Author Topic: The Blah Blah Blah Inn (OOC)  (Read 159348 times)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
Re: The Blah Blah Blah Inn (OOC)
« Reply #680 on: November 19, 2015, 11:14:55 AM »
Does casting or standing up from prone provoke attacks of opportunity in 5th ed?

Could you also update the map when you get a chance? I would like to know whether the rest of the party is close enough to witness my death.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:16:33 AM by crazy_sherm »

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: November 19, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »
Does casting or standing up from prone provoke attacks of opportunity in 5th ed?

Could you also update the map when you get a chance? I would like to know whether the rest of the party is close enough to witness my death.

The rules are really simplified in 5E and you only provoke an attack of opportunity if you move out of the reach of a threatening creature. Standing up from prone shouldn't provoke but it does eat up your movement. Casting won't provoke either, however, if the spell in question has an attack roll associated with it, you have disadvantage on that roll.
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: November 19, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »
Dixon's answer is correct. Standing from prone takes half your movement (15 feet in your case), and does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Same goes for spellcasting, no provoking there either. Any ranged attack, including ranged spell attacks, made while adjacent to an enemy are at disadvantage.

I'll also emphasize that the attack of opportunity only comes when you leave an enemy's reach. In 3e it was leaving a square. You can circle the creature without provoking now, which is kinda funny, but makes sense if you picture yourself facing the enemy and sidestepping a lot.
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 19, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »
So I can use the Disengage action, stand up and move 15' away, right?

Hmm...fight or flee...? :bigeyes

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 19, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »
Correct.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 19, 2015, 06:34:59 PM »
So, I found a OneNote notebook on Reddit with the basic 5E rules. I've started keeping game notes in it, and I gotta say, props to Microsoft for making something other than Excel that is incredibly useful.

I basically have a 5e wiki that I can keep personal notes in, complete with screenshots, links, and searchable text.  I had the spell Melisander just cast at my fingertips for reference. It takes a while to set up, but I'm finding it well worth it.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 19, 2015, 06:38:10 PM »
So, I found a OneNote notebook on Reddit with the basic 5E rules. I've started keeping game notes in it, and I gotta say, props to Microsoft for making something other than Excel that is incredibly useful.

I basically have a 5e wiki that I can keep personal notes in, complete with screenshots, links, and searchable text.  I had the spell Melisander just cast at my fingertips for reference. It takes a while to set up, but I'm finding it well worth it.

Is this something that is a template that we can grab? If so, would you share the link? OneNote is incredibly useful but it requires you to use office. I use Evernote instead because of that and the facts that it's cross platform.

EDIT - I found the link - https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/3h9mep/dd_5e_one_note_edition_update_xpost_from_dndnext/
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:40:09 PM by Kazgaroth »

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 19, 2015, 06:45:01 PM »
Link to Reddit post

Yes, it does require Office. I have the basic 365 set up at home for the occasional Excel work and OneNote. I use the cloud storage to sync to my phone for easy access through the Android app.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 22, 2015, 12:18:41 AM »
Map updated.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 22, 2015, 05:04:56 PM »
The only issue I have with the ruling on the Phantasmal Force spell was how quickly the weretiger(?) was able to realize to use an investigation check. The way I think of illusions vs phantasms is that illusions are more like holograms like seeing Tupac perform at Coachella. Interacting with the illusion will give you immediate clues that something is amiss.

I consider a phantasm to be more of a hallucination, like something a schizophrenic would imagine. The hallucination is so strong that a schizophrenic would hurt someone or themselves if necessary to act accordingly with the hallucination. It's perceived as much more vivid and "real" to the person affected than an illusion, so much so that even in the spell description, the person will try to use logic to explain the illogical like falling off a bridge that's not really there.

If the situation was reversed and you had cast Phantasmal Force on one of us, you wouldn't expect us to immediately investigate the object/creature. It would require some prompting at least, most likely from a fellow party member telling us it wasn't real. I feel there would have to be some notion of doubt inserted into the situation first before an investigation check would be warranted. Since the weretiger was alone (I hope) and there had not been any prompting yet, I was hoping to get at least a round or two. Like, maybe, when he sees Gorbug walk right through the flames and try to whack him, he would think something was up. Because, I'm sure if some wizard cast a flaming cage around me, my immediate reaction wouldn't be "Hey, let me take a closer look at this fiery infernal of a prison."

That being said, you did roll with disadvantage and still were able to beat it on straight rolls. So it wasn't easy and you did roll well. Can't really complain about that.

