Author Topic: Help wanted to think on house rule - Magic Corrupts  (Read 1564 times)

Offline xzyx

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Help wanted to think on house rule - Magic Corrupts
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:28:02 PM »
So I'm going to DM this campaign to some friends next week, on which we'll make a try with the pathfinder system. It's an old campaign I had made long ago and that I like a lot. The reason I'm post here then? I wanted to make a house rule, but I'm not sure on how.

In this setting I made, arcane magic corrupts people. When spellcasters use arcane magic, they force their will to change the enviroment, and that creates entropy, and such entropy is then forced into the spellcaster as a backlash of his magic - making him crazy over time and essentially transforming most magicians in power-hungry bastards over the years. The first time I DM'd it the group had no arcane spellcasters so I did not have to worry about the effects of corruption over the players and it was mostly present on the setting. But now, I have at least two full caster arcanists in the group (a summoner and a sorcerer) and I would like to have some kind of system that reflects this element on the setting, but I wanted it to be well done and as simple as possible. After thinking a lot, I couldn't come up with a good way to implement this, so I come to you, minmaxers. Do you know of any way to represent magic corruption on the game?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted to think on house rule - Magic Corrupts
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 12:26:40 AM »
Here's an idea off the top of my head. It's not fully thought through or anything.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:48:55 AM by Garryl »

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted to think on house rule - Magic Corrupts
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 07:21:43 AM »
^^
Looks workable, but I'd personally eliminate the potential to remove the corruption via spells, since it allows for the mechanic to be bypassed at a small wealth tax. I'd also throw in a bribe factor, encourage them to flirt with the limits.

An alternative idea:
You accrue corruption through the casting of spells, the amount of corruption is equal to twice the spell level. Corruption naturally fades at a rate of half your caster level each day(total, meaning if you have corruption in all three tracks you'd have to split it up), and by your full caster level if you do nothing but purify yourself that day(naturally without casting any spells). When an increase in corruption crosses a threshold, you gain a symptom of the corruption. The symptom persists even if corruption decreases below the threshold, but cannot be removed unless your corruption is below the threshold that caused it and you have not increased that form of corruption that day. You can have a maximum of one symptom per category, plus one for each higher severity you have in that category(E.g. If you have a Critical Symptom, you can have 2 Serious symptoms, 3 Moderate symptoms and 4 Light symptoms).

Corruption Thresholds(threshold benefits apply only as long as you stay at least at that level of corruption):
Light(Corruption > CL) - Minor, cosmetic signs that can be concealed with care. Quirky, but not really a problem unless you're trying to pass for normal. Your effective caster level for this type of magic increases by 1, but it doesn't improve your corruption capacity.
Moderate(Corruption > CL x2) - Noticable signs which make it clear you're heading towards crazytown, which may also cause some loss of control. You gain another caster level for spells associated with the corruption., which likewise does not improve corruption capacity.
Serious(Corruption > CL x3) - Symptoms at this point come with minor perks, such as sensory augmentation, natural weapons, or even the ability to inflict a lesser form of your own problems onto others. You gain a bonus spell slot at your highest spell level, which can only be used to cast or prepare spells of this type.
Critical(Corruption > CL x4) - Major changes start to kick in, and you might not be considered human(oid) in some areas anymore, though you do gain significant perks from the mutation, you also start losing control of yourself. The bonus spell slot from the Serious threshold expands, you get one at every spell level you have access to.
Final(Corruption > CL x5) - Transformation. Mental corruption overwrites you with a parasite personality entirely, Physical corruption turns you into an undead, aberration or some other monstrous creature. Environmental corruption turns you into a living spawnpoint for another dimension, and replace you with an outsider of the appropriate type to boot. As far as the game is concerned you're dead.

Three types of corruption are available:
-Mental Corruption - The use of Divination, Enchantment and Universal spells fosters Mental Corruption. The hallmarks of this corruption are mental tics, phobias, hallucination and ultimately, insanity. Mental Corruption is offset by your Wisdom modifier, each time you gain corruption, you reduce it by your Wis mod, or increase it, if your wisdom modifier is negative.
-Physical Corruption - The use of Abjuration, Necromancy and Transmuation fosters Physical Corruption. The hallmarks of this corruption are disfiguration, mutation and ultimately transformation. Physical Corruption is offset by your Constitution modifier, each time you gain corruption, you reduce it by your Con mod, or increase it, if your constitution modifier is negative.
-Environmental Corruption - The use of Conjuration, Evocation and Illusion fosters Environmental Corruption. The hallmarks of this corruption is the twisting of the environment around the caster, ultimately resulting in a reality breach. Environmental Corruption is modified by the location, with a minimum of -5. Particularly pure locations reduce the corruption by -5, however, each spell that causes Environmental Corruption cast in an area increases the modifier by their spell level after the corruption check, and this fades at the rate of 1 a day.

If there's any interest in this I could try cooking up some sample symptoms for the corruption types.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:24:37 AM by veekie »
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.