Author Topic: The Nonfictional People Strike Back(OOC)  (Read 32085 times)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: The Nonfictional People Strike Back(OOC)
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2016, 11:14:09 PM »
Maybe take the Weapon Finesse you're not looking for for Cha instead of Str to damage?

BAB +0

Right, feat at 1st level, so even though you have the BAB now it's a level too late.

How are you getting Combat Expertise, though? It requires 13 Int. I'm not really sure why you're taking only 10 Str if you're going for improved trip. Are you going to reliably enough make those opposed Strength checks?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2016, 07:36:38 AM »
Sigh. For some reason my brain skipped over that one. And the reason feats are listed as TBD is there don't seem to be that many good choices for the Commander, since it's a homebrew Marshal class. So time to invent some. Quill, please note that I don't meet the prereqs for all of these feats (I do for some), I just had fun inventing them.

Focused Choice
Prerequisites: Aptitude Focus ability
Benefit: You increase the bonuses granted by a single aptitude focus by +2.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time it applies to a different aptitude focus.

Commander's Will
Prerequisites: Commander, Marshal, Dragon Shaman, Overlord, or similar aura ability
Benefit: You increase your aura bonus for your auras by +1

By My Guiding Hand
Prerequisites: Commander, Marshal, Dragon Shaman, Overlord, or similar aura ability
Benefit: Allies who are adjacent to one another and under the effect of an aura you have created gain a +1 bonus to AC. Should you be adjacent to an ally, you do not gain the bonus, but they do. Allies who are flat-footed do not gain the benefits, and do not count as adjacent. Alternately, as a swift action you may choose to change the benefits from this to a +1 bonus to attack, losing the +1 bonus to AC for one round. All conditions still apply.

Coordinator
Prerequisites: Warcraft 4
Benefit: When a leader uses the Coordinate Allies feature of warcraft, affected allies gain 3 teamwork benefits, instead of 1.

Presence of Command
Benefit: When a leader uses the Commanding Presence feature of warcraft, the auras it provide last for one hour.

In The Thick of It
Benefit: When a leader uses the Lead from the Front feature of warcraft, the bonuses increase by +2.

Presence of Command
Benefit: When a leader uses the Lead from the Rear feature of warcraft, all allies within 30 ft do not generate attacks of opportunity from movement.

Overwatch
Prerequisites: BAB +1, proficiency with a ranged weapon
Benefit: You may ready an action to shoot the next foe who attacks an ally in melee combat. If you do and then successfully hit that foe, the foe takes a -4 penalty on all attack rolls made against the protected ally.

Ability Upon Command
Prerequisites: Ability Boon ability
Benefit: You increase the ability bonus granted by your class feature by +2.

For Quill, is the Warcraft skill acceptable? The Commander would have it as a class skill if so.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2016, 04:25:39 PM »
What if I want a junky 1 HD humanoid skeleton that I can get for free?  Is that a thing I can do?  What would you allow for free?

I am sure we can source a humanoid corpse pretty sharpish.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2016, 04:51:04 PM »
What if I want a junky 1 HD humanoid skeleton that I can get for free?  Is that a thing I can do?  What would you allow for free?

I want to start with one, not for strategic purposes but for a joke that will develop over time.  That's why I'm asking about getting a piece of junk skeleton for free.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2016, 05:05:38 PM »

I want to start with one, not for strategic purposes but for a joke that will develop over time.  That's why I'm asking about getting a piece of junk skeleton for free.

Well you can't have Bob. He's mine. Even if he is a 1st level Commoner.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2016, 05:29:05 PM »

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio. Still do. Say "hi", Yorick.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2016, 05:31:36 PM »
You seem to have money to spare, but if it has to be free, pick an animal common enough that you could just have gone and killed one for the necromancy without too much trouble. You're right that a skeleton should be much cheaper than an intact corpse, though; maybe 1/3 as much?