On a slightly separate note, I'm finding illusions to be pretty fun. How come we never seemed to use them much in the past? Gnomes definitely know where the fun is. Half cup joke, full cup of awesome.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: November 22, 2015, 05:23:27 PM »
I get that.

In my mind, he was searching for a way out, not suspicious of the presence of an illusion. More like he was looking for a gap in the flames and realized that they actually don't exist.

I realize it's a grey area, and that's why I wanted to explain my line of thinking. I'm not trying to screw you over, or minimize the effectiveness of illusions. I agree that they're awesome. I think we were taught that they weren't going to be effective in the past. Cases where the target of the spell knew it was an illusion because "it was obvious." Screw that. But just like I don't expect you to sit on your butt each round, intelligent enemies won't either.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 22, 2015, 08:53:57 PM »
The only issue I have with the ruling on the Phantasmal Force spell was how quickly the weretiger(?) was able to realize to use an investigation check. The way I think of illusions vs phantasms is that illusions are more like holograms like seeing Tupac perform at Coachella. Interacting with the illusion will give you immediate clues that something is amiss.

I consider a phantasm to be more of a hallucination, like something a schizophrenic would imagine. The hallucination is so strong that a schizophrenic would hurt someone or themselves if necessary to act accordingly with the hallucination. It's perceived as much more vivid and "real" to the person affected than an illusion, so much so that even in the spell description, the person will try to use logic to explain the illogical like falling off a bridge that's not really there.

If the situation was reversed and you had cast Phantasmal Force on one of us, you wouldn't expect us to immediately investigate the object/creature. It would require some prompting at least, most likely from a fellow party member telling us it wasn't real. I feel there would have to be some notion of doubt inserted into the situation first before an investigation check would be warranted. Since the weretiger was alone (I hope) and there had not been any prompting yet, I was hoping to get at least a round or two. Like, maybe, when he sees Gorbug walk right through the flames and try to whack him, he would think something was up. Because, I'm sure if some wizard cast a flaming cage around me, my immediate reaction wouldn't be "Hey, let me take a closer look at this fiery infernal of a prison."

That being said, you did roll with disadvantage and still were able to beat it on straight rolls. So it wasn't easy and you did roll well. Can't really complain about that.

On a slightly separate note, I'm finding illusions to be pretty fun. How come we never seemed to use them much in the past? Gnomes definitely know where the fun is. Half cup joke, full cup of awesome.

Illusions have always been a powerful spell option if you have the imagination for it. It's always been a pain to adjudicate because it requires both parties to be open minded about it.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 24, 2015, 04:14:16 PM »
Yeah, I guess I couldn't imagine Ken wanting to play along that much with the illusions. He would probably make it so that everytime we cast an illusion spell, it would summon a demon that would turn one of the PCs evil and then Justin's character would die in an unrelated manner.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 24, 2015, 05:03:14 PM »
Illusions are tricky because for them to work, they rely on the mindset of the observer. Use too many illusions, and an enemy might start ignoring your spells.

If you try to change an environment the target is familiar with (a fake wall in a familiar hallway, for example) they will be more likely to notice.

In this case, the Were... I mean the MONSTER wasn't looking for an illusion. He was looking for a way out. In looking, he realized that "there is no spoon."

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 26, 2015, 06:00:52 PM »
I am thankful for good friends and roleplaying games.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 27, 2015, 12:05:41 AM »
I am thankful for good friends and roleplaying games.

I'm thankful I don't have to eat this thing https://twitter.com/damana/status/412528192797151232/photo/1 for Thanksgiving :twitch

Hope everyone is enjoying their Thanksgiving  :)

Offline Divalo

• Gnoob
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 01, 2015, 03:15:54 PM »
Hey guys hope the holiday was fattening to you all.  I'd hate to be the only one  :D

Sorry I've only been able to update sporadically of late.  Work and life in general has been a bit busy but I'm hoping to help move our crawl along on a more regular basis going forward. 
You know where you are!?  You in the Myrkviðr baby!  You gonna diiiiiiiiiieee!

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 03, 2015, 11:48:17 AM »
Speaking of updating sporadically, I'll be in Disneyland next week.  I'll have access via my phone, but I won't be checking it as often.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 05, 2015, 12:59:23 AM »
FYI: Unless the spell says otherwise, we don't add our attribute modifier to spell damage.

Notable exceptions:
Warlocks add their Cha modifier to Eldritch Blast if they have the right invocation.
Some Cleric domains give Wis mod to cantrip damage.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: December 06, 2015, 07:58:56 PM »
Added DM ruling to Sherman's post.