Author Topic: Ritual Magic Index & General Discussion  (Read 85505 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 12:30:50 PM »
Done.

Now you've got a choice of Monsters or Classes next :)

In either case, I'll start feeling sorry for you :)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 12:53:02 PM »
I'll do classes, I'm not good with balancing monsters for the most part.  :p

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »
Well, I'd say the Ritualist. He's the one the system was first built around, so he drove the ruleset.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »
Got it.  I'll eyeball it right now, I'm not doing anything at work anyway.  :P

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 05:55:09 PM »
Ritualist: d6 hit die was a little surprising.

Armor penalty on rituals: Does it apply even if the ritualist later becomes proficient in the armor?

I like Bloody Terror, though Ritualist level instead of Class level would sound better and stop potential issues with people misinterpreting phrasing.

The Brain Lock part of Grasp the Life Blood should say something like "As a move-action, the ritualist may attempt to brain-lock the creature currently being affected by its Grasp the Life Blood ability".  Also six minutes per ritualist level sounded arbitrary until I remembered that was how long rituals took.  Interesting.  Seems kind of abusable though, even with the save = immune for one minute.  Maybe make it so that only one target can be brain locked at a time or increase the immunity time?

Bonus feat distribution seems kind of random but that's really all I've got to say there.

Shatter Resistance: I don't like per day abilities that waste uses when the target makes its save.  Then again I'm not a fan of per day abilities at all anymore. 

A Heart's Beat should probably specific if it detects/does not detect undead and/or constructs just to be specific.

Life's End: I can see why it is 1/day, still not a fan of the potential to waste the use but I'm on the fence on that one.  This is a fairly powerful ability.

Bloodform: Actually this is a crappy mixed-bag capstone.  The immunities are nice, awesome in fact, but you become unable to be raised/resurrected and take a huge hit to Wisdom. 

Anything I didn't comment on looks good to me.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 07:39:38 PM »
Ritualist: d6 hit die was a little surprising.

Don't forget the Ritualist often ends up in combat, like an Incarnate. He's not really a "caster", per se.

Armor penalty on rituals: Does it apply even if the ritualist later becomes proficient in the armor?

It shouldn't. I'll fix that.

I like Bloody Terror, though Ritualist level instead of Class level would sound better and stop potential issues with people misinterpreting phrasing.

Will fix.

The Brain Lock part of Grasp the Life Blood should say something like "As a move-action, the ritualist may attempt to brain-lock the creature currently being affected by its Grasp the Life Blood ability".  Also six minutes per ritualist level sounded arbitrary until I remembered that was how long rituals took.  Interesting.  Seems kind of abusable though, even with the save = immune for one minute.  Maybe make it so that only one target can be brain locked at a time or increase the immunity time?

Grasp the Lifeblood was my solution to the Ritualist having a hard time getting sacrifices. Basically, he can pin them himself for long enough, at least low HD ones. I'll adjust to say only one creature can be affected by Grasp the Lifeblood at a time, and the immunity is one hour.

Bonus feat distribution seems kind of random but that's really all I've got to say there.

To regularize it, I'd move the level 16 to 15, add one at 19, and move A Heart's Beat. I get the feeling that ability needs a boost as well.

Shatter Resistance: I don't like per day abilities that waste uses when the target makes its save.  Then again I'm not a fan of per day abilities at all anymore. 

I can fix that.

A Heart's Beat should probably specific if it detects/does not detect undead and/or constructs just to be specific.

The ability needs an upgrade as well. Full round is too long.

Life's End: I can see why it is 1/day, still not a fan of the potential to waste the use but I'm on the fence on that one.  This is a fairly powerful ability.

It's mostly so he can grab a ritual at short notice, rather than being an aggressive SoD. To be used successfully, the target needs to fail 2 Will saves and a Fort save. It's mostly a mook eater.

Bloodform: Actually this is a crappy mixed-bag capstone.  The immunities are nice, awesome in fact, but you become unable to be raised/resurrected and take a huge hit to Wisdom. 

It's an unusual capstone... I think it might need a little tweaking.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 07:41:30 PM by Stratovarius »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 07:52:12 PM »
So, made the fixes, adjusted A Heart's Beat heavily, dropped the Fort Save from Hematic Seizure, and need to figure out what to do with Bloodform.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 07:59:27 PM »
I like the changes, things are looking good.

