Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life  (Read 180108 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life
« Reply #260 on: October 19, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »
Arguing with you about things outside of homebrew or Char Op is always pointless.
Ahh I see. That's what you meant by things would get serious.

Well maybe my messages seem to be "antagonistic". I'm not really sure. It's something that rarely comes up and always from something that's turned defensive and dismissive. And to me it almost always appears rooted in their inherently biaist stream of altered tones and flip-flopped emphasis their inner voice says from while reading my text too because I always feel like I've had to continually point out they are taking things the wrong way. And somehow that just makes things worse.  :-\

All well, I still don't hate you Nan for trying to correct me with your usage of a term to try and make it seem like I was insulting my self or even for trying continuing what you think is an argument even if you hate various attributes of me. Beer?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:24:34 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 19, 2018, 03:43:11 PM »
For what it's worth, I find that my initial contacts with board members tend to come off as abrasive until they realize they can't take what I'm saying all that seriously 80% of the time.

I've been around here for years now, so pretty much everyone knows me well enough to not take much of what I say at face value, but waaaaaaaaaay back when we used the karma system, I had so much negative karma that when people started coming around, I actually preferred that people downvoted my posts if they meant to show appreciation for them.  :p
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 19, 2018, 04:09:42 PM »
For what it's worth, I find that my initial contacts with board members tend to come off as abrasive until they realize they can't take what I'm saying all that seriously 80% 81% of the time.

I've been around here for years now, so pretty much everyone knows me well enough to not take much of what I say at face value, but waaaaaaaaaay back when we used the karma system, I had so much negative karma that when people started coming around, I actually preferred that people downvoted my posts if they meant to show appreciation for them.  :p

Fixed that for you  ;)

(as an aside, 'cause I'm an optimist)
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 19, 2018, 04:18:41 PM »
For what it's worth, I find that my initial contacts with board members tend to come off as abrasive until they realize they can't take what I'm saying all that seriously 80% of the time.
Whaaaaat? You mean you don't round house kick people back to life at Staples while wearing a full suit of armor? Shame shame :p

I hated the karma system even through I was the second highest member (no one can compete with Prime!). Like should people have the ability to censer what they want to hear or not? One the one hand no one should be subjected to Youtube comments but on the other you get results that can be seen on Reddit which create the kind of monsters that would ban people for posting the part of Microsoft's user agreement to prove inaccuracies in their incorrect beliefs. I think certain disagreements are inherently helpful and that there are better and more productive means, such as learning to step back or how to try and pull useful information out of bad sources, rather than resorting to pure censorship.

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 19, 2018, 04:38:45 PM »
feedback system for appeals. All actions they take also come with an explanation and multiple warnings are issued before any temp bans are.
this very much was the case at one point in time; but I can tell you from first hand experience that this is absolutely no longer the case.
just fyi.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 19, 2018, 04:54:06 PM »
Whaaaaat? You mean you don't round house kick people back to life at Staples while wearing a full suit of armor? Shame shame :p

Of course not. We don't have a Staples in Brazil. And if I DID have armor, the lack of mobility would mean it would get stolen before I could start the wind-up for the kick.  :p

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 19, 2018, 05:21:17 PM »
feedback system for appeals. All actions they take also come with an explanation and multiple warnings are issued before any temp bans are.
this very much was the case at one point in time; but I can tell you from first hand experience that this is absolutely no longer the case. just fyi.
That was part of my point.

Of course not. We don't have a Staples in Brazil. And if I DID have armor, the lack of mobility would mean it would get stolen before I could start the wind-up for the kick.  :p
You need some kind of carbon nanotube ninja gi.

Also for some reason I thought you sold office supplies. >.>

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 19, 2018, 05:25:29 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #268 on: October 19, 2018, 06:04:31 PM »
Another day, another failed relationship

Ticking up my 18th notch on assassinated relationships, should i celebrate or something? FML

"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 19, 2018, 06:14:33 PM »
Quote from: SorO_Lost
This may come as a bit of a shocker to you, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

This comes off as antagonistic, and it's how you phrase things all the time.

