Author Topic: Action thread: With Star  (Read 6159 times)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
Action thread: With Star
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:57:24 PM »
Action thread: With Star

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Action thread: With Star
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:39:15 AM »
The Elven woman sighs. {Star} I don’t expect you to tell me all of your secrets at once. But the question of When you first saw me and what was happening there, that’s not so hard, is it? It must have just happened on your Timeline, Ptolemaeus… right before you crashed into me, I’ll remind you.

Must I retrace my path to find out? Or will you spare me the inconvenience by just telling me?

And as a measure of good faith, I’ll answer that last question for free. No, it’s not my ship. It belongs to Halfaz, a friend of mine. We were just going to Bral, another free fact though you probably guessed that one for yourself.

Oh!
She hesitates.

{Star} Wait. I just had an idea. We’re not going to Bral. We’re taking a detour, to Sigil.

And if you’re wondering who and where Halfaz is, that’s him standing behind you.

Ptolemaeus may have been captivated by Star’s eyes again, but there are so many reflective surfaces that he doesn’t even have to turn around to see the imposing creature behind him, who must have come up the companionway stairs from the below-deck area in complete silence.

Halfaz is just under 5 ½ feet tall, and bulky, with red skin, dark eyes, armor and weapons. He doesn’t have any weapons drawn at the moment, though his stance is clearly the perpetual readiness of a trained warrior, and he is looking over Ptolemaeus curiously. He seems neither afraid nor concerned; in fact he seems quite happy. However, “What is this creature and what is it doing on my ship?” is clearly written on his face. At this close range, Ptolemaeus can feel heat radiating from Halfaz, and spots on his skin and armor have traces of heat shimmer around them.

Halfaz sees the one that Star just addressed as Ptolemaeus: Not much difference in height, with radiant skin, long, silky silver-white hair, steel gray eyes, long nose, and red lips, in an oddly blank, expressionless face. He is wearing a long trench coat in a blue-gray that reminds Halfaz quite exactly of the strange colors of afterimage he saw trailing from Star a few minutes ago just as he went below, which have now stopped. The coat looks new and perfectly clean, along with the rest of him; he is spotless. Underneath his coat, Ptolemaeus is wearing a white shirt with a black vest on top, black pants and black boots. He has a bulge on his back under the coat, in the shape and size of a pack or haversack.

Star herself is glowing more brightly than Halfaz remembered, and seems somehow even more beautiful and feminine than he has seen her before. And the ship is also glowing; it’s covered with Faerie Fire, refracting and reflecting from every edge, a breathtakingly beautiful, functional piece of jewelry.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline GuyFawkes

• Remember, remember, the fifth of November
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 03:07:04 AM »
Ptolemaeus senses the the anxiety in the tone of the Elf, and smiles. Truly, why bother toying with me, you know the answers already, he thinks to himself. He turns around to face the one called Halfaz.

"Greetings. Pardon for intruding on your ship. A very fine one you have here. Very fine indeed. I just happened to be passing by and crashed into Miss Feather here. Literally. If you don't mind, I would just like to continue conversing with here. Excuse me," he says with a slight bow and turns back to Star.

"Now, where was I? Oh, yes. As for what I was doing before I met you, or why I was there, right. The truth is, I am looking for someone. A man from my past. Someone who most probably dabbles with the workings of Time as well, for it was just not decades ago that I knew this man. Now, where do you come in? Someone told me you might be of help to me in finding him. And seeing you right here right now, I am inclined to think that you might just be able to. You might have heard of him, or even met him before."

"As to when I saw you, it is as what I have said. I need not reiterate myself. But as to why I was there, then it is because I found out you might be there. As to what was happening there, as I said, a maelstrom happened, then I saw you. You were with a human with a black cat then. Which now begs me to ask, since you are so adamant about knowing what I saw back there, almost sounding like being cautious. Did you cause it?"

