Author Topic: Happy Happy Joy Joy! God knows edition.  (Read 196674 times)

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy! God knows edition.
« Reply #780 on: August 02, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
I actually had one via that process once before. I was hoping for a version that solved the slipstream USB driver issue common on newer devices. BIOS can see the USB and boot from it, but then when you get to the windows installer it can't see the USB anymore. I've had to create a physical disk containing drivers for the specific laptop I had the problem with, and that's not an option for a general use installer stick.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #781 on: August 02, 2017, 09:24:25 PM »
Hmm... How new are the devices? My PC is (mostly) from 2009, apart from the Graphics Card which is a bit newer - I had a 260 which got later swapped for a 460. It worked flawlessly the first time...

Sorry i can't be of any more help :\
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 02, 2017, 09:34:17 PM »
Hmm... How new are the devices? My PC is (mostly) from 2009, apart from the Graphics Card which is a bit newer - I had a 260 which got later swapped for a 460. It worked flawlessly the first time...

The laptop is a 2015 iirc, I already know what the problem is, the windows 7 installer doesn't include USB 3.0 support and refuses to even look at a 3.0 stick, even if you plug it into a 2.0 port. The BIOS has no such hang-up, letting you use it as a 2.0 device just fine. I gave up and used the CD when I realized this was going to be an issue for every device unless I could get a working 3.0 driver into the windows installer's copied files, and make it actually use them.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #783 on: August 02, 2017, 11:59:43 PM »

The laptop is a 2015 iirc, I already know what the problem is, the windows 7 installer doesn't include USB 3.0 support and refuses to even look at a 3.0 stick, even if you plug it into a 2.0 port. The BIOS has no such hang-up, letting you use it as a 2.0 device just fine. I gave up and used the CD when I realized this was going to be an issue for every device unless I could get a working 3.0 driver into the windows installer's copied files, and make it actually use them.

My 3.0 ports are all dead, even after i searched out and installed the drivers for them. Don't know why, they just are, and they're plugged to the MOBO, i have no clue why is that. They do run power, so i can still use them to charge things, they just aren't recognized at all as USB drives. In BIOS they are recognized fine, i can see all of them.

So i installed from a USB 2.0 port and it did fine. I also happen to have some old sticks. In fact i didn't even know that the kind of stick you used mattered... So idk.

Computers sometimes are WEIRD. I got problems fixed by posts on forums that are over 10 years old, with solutions so obscure no normal user would ever consider trying them. Kinda helped my google-fu develop, but sometimes it's PAINFUL. More than one time i just wanted to punch my monitor in frustration.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 03, 2017, 10:33:13 PM »

My 3.0 ports are all dead, even after i searched out and installed the drivers for them. Don't know why, they just are, and they're plugged to the MOBO, i have no clue why is that. They do run power, so i can still use them to charge things, they just aren't recognized at all as USB drives. In BIOS they are recognized fine, i can see all of them.

So i installed from a USB 2.0 port and it did fine. I also happen to have some old sticks. In fact i didn't even know that the kind of stick you used mattered... So idk.

Computers sometimes are WEIRD. I got problems fixed by posts on forums that are over 10 years old, with solutions so obscure no normal user would ever consider trying them. Kinda helped my google-fu develop, but sometimes it's PAINFUL. More than one time i just wanted to punch my monitor in frustration.

What you are describing is the exact problem I had. Windows not detecting the ports, despite them reading in BIOS fine. I don't have any high capacity USB 2.0 sticks around, so that particular method is off the table for now.

For future reference, yes a USB 3.0 stick reads differently, and will fail to read by a vanilla Win7 install disk's version of the installer. There SHOULD be drivers that update your install to support the 3.0 ports.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:38:18 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #785 on: August 04, 2017, 10:16:22 AM »
W-E-I-R-D!

Asus USB 3.0 drivers did absolutely nothing for me. The ports are so dead they don't even read 2.0 sticks.

EDIT:

OK

WHAT THE HELL

I just REINSTALLED the drivers, and now it works fine.

W-T-H

I just sorta gave up when i installed them the first time and it did nothing, but now i tried it again just for the hell of it and it works flawlessly first time...

Computers are SO dumb sometimes
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:21:24 AM by brujon »

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 28, 2017, 01:19:28 PM »
I found this place!

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 28, 2017, 07:22:35 PM »
Welcome back!
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 28, 2017, 10:43:49 PM »
I missed you lug heads.....

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 28, 2017, 11:28:26 PM »
I missed you lug heads.....

Who are you again?   :P

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 29, 2017, 12:40:48 AM »