Author Topic: Anime & Manga 5: HISSATSU OUGI!  (Read 46684 times)

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
Re: Anime & Manga 5: HISSATSU OUGI!
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2015, 05:19:35 PM »
Picked up Crunchyroll over the summer, after a several year hiatus from anime due to busy life. CR on my phone lets me enjoy in the random 5 minute chunks I have to enjoy, so quite nice. I rarely hunt down the manga, nor am I worth a shit as a critic. In any case...

From most recent to previously watched this year...

Akame ga Kill - current enjoying
Gate - enjoyed, wouldn't mind seeing more
Parasyte - great, really enjoyed it
Attack on Titan - next season please, dammit
No Game No Life - cerebral like death note, but not so sinister, much enjoyed. The over-saturated colors look neat.
Demon King Daimao - things escalated quickly, amusing enough for 12 eps
Yona of the Dawn - if only 24 eps are produced, gonna be pissed, hate when series end up quitting at the point this one does
Kill la Kill - loved the pace. equal opportunity fan service was lol.
Bleach - finally finished the last 1/4 of the episodes, minus fillers. Really wish I had quit before the god awful fullbringer arc.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2015, 09:04:17 AM »
Meanwhile in One Piece, Luffy is kinda the most self-contradicing protagonist ever.

Luffy: I want to be a pirate king!
Actual Pirates: Haaarrr, alrighty matey, let's kill and pillage!
Luffy: Sorry, I'm not into that kind of thing.
Admirers: Lord Luffy, we wish to pledge our alliance to your cause, becoming your loyal subjects! Command us and we shall obey our king!
Luffy: Nope, I'm also not in that whole "giving orders" or "ruling" thingies.

So he wants to be a pirate who doesn't kill/pillage and a king who doesn't have subjects nor to give orders. :psyduck

Although I guess it's that kind of sillyness that keeps the series interesting. :P

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2015, 02:22:51 PM »
Finished Akame ga Kill, pretty happy with the body count reflecting the reality of war.

Started watching Fairy Tail, then found out CR doesn't have eps 13-48, and in looking as to why... yeah, fucking pissed.
I'll find somewhere else to saltily watch the episode gap, but I won't forget this transgression when I next consider watching something from that producer...

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2015, 02:46:51 PM »
Luffy's the kind of guy who wants the big shiny title yet none of the responsibilities that come with it.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2015, 09:09:21 PM »
Finished Akame ga Kill, pretty happy with the body count reflecting the reality of war.

Started watching Fairy Tail, then found out CR doesn't have eps 13-48, and in looking as to why... yeah, fucking pissed.
I'll find somewhere else to saltily watch the episode gap, but I won't forget this transgression when I next consider watching something from that producer...

I totally abandoned Fairy Tail after it got cancelled partway through that tournament arc. Eventually they started again (after replacing Lucy's VA cause yaaaay scandals) but could not be bothered. Was seriously going downhill. Went with the manga for awhile all the way through to the Tartaros Arc with them demons and that was kind of okay but it fell off pretty quickly again after that. It just got kind of.......Eh...

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2015, 10:07:59 PM »

I totally abandoned Fairy Tail after it got cancelled partway through that tournament arc. Eventually they started again (after replacing Lucy's VA cause yaaaay scandals) but could not be bothered. Was seriously going downhill. Went with the manga for awhile all the way through to the Tartaros Arc with them demons and that was kind of okay but it fell off pretty quickly again after that. It just got kind of.......Eh...

Is this a separate scandal or the old one? I'd heard Hirano got some really bad flak about her sex life a long while ago but I'd heard she'd since returned to singing...
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2015, 10:59:05 PM »
It was probably that same scandel. She got fired from Fairy Tail's Lucy VA cause of it. Which technically caused the anime to be canceled for awhile.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2015, 01:13:44 PM »
Finished watching Coffin Princess Chaika; gun wizards, as opposed to Fairy Tail's muscle wizards. Rather entertained. Silly BBEG wizard failing due to hubris.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2015, 11:53:53 PM »
i've been enjoying the manhwa "The Gamer" lately. a light novel in the process of being illustrated into a webcomic. nice mix of silly and serious, with an amusing conceit for the plot.

(for those who may happen to not be familiar, manhwa is korean manga.)

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2015, 12:21:24 AM »
i've been enjoying the manhwa "The Gamer" lately. a light novel in the process of being illustrated into a webcomic. nice mix of silly and serious, with an amusing conceit for the plot.

I'm enjoying it as well. I keep finding places with more or less of it updated, though; where were you reading it?

Offline Lokiyn

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2015, 01:14:04 PM »
Meanwhile in One Piece, Luffy is kinda the most self-contradicing protagonist ever.

Admirers: Lord Luffy, we wish to pledge our alliance to your cause, becoming your loyal subjects! Command us and we shall obey our king!