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 08:12:31 AM »
At this point, Halfaz feels a little unconfortable with this newcomer. And the tension between him and Star doesn't help either. Usually an univited guest on his ship would be "invited" to leave by his boot or by his blades. But the trip there has been both amazing and unusual. Halfaz has seen so many things new to him that maybe Ptolemaeus is just another one.
He bows his head in response to Ptolemaeus' gesture and asks Star calmly, Is he bothering you, Miss Feather?
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 08:13:21 AM »
(click to show/hide)
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »
Star shakes her head, though she doesn’t look happy. {Star} Not really, thanks, Halfaz… thanks for your concern for me. It’s just a difficult situation. I’ve been at odds with a group of Mages and others that he has association with, or rather, they have been at odds with me.

It hasn’t degenerated into open hostilities, and we are fundamentally on the same side, we all act for preservation. We just don’t agree on methods. Or fundamentals, for that matter.

Ptolemaeus, here, says he disagrees with them in some of the same ways I do, but he still keeps his association with them. I can tell by his equipment, for one thing. And, Ptolemaeus, by your information, for another; there are very few in the Multiverse who could help you track my movements in Temporal Prime besides the Guardians
Star shifts her attention to Ptolemaeus.

{Star} Cat and human… and a Maelstrom. Lorelei and Marianna. Yes. I was saving them from the disaster, pulling them around it. The Maelstrom itself… yes. She is a little embarrassed and defensive. I did cause it indirectly, but the proximate cause was what some other creatures did. I… I didn’t intend the results they triggered. But I have to accept responsibility for guilt by association, and for contributing to the situation. Winston and I are handling, have handled, the repairs. That atmosphere replacement company was very expensive, and their megalomaniac leader was a nuisance to deal with… Winston put that name to him and it’s a lovely one… but it’s all done, and no one the worse for wear except the ones who deserved what they got... the innocents are fine. So, yes, there is a Maelstrom formed in the Timestream then, but it’s self-contained and isn’t spreading anywhen else. I’m not going to describe the details; that level of destructive knowledge should not be in wide circulation. I know the Guardians like to have complete archives, but I’m not putting that in a library.

Star continues thoughtfully. {Star} I should be able to visualize your path now. You came to the Maelstrom in Temporal Prime. You saw me and Lorelei and Marianna. You picked up a huge ball of Strands, which you must have done there, and then rode it here. So you must have ridden the shock wave from the Maelstrom to have so much Time Momentum to be out of control arriving here. So why not follow me with Lorelei and Marianna… Ah. Too much Time Momentum, you were out of control. And I was preoccupied in finding myself with Halfaz to join him now, so I was inattentive. I’ll have to be more careful, I told you I bear some responsibility for our crash.

You haven’t told me how you knew to come to that Maelstrom to find me, but I suppose the Guardians aren’t the only source. Just the most likely source. Tell me that they told you, or how you knew, or not. I won’t hold it against you either way; we don’t need to reveal all of our sources to be friends.

Friends are more concerned about who they tell things to, and less about who they hear them from.

As to helping you find a particular Chronomancer… I might be able to do that, though you already know how hard that is since you’ve been looking yourself. But unless he can fix your partially doubled Aura... that’s what your problem is, so consider that piece of free information a gesture toward friendship… then finding him may be a priority to your heart, which I understand, but it may please you to consider other priorities too.

Star taps her forefinger on her lips, lost in thought for a moment. {Star}Ptolemaeus, you were driven to find me to help you find him. I say ‘driven’ because you risked entering Temporal Prime, at a Maelstrom no less, and threw yourself into a shockwave to get to me, if my analysis of your movements was correct, and the reason for these actions by your own account was just to ask me this.

If he is in the incident that partially doubled your aura… since he is a Chronomancer, that is not a far-fetched guess… then part of the reason for feeling driven, that he remains Looping in your re-experiencing of him vividly, over and over… it is all one thing. Do you see that? I am suggesting that your feeling that you dwell on him is not only because he means a lot to you emotionally, but also because he is part of your doubled Loop.

I must warn you, then, that if my guess is true, and if I did help you with your doubled Aura, you might lose some of the intensity that is of significance to you. It would be a repair for your Aura, arguably healthier, but… are you sure you want the headachy flashbacks, the vivid re-experiencing of past events if they are with him, over and over, those things that give him such immediacy for you… do you want those to end? Or if he is not in the flashbacks, then whatever they may be, may lose intensity for you. If they are unpleasant, you might be happier, and live life more… normally, but happiness is not the only measure of a life.

