversion rules for non-mecha games.

(click to show/hide)
So any mechas in this campaign would be more primitive power armor fluffwise and it'll get me a chance to tweak their stats against a "more normal" party crunchwise.

Do notice your Android's in-built weapon would also have damage reduced as detailed above but still should be pretty strong base with the bonus to hit and special properties.

I leave the decision of Androids in universe and who made me in your capable hands.  My entire backstory so far is now "Killer robot mercenary/assassin" and I'm even willing to make adjustments to that if you come up with an awesome alternative. 

Thanks for the trust, I'll think about it (although if somebody else has suggestions for the place of androids in this world feel free to share with us).

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2019, 07:11:03 AM »
Awesome! What day/time are you roughly thinking of playing? I'm UK time.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2019, 07:23:38 AM »
Eeerr, this campaign will be play-by-post in this forum like my others here, people post when they have the time and it's basically always "on".

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2019, 07:24:44 AM »
Ooh I see sorry. Cheers! Im really liking these homebrew racial classes on the board - I've been looking through them for hours now...

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2019, 08:44:57 AM »
You can assume standard D&D Deities, Bonnie's Domains are Trickery and... Let's say Charm and Community.
Going with Hoar then, the LN demigod of poetic justice and retribution, and picking Law for the final domain choice.

Remember to don't pimp yourself too much, if you're one-rounding fire giants and young adult blue dragons then you may need to pause for a moment.
Is there anything in particular that is over the top or too cheesy?
I think the character is good at what he is intended to do (locking down anything marching towards the squishies) and has a few tricks for times when that isn't appropriate, but is definitively not someone who one-shots giants and dragons.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2019, 09:26:28 AM »
I can work with all of that. Now that I've got a race I can finalize my stats which has been holding up a lot.

I just have to decide regular android vs chobit and that should be simple.

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2019, 10:23:19 AM »
Hey Osle - I'm possibly looking at a Troll/BladeRager/Warblade base mix - troll doesnt say about what armour it can wear, only weapons? I get that warblade will eventually allow me to wear various armours but is there some restriction here or was it just forgotten? http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=269.0

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2019, 10:29:17 AM »
If it doesn't say, you don't start with armour proficiency.

Also my first thought was Troll/Badger/Warblade.

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2019, 10:31:08 AM »
Coolio. I wont even need it actually if im going bladerager.

Uh, did you mean you misread as 'badger' or you wanted this setup too? :P

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2019, 10:36:26 AM »
I misread it as badger.

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2019, 10:53:08 AM »
 :lol

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2019, 01:28:25 PM »
Hey Osle - If I took say 5 levels of monstrous crab and took Crab Battle on one side of gestalt, then on the other side took 4 levels of (say) fighter, then 1 of warblade, would I have a total IL of 5, since the monstrous crab levels are supposed to be at full IL as per Crab Battle, and from what I understand, you take the "best" of everything at each level for gestalting and apply it to the character? I hope that makes sense, otherwise tell me :D

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2019, 03:19:37 PM »
Not entirely sure how that makes sense.

As a cleric under Bonnie myself I'll be using Trickery... Not sure which of the other two domains. They both have some useful tricks in them.

Also, so any ideas who the second team is working for?

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2019, 03:43:19 PM »
HP rollo
Rolled 9d12 : 5, 12, 11, 12, 4, 3, 9, 6, 2, total 64