Author Topic: Fun Finds v4.0  (Read 328650 times)

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v4.0
« Reply #220 on: June 14, 2013, 12:04:37 AM »
Probably involves the Arcane Preparation feat (CA).

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2013, 01:10:30 AM »
... But Keen specifically states it doesn't stack with any other effect that expands a critical threat range ...

well then I guess you're stuck w 10-20 and 4-20 :P
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2013, 10:28:21 AM »
Immoth (CR 9 creature, MM2 pg. 127): "Ice Runes (Sp): "Any spell an immoth has prepared can be inscribed on an ice nugget. The creature can trigger the spell contained in such an ice rune as a free action. An ice rune remains magical until triggered by the immoth. Each immoth has at least 3d4+12 ice runes embedded on its body."

So it can cast up to 24 spells, all as free actions, in the FIRST ROUND.

Worthy of necro-ing.  Campaign Smasher.
iirc - this is the Immoth Break by Soluphobe.
Which has been lost to the wotc changeovers.

There's a trick to the Prepared vs. Sorc casting something.
Like with just one feat, and it's Beholder Mage Lite (or wtf).

Can anyone remember this trick?

isn't that the feat that allows spontaneous casters to prepare spells?

... But Keen specifically states it doesn't stack with any other effect that expands a critical threat range ...

well then I guess you're stuck w 10-20 and 4-20 :P

you should be able to add weapon master or psi weapon master to increase that even more.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »
Immoth (CR 9 creature, MM2 pg. 127): "Ice Runes (Sp): "Any spell an immoth has prepared can be inscribed on an ice nugget. The creature can trigger the spell contained in such an ice rune as a free action. An ice rune remains magical until triggered by the immoth. Each immoth has at least 3d4+12 ice runes embedded on its body."

So it can cast up to 24 spells, all as free actions, in the FIRST ROUND.

Worthy of necro-ing.  Campaign Smasher.
iirc - this is the Immoth Break by Soluphobe.
Which has been lost to the wotc changeovers.

There's a trick to the Prepared vs. Sorc casting something.
Like with just one feat, and it's Beholder Mage Lite (or wtf).

Can anyone remember this trick?

isn't that the feat that allows spontaneous casters to prepare spells?

*Cough*

Probably involves the Arcane Preparation feat (CA).

Offline TravelLog

• Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »
Each day, you can use one or more of your spell slots to prepare spells you know. (Usually, you do this in order to apply a metamagic feat to the spell.) Thereafter, you can cast that spell as a standard action even if you apply a metamagic feat to the spell as you cast it. Preparing a spell uses a slot of the appropriate level. Once the spell is prepared, you can't use that spell slot for anything else until you cast the prepared spell.

But then you couldn't use the spells in your runes as a free action...
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 14, 2013, 11:46:19 AM »
Each day, you can use one or more of your spell slots to prepare spells you know. (Usually, you do this in order to apply a metamagic feat to the spell.) Thereafter, you can cast that spell as a standard action even if you apply a metamagic feat to the spell as you cast it. Preparing a spell uses a slot of the appropriate level. Once the spell is prepared, you can't use that spell slot for anything else until you cast the prepared spell.

But then you couldn't use the spells in your runes as a free action...
Wait a second... can you cast longer-casting-time spells as a standard action with this feat?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 14, 2013, 11:58:16 AM »
The version in my copy of Complete Arcane doesn't have anything about casting it as a standard action.  Too bad.

Offline TravelLog

• Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »
Ah. That one was PG to Faerun. This is Complete Arcane:

Each day, you can use one or more of your spell slots to prepare spells you know, usually for the purpose of applying a metamagic feat to the spell--but without an increase in its casting time. Preparing a spell uses a spell slot of the appropriate level, and once prepared, that slot can't be used for anything else until the prepared spell is cast.

And you know what's horrendous? The Immoth puts spells into their ice runes regardless of level, so you can stack any and all metamagic feats, or just toss in as many high levels spells as desired.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:37:18 PM by TravelLog »
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #228 on: June 14, 2013, 12:16:33 PM »

*Cough*

oh yeah, you kinda said that already. and i even read that. gah.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 14, 2013, 01:36:58 PM »

*Cough*

oh yeah, you kinda said that already. and i even read that. gah.
;)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 15, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »
 :) yeah that's the one.

So the standard Immoth can't do this, but when
he was hangin' with his boyz way back when,
they talked each other into "doing it" (the feat).
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 15, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »
Radiant creature (Dragon 321, p74) is a +3 LA template that can be applied to almost any player race.  Warforged, neraph, hairy spider, and glimmerfolk are the noteworthy exceptions.  (It can be applied to any aberration, animal, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid.) 