I am just guessing about you, putting together pieces that make the puzzle whole in my view. Only you know the truth of it. But I would not want to help make you well, and cost you a part of your identity as you now see it. Not unless you are sure you want it.

I have changed my own being a few times myself, but I have always thought very carefully about it. And I have declined some very beneficial changes, after due consideration. So I will not be offended if you turn down my help, Ptolemaeus, and choose to live with yourself the way you are.

Halfaz. I’ve been ignoring you while I ponder the problems Ptolemaeus presents. We have our own, though. I have had an idea that I just realized, and to begin our mission best, I intend to proceed to Sigil, not Bral. I am concerned that going to Bral at this moment might just give aid to our enemies. Does it please you to accompany me to Sigil?

And now that you are “Captain” Halfaz with your own glorious ship, in Sigil I can buy you a really, really big hat, if it pleases you.
She grins merrily at him.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:58:16 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 02:27:11 AM »
Ptolemaeus smiles again. Clearly the stand the Guardians put up against this woman does him no good. He had prepared to meet one such as their description, but seeing her now, he does not seem so bad, even after hearing she was the cause of that Maelstrom. Chaotic maybe, definitely. But he could not sense evil. For now. As he listens to Star talk, he flips his coat in reverse, storing his Suit and returning to his normal coat, in mock guilt when Star mentions his equipment being of the Guardians.

"Very good, I see you get most of it. As for who told me to go there, pardon me for being secretive, but let me tell you that it is from a very good friend, who may or may not be involved with the Guardians. I have ways of obtaining information asides from Them. Like you said, I do not wish to lose his trust by telling you or anyone for that matter details about it."

"Now I do understand your worries with my involvement with the Guardians, but please do not mind it much. I do not answer to them. It is more of a give and take, though I see it as me taking more. Most of my problems do, after all, involve Time. And there are not much who are knowledgeable of it than them. Though now in meeting with you here, I do feel you do know more of it, and I take it, your associate, Mister Winston as well."

"Unless I see something I personally do not see favorable with your actions, you will not hear anything out of me. And being out of favor with me only entails being outright evil. I do believe you are not so, right? As for that Maelstrom, I believe your words. As such, like I have said about failing to be favorable for me personally, do not worry with me using it as valuable resource in my future trading with the Guardians. I accept your reasons."

His mind now focuses on the offer to take care of his other problem. He sort of agrees with her on being "driven" into this pursuit, which now seems almost an obsession. He thinks about how Ishtari pointed it out as well. Maybe it really is involved with his condition. "I...I suppose I could take your offer of help in my case. The only lingering feeling here is that of hate, nothing worth holding on to. However, I shall ask another favor of you. If ever what you will do will make me forget about him, that you remind me not to forget about this man. I am after answers now, nothing more. As whatever you will do will help stabilize my body, so will knowing of things past, the resolution of it shall calm my soul."

"Of course I do not expect you to help me for free, so in exchange, allow me to offer you my services. You can send me on errands or whatever you see fit for as long as you see fit in exchange of your aid. I could do almost anything you would ask me, and if I could not do it myself, I am certain to find some other way to do it. I am pretty knowledgeable in most matters as well. Even though someone as you already know much more than myself, I believe there are still things I know that you may not. I could even answer some questions on the Guardians you have, though on a case by case basis."

After having said what he needed to say to Star, he turns now to Halfaz. "Pardon for taking too much of Miss Feather's time. And I would like to apologize again for dropping in unannounced. Literally," he grins. "Since I have not properly introduced myself, allow me to. As you may have heard, I am called Ptolemaeus, and I just had an urgent personal business with Miss Star here. Halfaz correct? Or should I say Captain Halfaz? Pleased to meet you," he says while extending his right hand to the Harssaf. "If it is not too much, if Miss Feather here accepts my proposal, then I shall be tagging along with her in this lovely ship for a while."

