Author Topic: 3.5 Deepwood Sniper  (Read 8836 times)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
3.5 Deepwood Sniper
« on: November 07, 2011, 08:38:22 PM »
This is something I worked on at Gleemax about two years ago and it fell into archives.  Vynar PMed me and I thought I'd bring it here.  I modified a few things (namely the Take Aim ability), and I'm open to some suggestions for improvement.  Let me know what you think.

______

Deepwood Sniper
Hit Die: d8.

REQUIREMENTS

To qualify to become a deepwood sniper, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
Base Attack Bonus: +5.
Skills: Hide 4 ranks, Move Silently 4 ranks, Spot 4 ranks.
Feats: Far Shot, Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus (any bow or crossbow).

2    +2   +0    +3    +0    Improved Critical
3    +3   +1    +3    +1    Bonus feat
4    +4   +1    +4    +1    Take aim +2
5    +5   +1    +4    +1    Weapon specialization
6    +6   +2    +5    +2    Bonus feat, Ranged precision
7    +7   +2    +5    +2    Camouflage
8    +8   +2    +6    +2    Take aim +4
9    +9   +3    +6    +3    Bonus feat
10   +10  +3    +7    +3    Greater Critical

CLASS SKILLS

The deepwood sniper’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Intelligence modifier.

CLASS FEATURES

All of the following are features of the deepwood sniper prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Deepwood snipers gain no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Safe Poison Use (Ex): At 1st level, a deepwood sniper can use poison without any chance of poisoning herself.

Range Increment Bonus (Ex): With each class level the deepwood sniper gains, the range increment of her projectile weapons increase by +10 feet (added after all multipliers).

Improved Critical (Ex): At 2nd level, the deepwood sniper gains the Improved Critical feat. This feat must be applied to the bow or crossbow for which she has taken the Weapon Focus Feat. She gains this feat even if she does not meet the prerequisites.

Bonus Feat: At 3rd level the deepwood sniper gains a bonus feat, selected from the following list: Alertness, Crossbow Sniper, Deadeye Shot, Improved Initiative, Improved Precise Shot, Improved Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Penetrating Shot, Precise Shot, Quick Reconnoiter, Ranged Disarm, Ranged Pin, Ranged Weapon Mastery, Rapid Reload, Rapid Shot, Sharp-Shooting, Shot on the Run, and Stealthy. She must still meet the prerequisites as normal. She gains an additional bonus feat at 6th and 9th levels.

Take Aim (Ex): A 4th-level deepwood sniper can gain a +2 bonus on her attack rolls against a stationary target by aiming carefully. If the target has partial concealment or cover, she may ignore it. She also gains an additional 2d6 precision damage to the attack, if within 30 feet. This damage does not apply to creatures immune to critical hits. The extra damage is not multiplied during a critical hit. Taking aim is a standard action, and if the target moves more than 5 feet during that period, the bonus is lost. No additional benefit exists for spending more than one round aiming. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level, and the precision damage increases to +4d6 damage.

Weapon Specialization: A deepwood sniper of 5th level or higher gains Weapon Specialization as a bonus feat. It must be applied to a bow or crossbow with which the sniper has taken the Weapon Focus feat.  She gains this feat even if she does not meet the prerequisites.

Ranged Precision: At 6th level, a deepwood sniper adds 30 feet to the range of all precision based damage (including her take aim ability, as well as sneak attack, sudden attack, and skirmish, as well as any others she might have).

Camouflage (Ex): A deepwood sniper of 7th level or higher can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if the terrain doesn’t grant cover or concealment.

Greater Critical (Ex): At 10th level, the threat range of her bow or crossbow becomes triple its original value. So a crossbow's critical would become 15-20x2, and a bow's would become 18-20x3. This ability is applied to the bow or crossbow with which she gained the Improved Critical feat for at 2nd level.  This overlaps the increased threat range provided by Improved Critical and does not stack with it, nor does it stack with the Keen ability.

My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.