So he wants to be a pirate who doesn't kill/pillage and a king who doesn't have subjects nor to give orders. :psyduck

Although I guess it's that kind of sillyness that keeps the series interesting. :P
It's a Man's Romance
It makes sense when you consider that the primary conflict of one piece orients around the divide between the romantic view of pirates, and the cruel reality of pirates. Its Captain Jack Sparrow vs Hector Barbossa; Robin Hood vs the real highwaymen of the time.
Luffy seeks freedom and adventure, while is opponents sacrifice their freedom in the name of greed and power, losing the "romance" of a pirate and becoming a thug with a flag.

That being said does anyone else follow http://www.novelupdates.com/ there's quite a bit of good stuff for inbetween releases for other shows and manga.
Joined WotC Forums Feb 2004, watched it die on Nov 5th ~12:18 Oct 2015
Rest in pieces.

Archives of the WotC forums

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2015, 11:05:33 PM »

I'm enjoying it as well. I keep finding places with more or less of it updated, though; where were you reading it?

i usually alternate between mangareader and naver to see how far along the story actually is. i'll switch to other sites when that first is slow.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2015, 04:20:24 AM »
Anyone watching Gundam Orphans? I'm getting a lot of TTGL vibes from it:

-Main character is a short kid who grew up in shitty conditions and also's kinda fanatic to an "old non-blood brother"? Check.
-Said "old non-blood brother" is super inspiring to all around him and always keeps up a positive attitude? Check.
-Said "old non-blood brother" character goes to start a revolution to get them away from shitty conditions, starting his personal army? Check.
-They pick up a princess preaching for peace who was discarded by her father? Check.
-Loot and pilot enemy mechas gained as spoils of war right away? Check.

Also let's see if anyone can identify the correct name of the following Gundam series based on the hints I give.

(click to show/hide)

(I may've watched a bit too much Gundam recently)

It's a Man's Romance
It makes sense when you consider that the primary conflict of one piece orients around the divide between the romantic view of pirates, and the cruel reality of pirates. Its Captain Jack Sparrow vs Hector Barbossa; Robin Hood vs the real highwaymen of the time.
Luffy seeks freedom and adventure, while is opponents sacrifice their freedom in the name of greed and power, losing the "romance" of a pirate and becoming a thug with a flag.

But Luffy is a lot closer to being a treasure hunter. Jack Sparrow and Robin Hood at least looted some stuff, but Luffy's all "Ok, I beat you up evil dudes, but I'll let you go away with all your stuff." Wait, he took a flag once from another pirate group. As an organized tournament prize.

Meanwhile plenty of good old "Kill, sail, burn" pirates in One Piece that keep their freedom, it's just the pirate lords with connections with the Navy that have chains attached.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2015, 08:31:59 AM »
So, I watched Parasyte lately, and I enjoyed it a great deal. Anybody got any recommendations for good anime like that? For me it was a great mix of drama (without going too far into angst), combat and psychological warfare.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2015, 01:30:29 PM »
Tokyo Ghoul is kinda like that. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni is a good psychological thriller/horror kind of story. Shiki, i enjoyed, but it's a bit more action focused than Parasyte - but it's nice. Kara no Kyoukai is wonderful, as is Tsukihime. I can recommend some more later if you want me to.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2015, 07:10:24 PM »
Out of those, I've heard of Tokyo Ghoul (buying the manga), heard of but not watched Higurashi, and already watched Tsukihime.

And sure, recommendations are always good  :D

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2015, 09:32:55 AM »
Iron Orphans Gundam is now an harem anime.

No, wait, that's not exactly correct.

Iron Orphans Gundam is now THE harem anime.

Because there's this guy who has a battleship where the crew/pilots/soldiers are all his wifes. Not only that, he bangs them so much he had to instal a nursery on said battleship just to have a place to put in his new babies between stopping at planets where he drops the new kids at some private school so he can go back to space with his ship filled only with his wifes. And somehow all the women get perfectly well with each other. That dude's the fucking Harem Emperor.

In other news, Heavy Object is kinda of a deconstruction of the mecha genre. Why have legs and arms and head when you can just have a giant mobile ball of armor with lots of guns? Then the main characters are an army engineer and basic soldier who have to find a way to take down said balls of death that can take a nuke to the face and keep going using only their personal gear.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2016, 11:23:57 PM »
So since I've found myself quite enjoying the modern Gundam series, I decided to finally check on the original.

I must say it's quite good, in particular for such an old anime with budget graphics. I can see why it spawned one of the most popular mecha franchises in the world.

What surprised me the most is that motherfucking Bright didn't start as commander of the White Base right away, instead just as newbie support staff. From what I heard of him I always had the idea he was a veteran captain from the start. But Bright still gets shit done even when he's supposed to be taking orders from incompetent federation officer #241 and never goes emo unlike a certain main character.

Also Char is simply fabulous.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2016, 08:53:22 AM »
I've been meaning to watch the rest of the UC series. Not sure I can take Z Gundam's ending though...

EDIT: Also, Mirai is like THE best female supporting character ever (I count Sayla as one of the protagonists).

Give me internets. Now.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2016, 09:40:03 AM »
I should probably give a go at the original couple gundam series, I enjoyed Wing years ago but never really explored past that

I am a big fan of Gundam: Seed, but that is a completely different continuity.