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 03:46:11 AM »
Star hesitates, then grins at Ptolemaeus.

{Star} That’s a much more handsome coat! And that’s a much better beginning. Some of the Guardians can be so… arrogant. Not all of them, I wouldn’t judge any individual by their group, but I’ve quite had my fill of the ones who are.

I apologize for my suspicions, and for being rather difficult for the last few minutes.
Then she laughs,

{Star} I think our very beginning was perfect. How better to meet someone! We couldn’t have begun better if we had planned it carefully. It has been a genuine pleasure to be crashed into you, Ptolemaeus. I’ve never seen a creature your size so covered by Strands. That’s an image I will cherish. She looks at him more closely, and lapses into silence for a moment, clearly thinking hard, almost staring through him. Ah. Now I have placed you. Thinking of your image that carefully did it. I don’t forget what I see, not any more at least, I used to lose track, but I fixed that problem a while ago… and I will have seen you in the window of one of the private rooms at Milliways when Winston, Nolan, and I will have been there for maintenance on the generators. Milliways! You certainly do get around. And in a private room, no less… but don’t they close when we do generator maintenance? When we start playing with the generators, we could lose the whole restaurant into the End of Time, you realize… not that we would, but it’s possible in theory. So if you recall that scene, you already will have seen Winston. And Nolan. Winston will have been the Elf; Nolan will have been the human.

I will continue to observe your condition, and will set up an occasion with Winston in his lab. If you would like us to try to improve your partially doubled Aura, I will do so, and I believe that Winston will be pleased to try as well. And to answer your question about losing memory, no. There would not be a memory loss from fixing the problem, if it is done carefully. But the intensity of the re-experiencing will be gone. Then, if you have not taken steps to preserve memory, without that frequent re-experiencing to keep it fresh, it might fade as it becomes less current for you, just like the other things you may have forgotten by now.

And I will find it interesting to help your search for the Chronomancer. I’ll need details about him when the occasion is right. I have some talent in Scrying, and I have friends that are much, much better at it than I, and through Winston, I also have others who would probably like to undertake it as a professional project.

And you offer service for this help! I give it all to you freely; I rarely place conditions on my gifts, so that they may be accepted freely. And in any case I must graciously decline an offer of service. It’s not that I do not fully appreciate the offer, or that I doubt your value. But I really cannot order, or even ask, a creature to do something for me; I would not do such a thing, to ask someone to surrender their free choice in that way. If it pleases you to come along with me, and with Halfaz if he chooses to come along too, then feel free to do so. And if it pleases you to undertake to do some of the things that I, and he, choose to do, then, again, feel free to do so. But I would no more ask you to do these things, or command it, than I would take a slave… I fail to see the difference, in truth, except in degree. Imposing my will in a small degree is no more acceptable to me than imposing it in domination.

This brings me back to one of my first conversations with Halfaz about slavery in the City of Brass, and his interest in ending it, and that led us here to fight other slavers.
Star recaps that conversation for Ptolemaeus.
(click to show/hide)

Star continues, {Star} So, from that story, now you understand why I cannot in good conscience accept service from anyone.

You may also understand Halfaz quite a bit better from that story. He has suffered, and risen above it, to become a hero and a symbol of hope to his own people, much the same as he thought it of me. Perhaps he will find a statue of himself in the City of Brass some day.
Star smiles warmly at Halfaz.

Halfaz has said it would please him to accompany me against the Illithids. I see by your Aura now, and from your reactions during the story about the City of Brass, that this may be quite compatible for you; it may please you to do so too; and for my part, I would welcome you to come with us. You’ll be joining a hero on this quest, she says, looking at Halfaz, and then back at Ptolemaeus.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 05:50:50 AM »
While Ptolemaeus and Halfaz talk, Star begins to examine the ship more closely, to find out exactly what were the effects of its trip through Magma and Mineral so close to the Positive Energy Plane. This has been her first opportunity to do so, since she and Halfaz left the Plane of Radiance as soon as she had patched it up and shrunk it down.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:00:46 AM by MetroMagic »

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 08:13:37 AM »
During most part of the conversation between Star and Ptolemaeus Halfaz kept a little distance from them. To his knowledge, most of it did not belong to him anyway. He went around the ship, checking the sail, ropes and knots, but never going too far away from them still being able to hear it. Not that he would understand its meaning. That was something he learned from talking to Star, a lot of the things she talked were too far from his simple knowledge and he'd better just nod instead of trying to understand everything.

