Author Topic: General Discussion and Sugestions  (Read 75411 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion and Sugestions
« Reply #220 on: January 07, 2014, 04:15:25 PM »
It's not 'curing mortality' at all.

It's removing the concept of death from an entity using drugs and powers over eternity. Then there's the drugs that insure a sweet dream. And using Heal to poison people seems... kind of ridiculous. Plus basically all the given uses for the skill is basic first aid. >_>;
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:17:44 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #221 on: January 07, 2014, 04:34:43 PM »
And that sounds like an interesting thing for Eirin. Does it use Craft (Alchemy)?

Heal. She's a space nurse after all. :p

That would imply surgery. Eirin's abilities are specifically drugs. :p

Wait a second, you can use the Heal skill to perform surgery in D&D now? Where? Last time I readed it, only allowed for first aid, treating poisons and diseases, and long-term care (aka nursing).

Other touhou characters could be called alchemists of sorts (Marisa sure beats Eirin when it comes to brewing explosive stuff). Only the lunarian nurse can be claimed to have healing training.

It's removing the concept of death from an entity using drugs and powers over eternity. Then there's the drugs that insure a sweet dream. And using Heal to poison people seems... kind of ridiculous. Plus basically all the given uses for the skill is basic first aid. >_>;
The line between a medicine and hallucinogenic is pretty thin. The diference between a medicine and a poison is often just how much you give to the other person.

Learning how to heal people means knowing what doesn't hurt them. Meaning that you know exactly what hurts them. Any talented medic knows a million different ways to screw up your body, it's just that they're expected to avoid doing those things.

Who do you think I am?
I'm not giving any personal opinion. Just dishing back stuff you say about yourself back at you. If you want to contradict yourself its you own business but it makes keeping track of what you approve and do not approve difficult. It seemed to be an issue when you first said that since it justified why you denied Ichirin a discipline all her own. Or whichever reason you had for saying that.
Yuuka is one of the most popular characters out there. Plenty of material around for inspiration, including a lack of other characters doing similar stuff. Ichirin... Not so much. So basically same reason because you denied Miko a discipline all her own. We didn't notice there were other spellcards around the corner, thus bundled it all up with other characters and went ahead with it.

We could say the exact same thing about half or more of the Touhou abilities out there. Didn't stop either of us from turning them into actual abilities, did it?
Half or more? Now you're the one pulling my leg.
Meh, more than one person I spoke with claims that Touhou is nothing more than silly girls playing fireworks with fancy names against each other, and that nobody could actually ever get hurt.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:37:24 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 07, 2014, 04:51:56 PM »
And that sounds like an interesting thing for Eirin. Does it use Craft (Alchemy)?

Heal. She's a space nurse after all. :p

That would imply surgery. Eirin's abilities are specifically drugs. :p

Wait a second, you can use the Heal skill to perform surgery in D&D now? Where? Last time I readed it, only allowed for first aid, treating poisons and diseases, and long-term care (aka nursing).

The Heal skill is... uh... first aid (since the poison/disease is only of use when making the saves) and changing bandages? I'm not really sure what the epic usages could be other than surgery, though. :/

Other touhou characters could be called alchemists of sorts (Marisa sure beats Eirin when it comes to brewing explosive stuff). Only the lunarian nurse can be claimed to have healing training.

I don't think that's Marisa's being better, necessarily; more not making explosives.

And nitroglycerin is a medicine. :D

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 07, 2014, 04:53:17 PM »
Yuuka is one of the most popular characters out there. Plenty of material around for inspiration, including a lack of other characters doing similar stuff. Ichirin... Not so much.
Ichirin is growing. Three games with spellcards in them, including a fighter game with a lot of material to work with. Entries and appearances in print works. And Unzan.
If you can do a whole discipline with 4 spellcards, I think you are underestimating yourself on what you can do with a character with as much material as Ichirin.

So basically same reason because you denied Miko a discipline all her own. We didn't notice there were other spellcards around the corner, thus bundled it all up with other characters and went ahead with it.
You maybe missed it it when I told you last time, but I'm currently doing a total rework of Desire Drive. Miko is indeed getting her own discipline and so is Futo, though Futo could share hers with Seiga (and Yoshika) as two different paths under the same school.
And as is, the current Desire Drive was made to keep a clear path system that separates the characters by linked stance. While hermits have access to hermit powers, they each have their specialty so I feel like I preserved character integrity that way. I'm reworking it because two hermits now have a massive amount of material to work with.

Meh, more than one person I spoke with claims that Touhou is nothing more than silly girls playing fireworks with fancy names against each other, and that nobody could actually ever get hurt.
How is that related to interpreting if a character, that is a compulsive liar, is telling a lie or not?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:56:29 PM by Anomander »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 07, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »
ANGRY CLOUD.

Byakuren is the only character in a Touhou game with a noticeable, sizeable bust. /tangent

