Author Topic: Path of War: Pathfinder ToB:Bo9S being produced by Dreamscarred Press  (Read 9633 times)

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/ForumsPro/viewtopic/p=35160.html#35160

My friend just pointed this out to me, and I didnt spot a thread on it yet.

Dreamscarred Press are the guys that ported Psionics into Pathfinder, which was pretty decent if you ask me.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
Re: Path of War: Pathfinder ToB:Bo9S being produced by Dreamscarred Press
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:17:51 PM »
W00t!

I'm really psyched!

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 11:38:13 PM »
Whee! I liked the treatment DSP gave to psionics in PF, so I have good hopes for this, too.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 02:21:28 PM »
As I said in another thread, "Holy Shit it's being done by ErrantX!  I have high hopes for it."

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 01:47:06 PM »
Surprisingly, the Paizo boards are excited for it too.

One guy made the typical anti-ToB detraction, but then another pointed out that Pathfinder already has pseudo-Vancian martial abilities, like rounds per day Barbarian Rage.

Quote from: One of the most favorited posts in the thread
For some people, at-will non-mundane martial abilities = wuxia anime = MMOs = 4E = Hitler = dead kittens.

Did I wander into Bizarro Paizo World?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:51:58 PM by Libertad »

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 02:47:45 PM »
I don't think I'll ever understand where the line between "mundane" and "non-mundane" is.  I also don't think I'll ever understand how some people unite mechanics and fluff. 

Offline dither

• Magnificent Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Rumors of War Comic
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 01:29:25 PM »
I'm not sure how/why to be excited, but not for the reason that might be apparent. True, I don't play Pathfinder but...

- Is what they're doing legal/ethical? Will they be reprinting material from TOB or creating all-new material? Is this the kind of thing they need the blessing of WotC to do?

- Has Pathfinder really changed from 3.5 that revising the material from TOB is necessary?

- Is it more exciting that TOB is receiving attention, or is there some excitement based on new Martial Maneuvers? (Similar to support for Psionics or Incarnum or just new spells in general?)

- Isn't TOB awesome enough on its own? What is it lacking? (It's been long enough since I used it, I don't remember actually *wanting* anything new for the system.)

Seriously not trolling, just curious.

--Dither
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

Home of my game design blog and webcomic:
RumorsOfWarComic.com

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »
- Is what they're doing legal/ethical? Will they be reprinting material from TOB or creating all-new material? Is this the kind of thing they need the blessing of WotC to do?
New material, with all new disciplines and classes. Which happen to work similarly, but there's insufficient grounds for a lawsuit.
- Has Pathfinder really changed from 3.5 that revising the material from TOB is necessary?
A little. Special conditions have changed, as have the special attack system, skills don't work the same. While you CAN port it over, it does violate some of the design concepts for a PF product.

- Is it more exciting that TOB is receiving attention, or is there some excitement based on new Martial Maneuvers? (Similar to support for Psionics or Incarnum or just new spells in general?)
Based on what they've done for Psionics in Pathfinder, both. There will be new content, while keeping the style of the old content.

- Isn't TOB awesome enough on its own? What is it lacking? (It's been long enough since I used it, I don't remember actually *wanting* anything new for the system.)
The dozens of homebrew disciplines out on the internet answers this by their very existence.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Bard

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Medium sized Lemure
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 02:19:02 PM »
The dozens of homebrew disciplines out on the internet answers this by their very existence.

I don't think that the existence of homebrew for it makes it "lacking".
I think there's difference between something that is "lacking" and something that "can be expanded".

Anyhow from the preview that was linked before it is anyway a book with a different initiator class and different disciplines that can easily go side-by-side with the existing ToB, both in PF and possibly in 3.5
"Playing the first 6 levels in D&D is like watching the story intro at the beginning of an action/disaster movie: it's boring and the shorter it is, the better."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 02:33:08 PM »
Also, a lot of us that play Pathfinder play pure Pathfinder games, not 3.5/Pathfinder combinations.  This gives us the ability to play with ToB rules, and since Pathfinder is designed to replace 3.5 as opposed to augment it the existence of this project makes a lot of sense.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 04:20:23 PM »
- Is what they're doing legal/

Yes

ethical?

Yes.  Unless all of the other people who've done OGL, Homebrew or PF ... have suddenly acquired a new unknown bad-guy legal strategy.

Will they be reprinting material from TOB

Wotc can or will do that themselves.  Lots of money in that.  And all the others they've reprinted recently.  The exception would be for legit Errata, which has been called for since a day or two after the initial ToB publication.  Most of the errata guys got pulled around then for 4e duty.

or creating all-new material?

Yep.  This is Dreamscarred's m.o.

Is this the kind of thing they need the blessing of WotC to do?

OGL is all the blessing they or anyone else needs; and given by wotc a long time ago (a galaxy for away).

mini-tangent:  The maths guy for ToB was also the early maths guy for 4e.
 :)
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline dither

• Magnificent Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Rumors of War Comic
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 05:39:47 PM »
Huh. Maybe if I had been able to use ToB more in my games it would make more sense to me.

It seems that there was only ever one person per group who was ever interested in anything outside the Player's Handbook. It was like, there was a Conan and a Robin Hood and a Gandalf ... and then one guy who wanted to be a Soulknife. :P

To this day I've never had even one player show an interest in Psionics (except the Soulknife, which totally doesn't count), Incarnum, Tome of Magic, or Tome of Battle. *sigh*

(Myself, I have played each a Psion, Incarnate, Binder, and Crusader. All of them were lots of fun.)

--Dither
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

Home of my game design blog and webcomic:
RumorsOfWarComic.com

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 12:37:21 AM »
Not the full book, but Path of War material is now for sale on Drive-Thru RPG:

The Path of War

Path of War Subscription

Offline PsyBomb

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 02:25:52 PM »
Very nice. I might do a Courtroom if nobody beats me to it, though I'm not going to buy until they release everything.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:54:34 PM by Libertad »

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 10:49:08 PM »
When someone gets their hands on it, let me know if it's usable for 3.5 (with pathfinder skills)