As a radiant creature, you cannot be blinded, dazed, dazzled, or stunned.  With the exception of dazzled, those are pretty nasty status conditions.  Dazed is incredibly hard to get immunity to. 

You gain fast healing 2 as long as you're exposed to a light source other than yourself.  (Oh, you glow, by the way.)  You can just get continual flame cast on some of your stuff.  You're going to be a walking beacon anyway. 

You gain some nice spell-like abilities based on your hit dice.  These are, in the order you gain them: color spray 3/day, blur 3/day, mirror image 1/day, searing light 1/day, freedom of movement 1/day, rainbow pattern 1/day, prismatic spray 1/day, repulsion 1/day, scintillating pattern 1/day, and prismatic sphere 1/day.  As usual, the magic in the blood feat (Player's Guide to Faerun, p40) should work to upgrade those all to 3/day. 

The ability adjustments are +4 dexterity and +6 charisma.  It's a shame sorcerer would suffer so much from the level adjustment.  At the very least, the spell-like abilities from the template get a boost to save DC. 

You become a native outsider, giving you immunity to certain spells, martial weapon proficiency, and darkvision. 

You gain a supernatural ability called rainbow aura, which you should probably get rid of by paying someone to cast ability rip (Serpent Kingdoms, p155).  It dazzles creatures within 30 feet that fail a will save.  That would be a lot of die rolling for a small benefit even if you could exclude your allies.  Ability rip should also remove the -8 racial penalty on hide checks, since it's noted as being a result of rainbow aura. 

You gain DR/magic, which might conceivably prevent a bit of damage at some point.  You also gain a +4 racial bonus on spot checks. 

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 15, 2013, 06:40:54 PM »
:D :D

the artificer gets too many bonus feats, as said in the following...
Quote from: Bonus Feats
An artificer gains every item creation feat at or near the level at which it becomes available for spellcasters.*snip*

this means you get many more feats than listed. They only name the PHB ones in the ability.
ex- Attune Gem, Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, etc.
This is the most wonderful case of text trumps table I've seen since Rainbow Servant.
Except that it is basically fluff, just like how the barbarian is supposed to be the best dps fighter or whatever. Even if it weren't see below. You can of course head into TO by purposely choosing the most abusive interpretation while ignoring lower-powered once, if you'd like.

I used to get paid vast sums of money to find loop holes in contracts. Trust me. It's a requirement for qualification.

You get X when you meet requirement A or B.

You get any given item creation feat when you are:
(A) "at" the level that any spellcaster would qualify for it,
OR
(B) "near" the level that any spellcaster would qualify for it.

We cannot define B. We can only define A. Therefore, you get it whenever you qualify for A. Nobody will ever get an item creation feat from qualification B.
The last sentence. So exactly. You only get the ones listed in the chart and no others

Also, you're RL example seemed like Karma and why to not be LE.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #233 on: June 15, 2013, 11:34:39 PM »
Also, you're RL example seemed like Karma and why to not be LE.