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 07, 2014, 05:06:23 PM »
On the matter of Heal, my PHB states that it is "to keep a badly wounded friend from dying, to help others recover faster from wounds, to keep your friend from succumbing to a wyvern's poison sting, or to treat a disease."
Keeping badly wounded people from dying could certainly include surgery.
I remember seeing it appear for things like determining pressure points but the idea remains that it is all about knowing how organisms work and how to treat them (which indeed includes all the different ways you can screw it up). Anyone can make a poison but not everyone knows exactly how much of it you must use to have it act as a remedy in certain circumstances.
Plus, she has some kind of nurse outfit and her profile states that: "Eirin has begun using her knowledge of medicine to act as Gensokyo's premier pharmacist, selling medicines at Eientei ranging from sleep aids to various cures."
Its gotta be Heal.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2014, 05:15:38 PM »
So basically same reason because you denied Miko a discipline all her own. We didn't notice there were other spellcards around the corner, thus bundled it all up with other characters and went ahead with it.
You maybe missed it it when I told you last time, but I'm currently doing a total rework of Desire Drive. Miko is indeed getting her own discipline and so is Futo, though Futo could share hers with Seiga (and Yoshika) as two different paths under the same school.
Even if those were to be finished today, I would still have over a year to do the same with Ichirin, by your own standards, since you posted Desire Drive in 2012, and we're already in 2014.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »
Hopeless Masquerade was officially released on the 26th of May, 2013 (not counting Ichirin being in the trial version before that). You made yours after it and I did mine before it. I adapt mine to it, you decided to make yours despite the material already being available. Different contexts and the need to change is for different reasons. Desire Drive as is has character integrity despite including many characters so the need for change is only me feeling I can do better with the new material. They all get power from the Tao but they all have their own special extra. Sky Ruin and Venerable Battlefield mixes in characters that do not belong with each other despite having enough materials to stand on their own.
By my own standards, I would have implemented the available material to begin with, so you already failed to meet them, if that is now the objective for some reason. You deciding to even consider following my standards is shocking after insinuating so often that you abhor them.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:44:38 PM by Anomander »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 28, 2014, 05:28:54 PM »
So, like, I made a genderbent Cirno awhile ago and kinda been wanting an opinion on it. It's for a martial gestalt game and kinda has a few things just for fun and/or flavor. I focused seriously on Intimidation abuse though. Like I tried to optimize the shit out of Intimidate, then just had fun with the rest of it.

Naughtcerno Sircalnein IX
I thought I was being pretty clever there -_-'

The general battle plan consists of beating some one's face into a bloody pulp whilst everyone around me is frozen in fear :D

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 28, 2014, 05:38:56 PM »
... 00 circle 99? :p

Your defences seem a bit... bad.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 28, 2014, 05:43:50 PM »
No, it's Not Cirno :p

Bad as in...bad? Or bad as in actually bad? -_-'

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 28, 2014, 06:31:50 PM »
No, it's Not Cirno :p

Bad as in...bad? Or bad as in actually bad? -_-'

You have DR 10, but I recall something about taking extra damage. And high HP is only so good if everything can hit you.

Though looking at your traits and flaws, I can only go: 'what'. What sane person lets you get CHA to HP and AC in exchange for a penalty smaller than your likely CHA modifier to two CHA checks? And then there's a flaw that's completely optional due to a low save and impacting nothing... plus some free (literally) bonuses. And then a flaw that is... uh... attack anyone hostile/looking for a fight... because that is clearly a flaw in an RPG. /sarcasm

Tempted to say that if the DM is permitting those, it doesn't matter what you do. >_>;

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 28, 2014, 06:53:36 PM »
Yeah there is the Iron Vulnerability, which causes iron weapons to do 1d6 more damage, but Unseelie Fey lose that Vulnerability at 12 HD. The high hp does help as I really imagine attracting all of the enemies' hate >>. Which means the AC could be useful higher, but I'm not too worried there because I could make it better, but the expected DM is disgustingly good at optimization so it'd be kind of a tough arms race to win AC vs. to hit bonuses. So hey, I might just get myself killed right fast anyways.

We aren't a very strict group, the flaws were pretty silly terrible, and yes, that trait is disgustingly broken but the fluff is pretty enticing to me for making potential Rping more entertaining. There was some talk with the DM in how the flaw that can autofail diplomacy checks could come up when the party is trying to diplo through some important social situations and simply worsening the attitude rank of npcs to below neutral when talks go bad could be enough to trigger the violently enthusiastic one and make me start pummeling dignitaries and/or nobles (the save DC does keep rising every round <<).
It doesn't help that I'm likely to be the party face, at that.

On the other side of things, some one else in the party has got a genderbent Mokou based around Charisma as well and all about peace & harmony. Effectively my polar opposite. It's a fire & ice kind of thing -_-'
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:55:11 PM by ketaro »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2014, 07:45:15 PM »
On the other side of things, some one else in the party has got a genderbent Mokou based around Charisma as well and all about peace & harmony. Effectively my polar opposite. It's a fire & ice kind of thing -_-'

Okay, that character has absolutely nothing in common with Mokou (personality-wise), then. From CiLR:
The next three hundred years I spent harboring a grudge against this world, and was able to preserve the faintest sense of identity by immediately dispatching anything that crossed my path, youkai or otherwise.

Speaking of Mokou, take a look at this abomination. :lmao

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 28, 2014, 07:57:04 PM »
Well it's really just appearance wise. I don't feel like my not-cirno has much in common with Cirno and all either, personality wise :p
(Well maybe a little bit. But...*shrugs* )

Yeah that thing you got there is pretty cool tho :D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:58:42 PM by ketaro »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2014, 01:32:43 PM »
Just to say that I'll probably work on Mamizou Futatsuiwa once I'm done with Desire Drive. In case someone was considering doing it.
Kind of got into the whole Tanuki thing.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 10, 2014, 07:44:21 PM »
I wonder how far you'll make her stretch :p

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 10, 2014, 11:01:55 PM »
I'm not sure I get your meaning.  :(

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 06, 2014, 10:00:34 PM »
So, like, I know this is the discussion for the Battle Grimoire, but I don't know where else to talk about it and I want to talk about something Touhou with the people who know the Touhous  -_-'

Any of you know about the Touhou Tabletop RPG, Damnaku Yuugi -Flowers- ?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 06, 2014, 10:07:11 PM »
It has a tabletop RPG? Oh god.