Halfaz. I’ve been ignoring you while I ponder the problems Ptolemaeus presents. We have our own, though. I have had an idea that I just realized, and to begin our mission best, I intend to proceed to Sigil, not Bral. I am concerned that going to Bral at this moment might just give aid to our enemies. Does it please you to accompany me to Sigil?

And now that you are “Captain” Halfaz with your own glorious ship, in Sigil I can buy you a really, really big hat, if it pleases you. She grins merrily at him.

"It's not a problem, Miss Feather. I needed to double check everything around here to make sure this trip is safe for us. And if you think we'd better sail to Sigil, then just give me a bearing and we'll be on our way," the harssaf replies with an odd smile. Forcing those under-used face muscles was still hard for him.

After having said what he needed to say to Star, he turns now to Halfaz. "Pardon for taking too much of Miss Feather's time. And I would like to apologize again for dropping in unannounced. Literally," he grins. "Since I have not properly introduced myself, allow me to. As you may have heard, I am called Ptolemaeus, and I just had an urgent personal business with Miss Star here. Halfaz correct? Or should I say Captain Halfaz? Pleased to meet you," he says while extending his right hand to the Harssaf. "If it is not too much, if Miss Feather here accepts my proposal, then I shall be tagging along with her in this lovely ship for a while."

Halfaz stands up and respond to Ptolemaeus's compliment. Then he says, "Take your time, mister. We still have a long way to go. And just Halfaz will do. I don't have a crew so there is no need for the title yet. It's good to meet you too. My boat is small but with Miss Feather's approval you're welcome to come with us."

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 12:21:17 PM »
"Why, thank you," he replies at the compliment on his coat with a bow and a smile on his face. "And think nothing of it. It is understandable. I myself was wary on how to approach you, what with the details I had about you. I guess I could call it Fate, meeting you like this. Yes, oddly as it sounds, while I could see Time in a different light and could choose which flow to ride in, there are still a multitude of factors I could only hope to predict. So yes, I still believe in it."

When Star mentions recalling seeing him at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, he smiles. "For a lovely lady to remember me is flattering. Well, i do have some sort of special privileges there, being a regular customer. I do remember you had company of an elf and a human back then. So that is Winston. And to think we have met before. Certainly I should have sensed then that our Threads are intertwined."

"I do not know how to express my gratitude for your aid on both of my requests. Thank you. And since you would not accept my offer of service, allow me to accompany you for a while so that I may show my gratitude with whatever chance comes up."

After Star tells the story of Halfaz and the plan to take on a slaver operations run by Illithids, Ptolemaeus sees an opportunity. "Perfect! It is settled then! I shall take part of this sortie against these slavers, of my own free will of course. As a token of my gratitude."

He then turns to Halfaz. "And it seems Hero would be a more appropriate title for you, my friend. To be in the presence of a Hero, it is an honor," he bows at the harrsaf in respect. "This humble traveler shall be honored to fight alongside the Hero of Brass."

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 01:17:37 PM »
"You are mistaken, mister. I'm no hero. There are thousands of people still suffering under the Efreeti's oppression. I can tell you myself that serving them can be a very painful and humiliating experience. They hope I can release them, but I still don't have the power to do so without turning myself into the type of people I hate the most. For them, every waking hour is a torture and it tortures me to know I'm not even close to setting them free. This very boat you're standing on was bought through their blood and sweat and tears." The harssaf makes a brief pause and then he continues, "No, mister. I'm no hero. But finding Miss Feather proved it can be done. What else than fate would lead me to her at the exact moment she was wandering on the Plane of Raciance? If my trip there took a day longer, I could be another corpse turning into dust on those shining plains. So now I follow her wherever she goes because I trust she will give me the strength to save all those people."

