Author Topic: Fun Finds v4.0  (Read 328156 times)

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
Re: Fun Finds v4.0
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2013, 07:38:17 AM »
/\
 |
this is what I was referring to, just didn't say from what. This means a Medium Longsword is one-handed for a Medium creature, two-handed for a Small creature, and light for a Large creature. Thus w sizing, it can morph into any non-ranged weapon.
obviously that Underdark item is better

So... what you are saying is...

You'd allow me to buy a medium morphing sizing dagger, turn it into a huge dagger, thus making it go from light to two-handed, then you'd let me turn it into a medium greatsword?

I'm just curious as to why. Working on the finishing touches on the Extrapolated Weapon Special Ability Handbook 1.01, but I'm more then willing to revisit WSA 2.03 if you have a good reason for why the weapon's size changes but the number of hands doesn't when you use morphing.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »
Why? Because my interpretation of how it is written, along with that verbiage about weapon sizing and handed-ness, allows this to happen.

you could possibly do this with other rules, like improvised weapons.

ex: a greatsword used as a improvised bastard sword. This means you have access to two- and one-handed weapons. Turn it into a scimitar which could be used as a large kukri, this then resizes and allows light weapons

I agree some of this is on the brink of ridiculous, but by RAW it works. Not like there's other ridiculous RAW stuff

@at your other question, yes I would. Its far from the most disruptive ability out there. And it gives melee chars something good.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:49:24 PM by zook1shoe »
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2013, 04:16:24 PM »
A scimitar could never be used as a giant kukri.  The blade is on the wrong side. 
Otherwise, I agree. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2013, 05:45:40 PM »
I know.. I couldn't think quickly of any thing else. Battleaxe to handsxe? Short sword to dagger?
- All Spells
- playground

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2013, 06:03:51 PM »
interesting twist: if you have a level of monk, thus the unarmed strike ability allowing an unarmed strike to count as weapon or natural weapon; add in the necklace of natural weapons, and place these abilities on them, then you could literally change your hands, feet, hair, whatever... into a weapon. maybe add the metaline enhancement.

mix in a bit of warshaper for extra natural weapons.

now pick up multi/two weapon fighting and multiattack and go to town with all your extra natural weapons.

which incidentally, also allows a monk to have +5 to unarmed strike, as the unarmed strike counts as a single natural weapon for purposes of the necklace, and much cheaper than the amulet of mighty fists.

however, if you want to mix unarmed strike and a bunch of natural weapons, the amulet winds up being cheaper overall.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2013, 06:41:35 PM »
You know what I just noticed?

Transdimensional Spell + True Creation = Ghost Touch + Weapon/Armor/Whatever.

I probably read that one wrong, though...
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2013, 07:32:28 PM »
Some stuff from Dragon #332

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:10:45 PM by Prime32 »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2013, 07:42:41 PM »
I think you mean Dragon 332.

Edit - Also while description text says Barbarians can gain it, neither the description text nor the Feat's prerequisites state in any way it is Barbarian only.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 07:50:23 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2013, 08:12:23 PM »
EDIT: never mind, missed the first clause in the description.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2013, 08:40:25 PM »
interesting twist: if you have a level of monk, thus the unarmed strike ability allowing an unarmed strike to count as weapon or natural weapon; add in the necklace of natural weapons, and place these abilities on them, then you could literally change your hands, feet, hair, whatever... into a weapon. maybe add the metaline enhancement.

now pick up multi/two weapon fighting and multiattack and go to town with all your extra natural weapons.

which incidentally, also allows a monk to have +5 to unarmed strike, as the unarmed strike counts as a single natural weapon for purposes of the necklace, and much cheaper than the amulet of mighty fists.

however, if you want to mix unarmed strike and a bunch of natural weapons, the amulet winds up being cheaper overall.

Isn't a monks unarmed strike their whole body? That would mean that their entire body would be turned into a weapon.
Please, call me Count :).

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2013, 11:02:52 PM »
The alphorn in Song and Silence lets you use bardic music at a distance of 1d10 miles
- All Spells
- playground

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2013, 11:42:07 PM »

Isn't a monks unarmed strike their whole body? That would mean that their entire body would be turned into a weapon.

pretty much. it will depend on the dm, really. only part attacking counts while it is attacking, or the whole body are the two most likely dm determinations.

in either case the end result is interesting. you can either change your attacking parts into pretty much whatever weapons you want, or you can change the entire monk into a weapon. and that might not fall under the usual shapechanging and poly rules, so you probably get to keep all your necklace enhancements.

the question becomes, if someone else wields the monk, does it still count as an unarmed strike when the monk hits someone or do their abilities override? this sounds like the perfect fastball special combo. throw the monk as a weapon, it falls into an adjacent square, the monk attacks....

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2013, 12:32:50 AM »
Dancing monk?

oh, I forgot to say "alphorn + shrink item" above
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:15:49 AM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Forumowicz

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »
Adding enhancements to whole monk's body starts getting weird really fast.

Throwing Teleporting Fleshgrinding Dancing Monk?
It is even hard to interpret.

A ghost touch monk could be abusable, if we stick to the last sentence...

EDIT Didn't notice that dancing was already mentioned, even tough it is the very post above  :???

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
Yeah fleshgrinding would get crazy, esp if you had a necklace w it for several unarmed strikes.

oh my foot starting grinding you, now my elbow, ahhh! now my hips?
- All Spells
- playground

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2013, 03:55:54 PM »
Yeah fleshgrinding would get crazy...
Doesn't that happen every weekend at every youth rave on the planet?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2013, 04:41:58 PM »
Yeah fleshgrinding would get crazy...
Doesn't that happen every weekend at every youth rave on the planet?
Certainly in Faerun (c.f. festhalls).
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »
Awesome find for Archivists: Mule's Enlightenment.  It's a spell that lasts a really long time and grants you a feat of your choice, plus a bunch of other bonuses.  Now use it to give yourself the Extra Spell feat.  Scribe the spell.  Repeat tomorrow.

JaronK

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2013, 04:51:07 PM »
Source for Mule's Enlightenment, please?

Offline Lo77o

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2013, 05:14:33 PM »
Awesome find for Archivists: Mule's Enlightenment.  It's a spell that lasts a really long time and grants you a feat of your choice, plus a bunch of other bonuses.  Now use it to give yourself the Extra Spell feat.  Scribe the spell.  Repeat tomorrow.

JaronK

Just like Alter Self/Polymorph etc into a human for a bonus feat?