On the surface, it would seem I'm Karma's bitch. I've had a life chock full of strange event.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
Sprayer
« Reply #234 on: June 16, 2013, 12:53:57 AM »
SPRAYER
(click to show/hide)
Editor: Read it. Any fluid, from water-like to oil-like, can be poured in and then sprayed out into a 10'x5' cloud. Anything. True, it doesn't react well to acid. Well, that's what glassteel is for. Anyways, who cares if it eats the container away, if the acid does area effect damage? Got a friend who's suffering from the "Caught on fire" condition? A "dense" cloud of water should qualify for the condition to put him out. Now, what does that mean about grenade-like weapons?
Editor (Splash Weapons): Well, since this weapon is made specifically to fill up two squares and two squares only with a dense cloud, I’d say that it does full damage to both squares, but does not splash out to any other squares. So you got a trade off. If you throw the flask of a given grenade like effect, it can go out to five times your range, which is typically in 10 foot increments. Then it affects the target you hit, and 5 feet around the point of impact. Or you can use a sprayer to only go out 10 feet, never miss, but always have full effect in those two squares. Sounds like a fair trade off to me. Concentration in exchange for range and area of effect.
Editor (Alchemist’s Spark): It normally wouldn’t work, but you could make it with two chambers that it sprays from at the same time. 1d8 electrical in two squares, baby!
Editor (Oils and Potions): Why limit ourselves to just alchemy items? Sure, Alchemy has all the fun stuff, but what about magic potions? True, only one target can take advantage of a potion, but what would happen if you loaded one into a sprayer and sprayed your ally? The first person to inhale should get the effect. Boo-yah! Healing with potion at 10 feet! If you got a problem with that, make it the Oil version of the potion and tighten up the nozzle. Make oil of Grease spell and spray your enemies, that are ten feet in front of you. So MANY possibilities with this one. However, to be fair, as a DM, I would only have a sprayed “Potion of” or “Oil Of” something effect the first target. So if two people are standing in a line, the first one gets hit and takes the full effect of the sprayed substance.
Editor (Gaseous Form): Here’s a twisted use. Does your enemy have skin? Oil of gaseous form and a oil of bestow curse combined into a sprayer. Your target makes a saving throw or turns into gaseous form that lasts the full duration of the gaseous form spell against their will. Now that’s a weapon that’ll scare the crap out of your players. “OMG, you disintegrated him?”
Editor (Sticky): There are a number of alchemy items I’d like to spray, but the item descriptions state that they are sticky. I’d be a kind DM and allow a +10 to the alchemy DC to craft the substance so you could load it into a sprayer, but that’s just me. Most of the time, you’d be better off just throwing the item. The only advantage of the sprayer is, if you are within 10 feet, it doesn’t miss.
Editor (Windy): On the wind table, when you get to strong winds (21-30 mph) candles are automatically put out. This is one step below the power of a gust of wind spell. I would rule, as a DM, that in strong winds, any use of a sprayer is useless, as the cloud disperses before it can have any effect.
Editor (Invisible targets): Alas, it only works for an instant, but should narrow down the square he’s in, showing a brief outline of the invisible person should allow you to reduce your miss chance to partial concealment. Although someone else will have to take advantage of it, or you’ll have to use this in your off hand and take a two weapon fighting penalty. Adding the WSA revealing should outline them with faerie fire. Or just use liquid light, watch them glow for the next 1d4 hours.
Editor (Screaming Flask): The screaming flask comes in a hat. Yes, you read that right, it’s in your hat. You activate it and it shoots out of your hat in a cone. Personally, I’d allow someone to modify it to work in a sprayer, so you’d spray in a 15 foot cone. Then you could add WSA screaming or any of the other Sonic based WSAs for a synergistic effect. Frankly, it’s a cool alchemy item, but it’s in your hat. Seriously? You activate it as close to your ears as possible? A sonic attack? Really? “Och! It’s so stimulating being your hat!” - The Hat, Labyrinth
Editor (Weaponize): Is it a weapon? Well, considering I can fire it at someone, and there are many examples of ranged weapons that fire liquids and powders at people, I have to say a resounding, YES. What’s that leave us? Well, there is no to hit roll, so we can’t have any WSA that activates on a to hit. That leaves out Exit Wound fun. Distance by RAW can’t double the length to 20 feet, but that’s a DM call. Personally, if you are going to spend a whole +1 bonus on your spray can, you should be able to double the range. I’d personally BEG my DM to allow quick loading. True, that’s only for crossbows, and this item doesn’t have a load speed. It’s having 100 “slots” of storage space that makes me want quick loading. Bane (plants) and defoliator are an excellent combo. Binding would just be funny. Burning can set things on fire, which just makes sense with this sort of thing. All the energy damage WSAs would fit, (Corrosive, flaming, frost, etc, etc, etc…) and do damage to anything in both squares. Personally, I think Air Elemental Power would be funny. Spray out an elemental. SQUIRT!

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 16, 2013, 01:12:57 PM »
Throw a mixture in.

it doesn't say it has to originally be a liquid. Throw some contact poison dust in water and squirt
- All Spells
- playground

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 16, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »
Throw a mixture in.

it doesn't say it has to originally be a liquid. Throw some contact poison dust in water and squirt
Dust of Sneezing and Choking?

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
Blowpipes
« Reply #237 on: June 16, 2013, 06:12:01 PM »
Throw a mixture in.

Actually, that reminds me...

(click to show/hide)

I cannot find any rules on blowpipes. Anyone have anything or any direction I can go? Also, it's one of the rare triple weapons: Short sword, blowpipe, club! The problem is, I have no idea where to find any rules on blowpipes. If I do, I'm going to have to add powders to my list of ammunition.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 16, 2013, 06:34:54 PM »
Masters of the Wild and Complete Warrior's update might help...

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 16, 2013, 06:39:45 PM »
Throw a mixture in.

you'd think wet dust wouldn't work, but it works exactly the same
- All Spells
- playground