I don't think humanoid corpses should be too easy to come by (a skeleton costs several thousand IRL), but if you need 900 gp of gear and a skeleton to make your build and concept work it's not a big deal.

Note that WBL is an abstraction, and the cost doesn't necessarily mean you bought the corpse; it just means you have that much less starting money, to balance out the fact that you have a free corpse.

Sigh. For some reason my brain skipped over that one. And the reason feats are listed as TBD is there don't seem to be that many good choices for the Commander, since it's a homebrew Marshal class. So time to invent some. Quill, please note that I don't meet the prereqs for all of these feats (I do for some), I just had fun inventing them.

Focused Choice
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time it applies to a different aptitude focus.
This is much better on some focuses than others, enough so to be maybe a problem. Also, it should clarify that it, for example, increases the combat focus's +3 hp per level to (+3 per level and +2 once), not (+5 per level).

Commander's Will

By My Guiding Hand
Benefit: Allies who are adjacent to one another and under the effect of an aura you have created gain a +1 bonus to AC. Should you be adjacent to an ally, you do not gain the bonus, but they do. Allies who are flat-footed do not gain the benefits, and do not count as adjacent. Alternately, as a swift action you may choose to change the benefits from this to a +1 bonus to attack, losing the +1 bonus to AC for one round. All conditions still apply.
These look reasonable.

For Quill, is the Warcraft skill acceptable? The Commander would have it as a class skill if so.
I'd rather not.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2016, 05:50:46 PM »
The joke isn't worth spending money on so if I have to spend money to get a skeleton then it's not worth it for what I want it for currently.  Also, given the nature of my character I would assume grave-robbing would be my corpse acquisition process if just killing someone and reanimating them is out of the question.  Why pay for a body when people just leave them laying about?  :P

(Yes, I know you already mentioned WBL being an abstraction.  I'm not complaining, just being difficult because now my joke will take longer to happen.  :p)

My brain is now stuck on the joke so I'll probably pass on the animal even if it would make sense logically. 

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2016, 03:57:59 PM »
I totally didn't steal Nanshork's character sheet layout. Not one bit.

On a side note, I was hoping that I could use Craft checks to heal myself (the way warforged do) because if not I will be unable to regain HP without someone bringing repair spells until level 3. I may just invest in a wand of light repair (provided someone can use it)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:03:30 PM by littha »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2016, 04:14:26 PM »
My character sheet layout is available for all to use!  It makes me happy seeing someone else use it.  :)

It looks like you're working from my post, there's a template in my signature if you'd rather work from that.  If nothing else it has all of the skills listed.

(Psst, your stats and skills spoilers need some formatting work.)

Edit: If you didn't notice, the stats, combat, and skills sections are all preformatted text.  You can adjust the spacing and have it actually matter, but it means that you have to fiddle with it to make it line up nicely.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2016, 04:32:03 PM »

On a side note, I was hoping that I could use Craft checks to heal myself (the way warforged do)
You can do that. Also, the party has some Devoted Spirit healing, which isn't positive energy based, and thus will work on a construct.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »

On a side note, I was hoping that I could use Craft checks to heal myself (the way warforged do) because if not I will be unable to regain HP without someone bringing repair spells until level 3. I may just invest in a wand of light repair (provided someone can use it)

I'm kinda surprised the Deathjack doesn't get that Warforged self-repair, too. The lack of any self-sustaining capabilities until 3rd level feels like an oversight to me when you consider that the Deathjack as a monster class is supposed to be played by a player for an extended period of time, not just thrown into an encounter and trounced once.

Stratovarius has a vigor aura (fast healing 2 up to 1/2 max hp), and Nanshork has Crusader's Strike for in-combat healing. Stratovarius also basically gets a Chameleon as a minion, so you can get repair spells on downtime days if needed. If you don't get ruled to have it, it's not the end of the world, at least. I do agree that some form of self-repair in downtime would be appropriate.

