Author Topic: Gestalt build suggestion solicitation.  (Read 6293 times)

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
Re: Gestalt build suggestion solicitation.
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 11:27:51 PM »
Excellent points.

I'm liking the warblade synergy, but the swordsage has more variety.... tough choice.

Even though I said StP myself, I have become so unfamiliar with spells due to my severe detest for the Vancian system that I am completely unused to thinking of spells much at all. I pretty much only play psionics, really.

Seems like there might be some benefit for taking more than 2 levels of monk, perhaps trying to find some ideal mix of monk and ToB class which will provide sufficient numbers of maneuvers and so forth and still hit the useful points of the monk class.

I'm looking at things which ignore hardness and armor for the most part. a Breaker Monk, if you will. Now I need to go StP those sorcerer spells for effective size boosts.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:29:24 PM by nijineko »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Gestalt build suggestion solicitation.
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 01:04:50 AM »
I'm liking the warblade synergy, but the swordsage has more variety.... tough choice.
Pretty much the same thing I spoke of before. Warblade is more damage & Swordsage is more variety, as you have StP Erudite sitting on one side variety isn't something you have to worry about.

I'd go Warblade, you can always use Magical Items to pick up a key Shadow Hand Maneuver you like, or simply Manifest Heroics(martial study) at the moment decide you need a certain Maneuver, and you'll benefit from the Warblade's quick recovery too.

Seems like there might be some benefit for taking more than 2 levels of monk, perhaps trying to find some ideal mix of monk and ToB class which will provide sufficient numbers of maneuvers and so forth and still hit the useful points of the monk class.
The useful points of the Monk Class pretty much end at level 9 assuming you want perpetual Blink, 7th for Shadow Blend and the Mantis Leap (uber charger) & Lightning Fist (+2 attacks for -5 att penalty) Feat access, or 2nd for a quick dip.

When it comes to ToB Classes, obviously attaching them towards the end of your progression means higher level Maneuvers. But if you want to dip early you can use Retraining to reshuffle the Martial Adept levels back to the top to improve your IL for selections and a cheaper alternative is to simply retrain Martial Study around since Feats are easier than Levels. If you don't want to waste any XP and expect this to be a long game (or are starting higher up) just finish Monk out first.

I'm looking at things which ignore hardness and armor for the most part. a Breaker Monk, if you will.
The best counter to DR is more damage, like Greater Mighty Wallop. With 20 virtual levels of Monk you'll hit for 12d8 (avg 54) damage. And if you're took Improved Natural Weapon(unarmed strike), and an Ectoplasmic Fist, it'll hit for 24d8 (avg 108) damage before Strength and WSAs. Even DR 15 only prevents 13% of your damage :p

Now I need to go StP those sorcerer spells for effective size boosts.
Mighty Wallop & it's Greater version out of Dragon Magic, 1st & 3rd level respectively with long duration, no need to pick up Persist Spell/Power to use them. You can also access the Wu Gen's Giant Size which can give up to +32 Str, +16 Con, +7 Na-AC, and make you Colossal, abit it has a short duration or 1rd/cl. You would probably benefit more from using Minute Size to shrink down through, Antman style jackhammer punches with increased AC and the ability to leap through key holes.