The OOC thread!

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: OOC
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:31:47 PM »
Posting for great victory!

I hope that this PbP is the one that breaks me out of my trend of leaving.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:22:13 PM »
Since I posted my concept in the recruiting thread (Rilkan Expert/Rogue/Beguiler/Druid/FL), I'd like to make it painfully clear that I'm not making a trapmonkey.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:24:47 PM by InnaBinder »
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:01:32 PM »
Things I'm interested in playing (feel free to reject any/all of them, I'm just throwing out some of the weirder things that I never get to play):

The Frozen Brawler from my build thread, or at least something based off of it as I haven't adjusted the build in awhile.  It would need some rulings ironed out.
  - Monk/ Half-Orc Paragon/ Stoneblessed (Dwarf)/ Fist of the Forest/ Deepwarden/ Frostrager

A Dwarven Barbarian that turns into a raging animal
  - Either a Lycanthrope or the Primeval class, this one is variable for build

A magic monk
  - Monk/ Warlock/ Ur-Priest/ Sacred Fist/ Enlightened Fist

Super skills dude
  - Changeling Rogue/ Factotum/ Exemplar/ something or another (I lost my notes for this one, something along the lines of taking ten on almost every skill, mostly out of combat focus)

Mr. pretends to be a sorcerer (Yeah, I lost the notes for this one too)
  - Glimmerskin Halfling (I think) Wizard/ Combat Medic/ Magelord (Lost Empires of Faerun)

Okay, I'll stop trying to remember my old random not super optimized builds, five is enough.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 08:29:40 AM »
In Soviet Russia, character generates you!

As I said, Extractor is not finished (or posted) yet but is my first choice.  It's a Factotum/Incarnum mix, designed to basically recreate the character of Dom Cobb from Inception.  Uses Infinite Shore and phaedrusxy's Lucid Dreaming rules.

Second choice would be a Ley Engineer.

Third would be a Cycle Warden.

Probably human in all cases.  Anyone have comments?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Honorary Mod
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 09:07:25 AM »
Things I'm interested in playing (feel free to reject any/all of them, I'm just throwing out some of the weirder things that I never get to play):
Any of them would work.
Oh wait am I supposed to help you pick? Pick the one you'll enjoy.
Still not helpful? Umm.. see what everyone else is playing and go from there?

~It would need some rulings ironed out.
Like racial requirements? Yeah guess how well I like those too...

As I said, Extractor is not finished (or posted) yet but is my first choice.  It's a Factotum/Incarnum mix, designed to basically recreate the character of Dom Cobb from Inception.  Uses Infinite Shore and phaedrusxy's Lucid Dreaming rules.
I like that Discipline and would love to try it out at higher levels, guess you'd make a great surrogate. Think you can get the Extracter finished anytime soon?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:10:31 AM »
I like that Discipline and would love to try it out at higher levels, guess you'd make a great surrogate. Think you can get the Extracter finished anytime soon?
It's my top homebrew priority.  The main class will be finished in a day or so, and then writing the soulmelds will take a little bit longer.  Hopefully I can have it playable by the weekend... is that soon enough?

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 09:20:44 AM »
Any chance of you playing a Rilkan instead of a Human, to make that racial "benefit" at all beneficial?   :flutter
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:25:27 AM »
Any chance of you playing a Rilkan instead of a Human, to make that racial "benefit" at all beneficial?   :flutter

Actually... Rilkan works quite nicely if I'm going to give up a bonus feat.  The skill bonii are very appropriate.  And Aiding Another will be quite useful to me in certain situations.  Though... why the hell don't Rilkans and Skarn get bonus essentia?  Blargh.

You just need to take 5 ranks in Lucid Dreaming, ok?  That way you can help me :)

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 09:33:07 AM »

Actually... Rilkan works quite nicely if I'm going to give up a bonus feat.  The skill bonii are very appropriate.  And Aiding Another will be quite useful to me in certain situations.  Though... why the hell don't Rilkans and Skarn get bonus essentia?  Blargh.