It's why people get into big fights with you more than they do with anyone else.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 19, 2018, 06:37:17 PM »
<Complaining about LoZ SP Edition's free handouts>
Personally, I think they should have just called it The Legend of Zelda: Millennial's Expectations.
I just have to say, you do know that any adult under 40 is a millenial don't you?
And so we are clear here. That is not an example antagonistic language, baiting, or any form of an intended insult using an incorrect definition of a word in order to imply it?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:39:46 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 19, 2018, 07:22:54 PM »
<Complaining about LoZ SP Edition's free handouts>
Personally, I think they should have just called it The Legend of Zelda: Millennial's Expectations.
I just have to say, you do know that any adult under 40 is a millenial don't you?
And so we are clear here. That is not an example antagonistic language, baiting, or any form of an intended insult using an incorrect definition of a word in order to imply it?

Correcting someone is not antagonizing someone, telling someone that they are full of crap is antagonizing someone.  Also, we've been over the fact that there is no generally accepted correct definition of the word so please just drop that shit

The fact that you don't seem to understand the difference between correcting someone and telling them that they're full of crap is why you have a reputation as being an asshole.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 19, 2018, 08:22:23 PM »
this very much was the case at one point in time; but I can tell you from first hand experience that this is absolutely no longer the case. just fyi.

You need some kind of carbon nanotube ninja gi.

Also for some reason I thought you sold office supplies. >.>
Might've been my brief stint as an office worker. I have a photo floating around of me doing work in my sleep somewhere.

I'd take a badass haori over that, though.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 19, 2018, 08:44:45 PM »
Sleepworking is awesome.  reminds me of sleepmarching in the army (though, sleepshooting made for some interesting moments).

re: 18 assassinated relationships -- depends on your age on what kind of "sucks" that is, i guess.
find your dudes, share a drink, figure it out in the morning.  should probably stop keeping count, except for your therapist.

@SorO: don't worry man, i think you're tits.  your cynical no-patience-for-bs style is pretty fresh.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 20, 2018, 03:03:49 AM »
i love how no one argued about me calling you all grumpy old men  :lol

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 20, 2018, 03:04:36 AM »
WHO RATTLED YOUR CHAIN?

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 03:15:05 AM by wotmaniac »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 20, 2018, 10:22:32 AM »
Get off my lawn! :shakefist
*Spends five minutes unwrapping a Werther's Original.*

You know, before they ruined Halloween I was looking forward to egging people's houses as an adult. Think about it, if someone shows up you can just stand there yelling about how those darn kids ruined your house.  ;)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 20, 2018, 12:42:36 PM »

I've been called a grumpy old man by at least one ex so I'm used to it.   :p

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 20, 2018, 06:28:46 PM »
before they ruined Halloween

Out of curiosity what is different now?
Disclosure: I have not done anything for Halloween in over 15 years, not even receive any trick or treaters.
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 21, 2018, 01:56:45 PM »
Out of curiosity what is different now?
Disclosure: I have not done anything for Halloween in over 15 years, not even receive any trick or treaters.
That's the difference :p

People have been steadily moving away from trick-or-treating their neighborhood on the night of Halloween in favor of organized trunk-and-treats on a more commercially available afternoon. In those celebration dead organizations kids dress up in character advertisements to line up and march down a mall hallway, school gym, or at worst a parking lot like some kind of unsophisticated hick. People and local businesses hand out candy and flyers in an efficient assembly line that'll give you the time needed to make it home before dinner.

Now obviously I'm pointing out the worst case but people participating in the "safe stop" areas are not around or don't feel like they should participate in neighborhood. Stranger danger and the entire hovering parenting thing have gone a long way to turning your kids loose to do much of anything. You'll often find a mix of both in cities as some people push back for various reasons, like feeling that the neighborhood part brings people together and avoids the over commercialization. In your case, you are yet another person avoiding it or simply happen to live somewhere where no one cares and they like the assembling line of handouts.