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »
"Ah, but to be a symbol of hope for all those you have left behind, the mere act of touching the lives of those countless peoples of Brass, that they would risk punishment and what little they have for themselves to offer to you for this magnificent vessel is testament enough. And those words full of determination, the things you have gone through, putting your own life at risk, are these not the traits of a hero? It is just that your fight is not yet done. You have not yet succeeded in your quest, yes that is true. But you exactly have not failed yet either."

"I'll have you know, I have been there a few times, Brass. I have felt how the harssaf and its other denizens cowered under the oppression of the Efreeti. And to be able to rally all of those fearful hearts, you have become a shining beacon for them. An ideal, that which could never be taken away or vanquished. In my opinion, that is very much worth of being called a Hero, perhaps even more."

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 02:02:14 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 04:09:15 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 05:33:58 AM »
Star consider’s Halfaz’s question about what their bearing should be, lost in thought for a little while as Halfaz and Ptolemaeus talk. She takes out maps, Chronometers, compares notes, sketches a bit, humming a sailing ditty to herself. Floating off the deck, she is doing a tiny jig while she thinks.

{Star} Halfaz, the question of a bearing is a very interesting navigational exercise.

We could sail to Bral, which would not take long because the distance is so short, then go into the Trading Company compound, take the Portal to the main warehouse, and then the Portal from there to the warehouse in Sigil. But that’s just what I don’t want to do, to call attention to ourselves by going that way, since it is sure to be watched by the Illithids.

So I could take the ship into the Phlogiston and we could sail the Flows Between Worlds to the world of the main warehouse and then proceed as before. But the Phlogiston is explosively flammable, and… you will set it ablaze. Also, there is no Spelljammer Helm to power the ship, so I would have to do the sailing with my circlet, the one I just put on in case we needed it… not you. Another complication is that I am foresworn from Fire Magic in the Phlogiston for myself and my crew, even though it’s my favorite. An ancient sacrifice, very worthwhile, it’s part of the story of having my daughter. And you yourself are Fire Magic, so I can’t captain this ship there with you as crew.

The Rock of Bral moves on its own between worlds sometimes, so we might have been in the same Wildspace… that’s like the Plane of Vacuum… as the main warehouse, but we’re not. I just checked that. And its remoteness is one reason the main warehouse is where it is. Also, without a Spelljammer Helm, it could take a very long time, since they travel 400 million miles a day, more or less. Though your ship traversed an infinite Plane from midpoint to end in just under a week, so who is to say which is faster?

We could retreat back through the Color Pool to the Astral Plane, wait for the Voidjammer, which has just left and won’t be back for another thousand stops. Then we could travel the Lines till we get to a Color Pool for Sigil, or some other convenient Color Pool that places us near Sigil. Not the fastest method. And it does not take us through the main warehouse to get your Helm system installed.

But I have hit on a method that satisfies our need for quick transit, and also gives you an opportunity to have a Spelljammer Helm installed on your ship. I gave some thought to how to power it, when I was considering the option of flying it into the Phlogiston, and I think the perfect Helm would be a variation on a Dwarven Forge and an Artifurnace. The Forge is run by heat; you have plenty of that, and the creative power drives it. An Artifurnace, also popular with Dwarves and often coupled with a Forge, has to be stoked with Magical materials to consume, and you have plenty of them on board now, which are indestructible, so they could serve as fuel indefinitely, as long as they were re-powered with the Magic it needs to burn. The Ioun Crystals regenerate their own energy. So I think if the Helm has a Forge for you to sit in to supply the creative Heat, and certain parts of the ship lie within the Artifurnace that includes many of the Ioun Crystals that I discovered are operational, then the ship could be flown as a Spelljammer!! Helmsmages do exactly that task, focusing the Magical energies to move the ship, so your own Fire is just the thing for you to serve as your own Helmsmage, with the right Helm system.

I think I am within my promise if I ride with you as captain and Helmsmage because then I am crew, not you. And also, I may be able to adapt the Helms to run on Light instead of Fire, once you are connected to Positive Energy, and then I could help you power the ship. And then it could enter the Phlogiston without setting it ablaze. Maybe.