You just need to take 5 ranks in Lucid Dreaming, ok?  That way you can help me :)
I can do that, but it won't show up until the later editions of my Fochlucan Lyrist - at least level 9.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 09:57:38 AM »
Any of them would work.
Oh wait am I supposed to help you pick? Pick the one you'll enjoy.
Still not helpful? Umm.. see what everyone else is playing and go from there?

~It would need some rulings ironed out.
Like racial requirements? Yeah guess how well I like those too...

Actually stoneblessed takes care of the racial requirements, but I'm perfectly happy not needing that!

I meant more how the unarmed damage progression of monk, fist of the forest, and frostrager interact and stack or not.

I'm okay with being able to play any of them.  I'll just wait and see what everybody else wants to do and fill in whatever gaps I see.  I usually do that anyway.   :)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 11:07:23 AM »
Copying this over, so I can get an answer from the DM:

Quote from: Me!
If the 'brews are OK, I'd kinda like to play a:

Warlock 6/Unrepentant Pact-Bound Hunter 10/Something 4

I'm planning on taking the Baptism of the Shattered Oak, using the Favored Enemy generated by using Mask of Flesh.

Does that seem acceptable? I can basically fluff it as an assassin for hire (you ever read Scud the Disposable Assassin? Kinda like that.), or as more of a bounty-hunter type (I'm sure there is a nonlethal Eldritch Essence somewhere)
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Honorary Mod
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 02:37:09 PM »
Hopefully I can have it playable by the weekend... is that soon enough?
Probably plenty of time, everyone else needs set up.

I meant more how the unarmed damage progression of monk, fist of the forest, and frostrager interact and stack or not.
They do. Hmm, should I explain? Yeah. I probably should so we're all on the same page.

Monk has it's own progression that caps at 2d10 (if medium) at level 20 (per epic). FoF straight up provides progression per Monk so it too would hit the same cap if applicable. Frostrager on the other hand functionally is a Size increase and alludes to such but someone forgot the sentence saying it is.

Monk 5 / FoF 3 / Frost 1 would be the 1d10 base for Monk, FoF's increase changes this to 2d8 (per monk), and Frost Rager changes this to 3d8 (per size increase). Notably, this lines up exactly as if you were already Large and then applied the 16th level of Monk (per PHB), where 16th level is when you would have obtains your second die increase normally had FoF not skipped you there.

So yes, and do you see where I'm coming from?
Edit: Also, so many buttons now. I keep hitting Split/Remove to modify and just hit Quote. >.>
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:40:07 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 03:13:58 PM »
I see exactly where you're coming from, and I like it!

I've nixed the lycanthrope and crazy magic monk from my list of possibilities and am waiting to see what everyone else brings to the 'table' before narrowing further.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »
So.... I changed my mind.

I'm going with a Human SorO's Blue Mage. I have no idea how to do this, considering we will be playing at various timelines at the same time, but yeah... It's worth a try  :plotting

Offline SorO_Lost

• Honorary Mod
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
Given your Known list can change at any time it's not a big deal if the 9th level version has zero spells in common with the 4th level version.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 07:30:41 PM »
You know what, I just saw that rage now can be used unlimited times per day with a 5 minute cooldown between uses.

I am our beatstick.   :cool

Edit: Just to double check, our first level in an npc class basically gets retrained away for the other snapshot builds correct?

Edit edit: Does your alignment system change mean that classes no longer have alignment requirements?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 08:13:40 PM »
Given your Known list can change at any time it's not a big deal if the 9th level version has zero spells in common with the 4th level version.

So, your opinions on the 'brews?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 08:19:59 PM »

I can do that, but it won't show up until the later editions of my Fochlucan Lyrist - at least level 9.

The LD ranks requirement has changed to 3, so that's good.  Plus, you can get LD as a class skill with Martial Study (any Infinite Shore maneuver).  It might be worth it, since one of the 1st-level maneuvers gives you a weapon for free 1/encounter.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 07:38:47 AM »

The LD ranks requirement has changed to 3, so that's good.  Plus, you can get LD as a class skill with Martial Study (any Infinite Shore maneuver).  It might be worth it, since one of the 1st-level maneuvers gives you a weapon for free 1/encounter.
In general, I don't touch much homebrew, and all my feats are spoken for.