Author Topic: Improving an item  (Read 1755 times)

Offline RealMarkP

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Improving an item
« on: December 21, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »
Lets say you have a ring of Sustenance (which is roughly equivalent to a +1 item). Here are my questions:

1. Can you improve rings? If so, what's the cost?
2. Can you, instead of casting a spell into a ring, use a scroll as the magical source for the ring?
3. Is it possible to make a ring of Presditigiation with an unlimited charges and command-word activation?

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
Re: Improving an item
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »
Can you improve rings? If so, what's the cost?

Yes, you can improve rings.

The cost is the cost of the highest priced power, plus 1.5 times the cost of all the other powers.  It does NOT go up by squares like weapon and armor do.

DMG, p282, sidebar, under "Multiple Different Abilities"
For items that do take up a space on a character’s body (such as a ring or a necklace),
each additional power not only has no discount but instead has a 50%
increase in price.

eg,
Ring of sustenance = 2500gp
Ring of Feather falling = 2200gp
Ring of counterspells = 4000gp

One ring of susenance, feather falling, and counterspells = 4000gp + ( 1.5 x 2500gp) + ( 1.5 x 2200gp) = 11050gp

(Note: the above are market prices.  Creation prices are half that)

To improve a ring, you just pay the difference between its final value and its current value.

Edit: also, DMG, p288, last paragraph before the sidebar
If the item is one that occupies a specific place on a character’s
body (see Magic Items on the Body, page 214), the cost of adding
any additional ability to that item increases by 50%. For example, if
a character adds the power to confer invisibility to her ring of protection
+2, the cost of adding this ability is the same as for creating a
ring of invisibility multiplied by 1.5.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:17:07 PM by kitep »

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 04:16:24 PM »
Can you, instead of casting a spell into a ring, use a scroll as the magical source for the ring?

I know the answer is yes, but I can't find the exact rule for that.  You could also have someone else cast it for you.

I could be wrong on this, but I think the spell is triggered/used EACH day during item creation.  So if you're creating something that takes 3 days, you would need 3 scrolls.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 04:18:05 PM »
3. Is it possible to make a ring of Presditigiation with an unlimited charges and command-word activation?

Yep.  Though your DM could rule differently.

Offline RealMarkP

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:46:56 PM »
Can you, instead of casting a spell into a ring, use a scroll as the magical source for the ring?

I know the answer is yes, but I can't find the exact rule for that.  You could also have someone else cast it for you.

I could be wrong on this, but I think the spell is triggered/used EACH day during item creation.  So if you're creating something that takes 3 days, you would need 3 scrolls.
Yes, you're right. I just found the source for this:

A character relying on a scroll to provide the required invisibility spell would need at least 20 scrolls -- one for each day of working on the ring.

So it is possible to make a ring of almost any spell. Which seems a bit over powered. The rules don't state that there is much of a limitation on what can be put into a ring. So you can make a ring of continuous cure minor wounds for an effective spell equal to that of fast healing 1.

( Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp ) / 2 = (1 * CL1 * 2,000 gp) / 2 = 1,000 gp.

Does this not seem a tad over powered? A point of reference would be the ring of rapid healing.

EDIT: Doing some research, I stumbled on to a page where someone claimed that instantaneous spells cannot be made continuous. Because the word 'continuous' is short form for 'the spell's duration is expanded to a 24hr period.' That's why there is a foot note in the page that states:

If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.

Makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 01:02:42 AM by RealMarkP »

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 04:35:46 AM »
For 8000 gold, one could get a ring of continuous lesser vigor, to get fast healing 1. Still a lot cheaper than the epic ring. Continuing the vigor spell line, though, you get fast healing 2 at 120k, and fast healing 4 at 360k.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 01:07:57 PM »
So it is possible to make a ring of almost any spell. Which seems a bit over powered.

Actually, the formulas are only 1 part of pricing an item.  You're also supposed to compare the item to other already-priced items and adjust accordingly.