Author Topic: A Campaign to Fund a Campaign. Are You Interested?  (Read 15619 times)

Offline Lycanthromancer

• View Profile
Re: A Campaign to Fund a Campaign. Are You Interested?
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2015, 03:09:55 AM »
Okay, guys.

Solo and I have some new content just about ready for consumption, after a few rounds of last-minute editing and a few bits and bobs that need polished up and finished off. It's not an adventure, but it's material that part of the campaign will revolve around.

I want to start up a Patreon campaign and have a way to distribute content, but this is something that feels rather daunting and out of my league. I've never had a webpage or started up something that feels like an actual business, and I feel that I need some help to get this going in a professional-feeling manner. I want people to see that this is a serious start to a long-term project with quite a few people invested in it, so they're more likely to invest their money into it on a regular basis.

Having a clear-cut idea of what we're doing and how we're going about doing it will help a great deal for getting things started. I have a general idea of how I want things to end up, but getting there is the challenge.

I want to release general D&D homebrew content -- new ToB-esque schools, spells, psionic powers, monsters, adventures, items, and so on -- all released with a critical eye towards professional presentation, balance (or at least not utter brokenness), and fun. I also want to release fiction, art, and other fun stuff to keep people coming back for more.

Has anyone here done a project like this before? I'd love to have a definite sense of stability here, working with someone who knows what they're doing and who has enough experience to know the right questions to ask and how to go about finding the answers to them.

[edit] Bhu, would you mind if we added your content to the Patreon campaign, beyond just using them in adventures? You will be credited for your work.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 03:31:03 AM by Lycanthromancer »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2015, 03:35:08 AM »
Sure.  Some of my work is older stuff tho, and badly needs revising.  Lemme know what you want so I can spiff it up in time.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2015, 07:47:14 AM »
Do you guys have a domain name yet (or a domain name in mind - it can always start on a free domain on free hosting)?  Once you do, just let me know and give me an idea for a general theme (colors, notable logo, etc).

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2015, 08:58:22 AM »
I want to release general D&D homebrew content -- new ToB-esque schools, spells, psionic powers, monsters, adventures, items, and so on -- all released with a critical eye towards professional presentation, balance (or at least not utter brokenness), and fun.

Lycan, if any of my homebrew would prove useful, feel free to borrow. Almost all of it is in my extended signature thread, except for Wasteland magic, which I haven't gotten around to adding to it. There's everything from multiple book sized magic systems to stand-alone classes to an (incomplete) campaign setting with adventures, so I suspect there's one or two items that might prove appropriate.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2015, 01:47:33 PM »

Has anyone here done a project like this before? I'd love to have a definite sense of stability here, working with someone who knows what they're doing and who has enough experience to know the right questions to ask and how to go about finding the answers to them.

I have helped people with this sort of thing, though I have not yet done one of my own. Not sure if you'll count that or not.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2015, 05:09:43 PM »
I want to release general D&D homebrew content -- new ToB-esque schools, spells, psionic powers, monsters, adventures, items, and so on -- all released with a critical eye towards professional presentation, balance (or at least not utter brokenness), and fun.

Lycan, if any of my homebrew would prove useful, feel free to borrow. Almost all of it is in my extended signature thread, except for Wasteland magic, which I haven't gotten around to adding to it. There's everything from multiple book sized magic systems to stand-alone classes to an (incomplete) campaign setting with adventures, so I suspect there's one or two items that might prove appropriate.

Anything based on Strat's Historian based casting mechanic would be phenomenal IMO.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2015, 05:22:38 PM »

Anything based on Strat's Historian based casting mechanic would be phenomenal IMO.

While I am immensely fond of that class, I'm not entirely sure it's the best place to start with my material. It's 35,000 words long and incomplete, as it's missing two sets of eras (Skill and Nature) among other things, and comes with this warning from SirPercival (who brought it over here before I joined the boards): "It's an extremely complicated class to play, and not recommended for the beginning player."

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2015, 01:40:55 AM »
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline Lycanthromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2015, 07:23:33 PM »
Alrighty, folks. It's time to release some of what we've done, up for your perusal and critique. Solo is posting it here.

It's a martial adept school called the Tempest Fury school, for swordsages and warblades. It focuses on swift, powerful strikes, electricity and sonic damage, and moving like the wind. Its effects are slightly more powerful than some other schools, but you're limited to using Tempest Fury weapons for the strikes, which were chosen from the less-optimized and under-utilized weapon types.

The school itself will play a role in the campaign, and it's thematically appropriate for a campaign involving the stormy, tempestuous sea.

Let us know what you think about it.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2015, 02:23:25 AM »
Is discussion in this thread or over there?

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2015, 02:29:55 AM »
Here is good.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2015, 02:42:14 AM »
Does immunity to electricity damage affect Static Shock?

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2015, 02:44:53 AM »
No.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2015, 02:45:56 AM »
Personal Magnetism seems a tad dangerous  :o

also does it disarm?

How long is the Dazzling Effect for Lightning Bolts?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:50:27 AM by bhu »

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2015, 02:59:35 AM »
I'm going to make it one minute for now.

I don't think we want Personal Magnetism to disarm people, but I'm open to the idea.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 03:01:15 AM by Solo »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2016, 03:09:58 AM »
Seeing as Im trying to rebalance the ToB I've realized how far apart the schools are in terms of power.  What power level were you going for?