The easy fix for bloodform would be to gain the hemetic template without losing the ability to be raised/resurrected if you were previously able to and without taking the wisdom penalty.  I'm not sure if you want the easy fix or not though.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 08:03:13 PM »
Currently working on a new template called Bloodwalker:D

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 08:26:34 PM »
And done:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 09:32:11 PM »
I like it.  The only thing I can think of to change would be to possibly change the damage of Awaken Blood to something that scales, something like 1d10 per 2HD.  I'm not married to the idea, I just like scaling because it helps keep things relevant.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 10:01:25 PM »
It's borrowed from the Blood Magus class, hence the lack of scaling. If it would be better as 1d10/2 HD or some such, I can do that.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:28 PM »
Since it is a template, 10d10 damage for a CR 4 creature is a bit much.  Then again, it isn't much for a level 20 Ritualist that gained the template.

I don't know what to do with the template.  I say it's good enough and if someone else wanders over for input we can ask them.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 03:37:26 PM »
Well, it's the only way to get the template at the moment. Am thinking of having it allow Blood Awakened and Bloodwalk to create rituals if they kill something.

If that sounds good, we're on to the Ritual Warrior.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 06:34:52 PM »
Ritual Warrior

Why does he get a class feature at first level that he can't use until third?

Disfigure Corpse is too open ended.  Add something like "As a swift action, the ritual warrior may mutilate the corpse of a foe within reach that has died within the past round, marking blah blah.

Rituals of Combat:  DR/Magic is pretty weak, especially at higher levels.  Also what is "1d6 precise strike"?  That isn't a damage type. 

Bloodflay: Does the damage stop stacking when you attack someone else?  When does the stacking stop applying? 

Furious Release needs something about expending the ritual just to make sure it is understood.

Eviscerator has a weird way of activating.  Doing more than 10 damage on a critical at level 11 is a given.

Cowing Prowess is the same and totally overpowered.  Stack some extra attacks on the Ritual Warrior and give him a bludgeoning weapon and he can straight up kill anyone without fast healing or regeneration within a couple of rounds.

Ritual Attunement is a meh capstone, but that's because Enhancement bonuses don't stack so you'll already be getting a bunch of pluses to those things from your weapon and armor.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2014, 06:31:38 PM »
Not sure on the finishing strike. It does drive his entire class, more or less. Would have to come up with another ability to put there as well.

I'll add "within melee range" to disfigure corpse.

Precise strike is from the swashbuckler class. I'll copy the text in. And make the Dr grow. Maybe just make it Dr x/-.

I'll clear up bloodflay. Until he attacks another creature or one round has passed without attacking the creature.

Furious release I'll clean up.

The reason for the damage requirement is so you cant, say, critical a golem but deal no damage and have it trigger.

Cowing Prowess is that way so the ritual warrior can try and keep up with SoD teleporting wizards, which arrive at the same level.

I'll change the capstone to untyped.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2014, 07:57:37 PM »
Disfigure corpse should probably have some kind of time limit for when it died, otherwise you can use it on whatever dead bodies you might come across. 

Making the DR x/- will beef it up a lot.

Golems are immune to critical hits, you can't critical a golem. :p

I'm still iffy on Cowing Prowess, it is pretty abusable.

Changing the capstone to untyped sounds good.

What is the ritual hit dice cap?  I can't find that information.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2014, 12:24:29 AM »
Within the last minute sound good for disfigure corpse?

Right, so I can probably remove the critical damage requirement.

Are the others not as bad as CP? Since the other does do dex or str damage.

It should be in the rules post. I think it's 3 HD/lvl, from memory.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »
Within the last minute sound good for disfigure corpse?
Sounds good to me.

Right, so I can probably remove the critical damage requirement.
How about you remove the damage requirement but replace it with a line that says creatures immune to critical hits are also immune to this ability.  That should give you the same effect and also help specify your intent.

Are the others not as bad as CP? Since the other does do dex or str damage.
Constitution damage is the worst offender, Str/Dex is in the middle, Attack Bonus (Should say Base Attack Bonus)/Natural Armor is the least bad.

Hmmm.  Well, at a minimum we could negate my biggest concerns by adding that an ability score cannot be reduced to 0 and that BAB/Natural Armor can't be reduced below zero (or you could just standardize and say that nothing can be reduced to zero by this ability).  At least that negates the ability to kill people with it.  And they are super easily removed.  Adding that line means I'll find them to be acceptable. :p

It says only magical healing will remove the penalties, which means no rest or fast healing or regeneration.  I just want to confirm that's what you meant.

It should be in the rules post. I think it's 3 HD/lvl, from memory.
It should be but I'm not finding it.  That could just be me though.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2014, 05:54:12 PM »
It's paragraph three under Rituals in the basic rules post.

I'll fix the crit thing.

I'll adjust to can't go below 1. Also, it just says healing -> meant any type of healing, including natural.