What an interesting experiment!!!

I know this doesn’t make much sense to either of you, but… It means that it is in the interest of Halfaz’s ship to pass through the main warehouse and leave it there for them to install these Helms in the way I described. MetroMagic does contract work to build Spelljamming vessels, and we do that construction in the main warehouse, so… it’s a perfect plan at least for that part of it.

Then it occurred to me that I can take us to the main warehouse instantly, if I can talk with someone who can handle a Communications Ball with some expertise. There are Communications Balls in the warehouse already, of course, but… we need Goldenseal, who oversees warehouse operations, to know to go there and receive us. So I can talk to June about that.

So it comes down to the Portal schedule between the main warehouse and the Sigil warehouse, which is not under our control. It does what it does. According to my chronometers, I calculated the Timeline here against the Timeline there, and found that they have a two minutes and a fraction connection in just under ten minutes from now, when Goldenseal could pass through and we could join him. That is followed five and a fraction minutes later by almost twenty-eight minutes of connection, a long and busy connection that I am sure is completely scheduled, but we can ride the cargo to get us through.

I see that none of this is making any sense, talk of warehouses and connections and Portal schedules and Spelljammer Helms, but I think I have it all worked out... if it pleases you both to do so.

I… I’ll sum up. I just don’t like to put you in the position of being so agreeable without knowing what you are volunteering to do. So, I propose that we pass through this Crystal Communications Ball in my hand, to a like one in the main warehouse, leave your ship there in full size for them to install a Forge Helm coupled to an Artifurnace according to specifications that I will provide to them based on which Ioun Crystals you decide to use to drive the Artifurnace instead of using their effects on yourself and the ship, and then we will go through a fluctuating Portal when it will take us where we want to go, which is the warehouse in Sigil, in the same building as the conference room where we will join a meeting to plan the expedition against the slavers. I … Oh. I have been in professorial lecture mode, haven’t I. Ah, sorry.

One more try. Would it please the two of you to take a shortcut through my Crystal Ball almost directly to the planning room, and drop off Halfaz’s ship on the way, to have some very powerful sailing Magic installed that allows it to go very fast to a lot of other places? We can reclaim the ship easily afterward.

Ah, much better!! But it’s still a wonderfully interesting experiment!

So, would it please you? Or… do you have any questions….?

Listening to herself at the end, Star giggles at her own tangle of words, and then finishes, finally more or less satisfied with the results of her daunting task to reduce a very complex decision to a few words that Halfaz and Ptolemaeus may like. She looks back and forth between them with some concern. Did her usual tangle make any kind of sense to anyone else?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 01:06:31 PM »
At first Halfaz is absolutely lost in the middle of all those difficult words that came out of Star's mouth. But her third explanation made it more clear to him. "You're giving me another gift, Miss Feather? Why? I still haven't done anything for you to earn this. I'll be forever on your debt. Thank you very much. But I just don't understand what this new Helm is. Can you tell me more about it? As I understand it, those cristals will power a furnace for this ship to sail around. And I'm going to be able to increase the furnace's power using my own heat, right?" Halfaz stops for a moment, thinking. "I like fast ships. To me the best ships are fast and safe. So, instead of 12, I want do use 15 of the crystals and my own heat as its power source. As a sign of gratitude, I wanna name this boat after you, Miss Feather. If you allow me I shall have it carved on this ship as soon as it comes back from the warehouse. About the course to Sigil, if you think it's the best one, I really don't mind."

(click to show/hide)

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 04:28:14 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 06:11:28 PM »
(click to show/hide)

"Hmm. Interesting choice of travel. Whatever is necessary would be fine. As for your experiment on using an Artifurnace as a Helm and using Ioun Crystals to power it, I have only passing knowledge of the matter, but it does pique my curiosity. Perhaps when you are not preoccupied on anything too important, you could share some of your knowledge on the field, Miss Feather? Among other things that I would like to learn from you of course," he says with a smile. He has never met someone with so much knowledge on so many different fields as her, and she definitely has caught his interest, maybe even his respect. Something of a rarity; only one other creature alive does he ever consider of that regard.