Author Topic: How many caster levels can one lose before needing Practiced Spellcaster?  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Masakan

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
I hate making multiple posts but this just came to mind.
How many caster levels can one afford to lose in a build before practiced spell caster becomes a required feat.
I know that if you lose 4 or more you pretty much have to take it, but is it still vital if you only lose like 1 or 2?

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
Depends on the choices of spells you're taking, as whether at least such things are important:

duration
beating spell resistance
damage scaling
buffs surviving dispels

Offline Masakan

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Depends on the choices of spells you're taking, as whether at least such things are important:

duration
beating spell resistance
damage scaling
buffs surviving dispels

Well it would mostly be battlefield control spells like Grease, Gliterdust, Cloud of Bedevilment and social and investigative spells until level 11 when you get into sublime chord.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
I say all 4. Even then I find myself just using BL rather than using a precious feat slot. It's not like it advances your new spell level progression. Then it would become priority number 1 for hundreds of caster PrCs.

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Depends on the spell selection so much that there's no point in giving a straight answer. What do you plan on doing? If you Polymorph a lot, you might want it. If you need to hit SR checks, you will want it. If you are cast Conjuration battlefield control spells, you might do without. And on it goes...

Edit: Oh, sorry, I missed the spell selection post. Not sure how! Anyways, you'll be fine without the feat.
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys