Author Topic: The Nonfictional People Strike Back(OOC)  (Read 32164 times)

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: The Nonfictional People Strike Back(OOC)
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2016, 06:23:24 PM »
Tr'Bon's (I can't pronounce that!) HP doesn't reflect the maximized level 1 HD, by the way.

Just be thankful I didn't use Welsh. Ymerawdwyr is the first name of one of my characters who did. Don't ask me how to pronounce it either :P
I'm fairly confident Welsh names can be pronounced, in theory. Tr'bon, however... As an English speaker, I have a hard time not turning [tɹ] into [tʃɹ], but I can do it if I try, but I'm not sure that [ɹ?b] is even possible.
Presumably the spelling doesn't actually match the pronunciation.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2016, 07:15:31 PM »
Tr'Bon's (I can't pronounce that!) HP doesn't reflect the maximized level 1 HD, by the way.

Just be thankful I didn't use Welsh. Ymerawdwyr is the first name of one of my characters who did. Don't ask me how to pronounce it either :P
I'm fairly confident Welsh names can be pronounced, in theory. Tr'bon, however... As an English speaker, I have a hard time not turning [tɹ] into [tʃɹ], but I can do it if I try, but I'm not sure that [ɹ?b] is even possible.

Not quite. I've never really tried to, since it's always been an RPG name for me.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2016, 12:44:51 AM »
Huh, looks like I'm the only person in the party who didn't take Inattentive. Go go +17 Spot/Listen... and darkvision, and low-light vision, and blindsense. Sensory powers ahoy!

I'm mentally pronouncing it like "tear bond" (minus the 'd'). Is this accurate at all? Probably not. Does it matter? Also probably not.

So, background (while I try to figure out how to spend the rest of my money).  I feel like the deathbot and I should be traveling companions pre-campaign.

A Dueling Headband, maybe, if you want some reusable magic with that last bit of cash and to make some use of your Intimidate ranks? I'm assuming you've already skipped past the idea of any potions or other consumables. And of course there's the bit of cash reserved for miscellaneous traveling supplies and liquidity.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2016, 03:52:29 AM »
So, background (while I try to figure out how to spend the rest of my money).  I feel like the deathbot and I should be traveling companions pre-campaign.

Sounds like a plan. :D

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2016, 08:31:43 AM »
I will probably be unusually busy for the next week. I'll still check this thread, but may be slow to reply.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2016, 10:16:49 AM »

So, do you have any ideas as to your background?  :p

@Garryl: I'll look at your low cost items and see if anything grabs me.  I might end up just buying my skeleton and weapon and saving the rest.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2016, 11:49:55 AM »

So, do you have any ideas as to your background?  :p

Mostly I have some ideas about the Deathjack's initial construction in a mad wizard/scientist type lab somewhere. Once complete it breaks free, ignites its soul furnice using its creator and wanders off into the world to find more souls to burn. Beyond that I dont have anything solid.
I need some reason for its current attitude that murdering everything in sight is probably too high profile for the moment. Any input on that would be welcome.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2016, 12:48:29 PM »
Meeting up with Hrothgar probably could have helped with the attitude change.  He tries to be subtle with his undead companion, although his definition of subtle is a little skewed given his mental stats. 

Just spitballing: Hrothgar grew up somewhere kind of like The Mournland.  Because of this he's always had an affinity for death but didn't have the mental ability to become a necromancer.  Instead he learned to channel his affinity in a different direction (thus the class).  Probably got kicked out of his tribe, ran into deathbot, and thought he was really damn cool.  Tried to teach deathbot how to interact with normal society (which means that deathbot probably has a weird idea of what normal society is), and because deathbots dearest and closest friend (at least in Hrothgar's head).  Since Hrothgar was probably kicked out of his tribe for his abilities he can relate first hand experience about why you should keep things low-key and not murder everything.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2016, 01:47:56 PM »
Sounds solid enough, somewhere like the Mournland is certainly where I would set up an unholy construct/steam/necromancy workshop if I was a maniacal wizard too.

My main push with character development at the moment is the concept of identity as a constructed being. It has given itself a name (Librum Necra) taken from the books used to create it (The Librum Mekanecrus and the Katadesmos Necra). Its humanoid form is female-ish but it doesn't really have any sort of gender identity to speak of and will answer to he/she/it/AAARGH

I may change the name, the way I have it set up the first part is latin and the second greek which bugs me even if it makes logical sense but I may also stick with it because the character doesn't speak anything but common and has no concept of what the words mean anyway. (The Librum (Latin) Mekanecrus (bad Greek) falls into this too annoyingly but is the cannon name of the book used to create the Deathjack in the Iron Kingdoms)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:53:26 PM by littha »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2016, 09:44:14 AM »
Huh, looks like I'm the only person in the party who didn't take Inattentive. Go go +17 Spot/Listen... and darkvision, and low-light vision, and blindsense. Sensory powers ahoy!

You're our eyes and ears. Because I'll be too busy politely chatting to people to notice anyone around me.

I'm mentally pronouncing it like "tear bond" (minus the 'd'). Is this accurate at all? Probably not. Does it matter? Also probably not.

I tend to think of him as "Treh" "Bonn", but I always end up anglicizing names I create.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2016, 10:08:41 AM »

You're our eyes and ears. Because I'll be too busy politely chatting to people to notice anyone around me.

This bat's going to start mocking people for "being blind as a human", won't I?

I tend to think of him as "Treh" "Bonn", but I always end up anglicizing names I create.

Sounds more like franicsization (or whatever the French equivalent of anglicization is). "Très bon" means "very good" in French.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2016, 10:56:56 AM »

I'm not sure most of us are human, but I'm certainly a fairly blind one.

Sounds more like franicsization (or whatever the French equivalent of anglicization is). "Très bon" means "very good" in French.

Ugh, no. That was certainly not intentional. I do not want to sound like a frog ribbiting :P

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2016, 11:41:18 AM »

I'm not sure most of us are human, but I'm certainly a fairly blind one.

Human: Two legs, no wings, only have fur on your head.
Elf: Two legs, no wings, only have fur on your head.
Orc: Two legs, no wings, only have fur on your head.

What's the difference?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »
Orcs are bigger.  :P

Also, I have fur other places.   :smirk

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2016, 02:33:18 PM »
Deathjack: Two legs, no wings, no fur, covered in blades, green smoke.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2016, 03:41:22 PM »
Just gave Bob Power Attack and Combat Reflexes. Wasn't feeling inventive.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2016, 08:23:28 PM »
Deathjack: Two legs, no wings, no fur, covered in blades, green smoke.

:lol

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2016, 11:14:12 AM »
Just spitballing: Hrothgar grew up somewhere kind of like The Mournland.  Because of this he's always had an affinity for death but didn't have the mental ability to become a necromancer.
Sounds solid enough, somewhere like the Mournland is certainly where I would set up an unholy construct/steam/necromancy workshop if I was a maniacal wizard too.
Some of the negative planes might work for that. (They all have a few less or non-negative aligned regions.) I'm working on descriptions of them.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2016, 01:01:29 PM »
For backstory, would having Tr'bon be an ex-low level officer (lieutenant, sergeant) be appropriate? It'd make it easy to explain why he's a decent leader, and where Bob came from.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2016, 01:10:31 PM »
I don't see why not.