Speaking of repair from skills, doesn't a total lack of class skills mean you're limited to 1/2 the normal maximum ranks, too, in addition to spending double points? I can never remember what global rules Oslecamo-style monster classes get, and if there's something in there that changes it.

Edit: Oh, hey, on an unrelated topic, does anybody know of any nocturnal mounts I might be able to make use of?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:52:47 PM by Garryl »

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2016, 09:03:28 PM »
Speaking of repair from skills, doesn't a total lack of class skills mean you're limited to 1/2 the normal maximum ranks, too, in addition to spending double points? I can never remember what global rules Oslecamo-style monster classes get, and if there's something in there that changes it.

Edit: Oh, hey, on an unrelated topic, does anybody know of any nocturnal mounts I might be able to make use of?

I cant believe I forgot something that basic, this is the fist character I have actually built in over a year though so I suppose that makes sense...

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2016, 01:16:45 AM »
I'm done. I may or may not have spent too much time fiddling with equipment. Although if anybody can think of any nocturnal mounts or other horse equivalents that an anthropomorphic bat would ride, I'll probably buy one of those for travel, too.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2016, 01:11:26 PM »
I give up, I'll spend 50gp on a skeleton.  Default Orc Warrior listed in the SRD turned into a skeleton (I'm an orc so it seemed most appropriate.)

Edit: Minion hp, average?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2016, 08:12:47 AM »

Focused Choice
This is much better on some focuses than others, enough so to be maybe a problem. Also, it should clarify that it, for example, increases the combat focus's +3 hp per level to (+3 per level and +2 once), not (+5 per level).

Wasn't meant to apply to hit points at all. I'll note that.

Commander's Will

By My Guiding Hand
These look reasonable.

Given this, I'll probably be taking each of the listed feats (Aptitude Focus (Combat), By My Guiding Hand, Commander's Will) and PBS. I'll also switch the masterwork from the guisarme to the light xbow. I'll definitely be leading from the rear :P

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2016, 10:49:19 AM »
I give up, I'll spend 50gp on a skeleton.  Default Orc Warrior listed in the SRD turned into a skeleton (I'm an orc so it seemed most appropriate.)

Average, yes.
I wasn't going to tell you this, but I suppose I may as well: even before you decided to play a death knight, I had an adventure planned involving a graveyard; if you decide not to buy a skeleton, you probably won't have to wait too long to find one, for what it's worth. Really, y'all's character concepts are remarkably well suited to certain aspects of this campaign.

Solo hasn't posted in the subforum yet, but I think he's still around. Dr_Emperor said "I'm going on a honeymoon this week and next", and has indeed been gone about that long.
I'm thinking I'll start an IC thread when the four of you currently present have finished characters (character sheets look good; a short background/description section would be helpful, though, if you have the time and inclination), and the other two can be introduced later.

Tr'Bon's (I can't pronounce that!) HP doesn't reflect the maximized level 1 HD, by the way.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2016, 11:14:49 AM »

Average, yes.
I wasn't going to tell you this, but I suppose I may as well: even before you decided to play a death knight, I had an adventure planned involving a graveyard; if you decide not to buy a skeleton, you probably won't have to wait too long to find one, for what it's worth. Really, y'all's character concepts are remarkably well suited to certain aspects of this campaign.

Can do.  It's okay, I was honestly running out of things to spend money on.  It'll work out just fine this way.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2016, 05:09:06 PM »
Tr'Bon's (I can't pronounce that!) HP doesn't reflect the maximized level 1 HD, by the way.

Just be thankful I didn't use Welsh. Ymerawdwyr is the first name of one of my characters who did. Don't ask me how to pronounce it either :P

Updated HD, switched xbow to masterwork, added feats. Just need to do Bob's feats.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »
So, background (while I try to figure out how to spend the rest of my money).  I feel like the deathbot and I should be traveling companions pre-campaign.