Meta Board > Off Topic Fun

The Politics Thread v3

(1/110) > >>

Raineh Daze:
Continue debating the merits of Kasich vs Clinton if you want. :p

dman11235:
Clinton>Kasich, no functional difference in what happens with them in office, Clinton not exciting and dangerous to progressives and Democrats.  That is, the party itself, and the Progressive movement.

FireInTheSky:

--- Quote from: dman11235 on April 20, 2016, 10:42:00 PM ---HOWEVER.  And this is a huge issue, the down ticket will suffer BIG TIME for the Ds.

--- End quote ---

I'm also worried about this. With how bad the R prez choices are, the Ds have a yuuuge opportunity to pick up a bunch of seats and then actually maybe get some things done for once. But the fracturing / alienation are squandering that opportunity.

dman11235:
Earlier I've seen a number of Clinton supporters and surrogates say things to the effect "We don't want Is voting, if you're anI wait until the GE" or "if you're an I you aren't a D and therefore are the enemy".  And then in the same breath accuse Sanders supporters of being "like the Tea Party" and intentionally splitting the Ds.

Unbeliever:

--- Quote from: dman11235 on April 21, 2016, 07:07:45 PM ---I don't think the executive action is as powerful as you think it is, although it is more powerful than people realize.  And less powerful.  It's weird.  People think Obama's using it to literally trample on their rights.  Like, manifest them as physical objects to trample on them.  And then they simultaneously think he can't do anything of note with them.  But mostly, it's a directorial thing.  Choose to spend the money that Congress has allocated for these things that Congress has enacted.  And choose how to spend that money.  There's a deceptive amount of stuff you can do with it, because it's all bureaucracy.

And all of that federal policy making?  I don't think there will be a functional difference between the two.  ...  She's slightly right of center, he's right of center, with a far right twinge at times as Bhu said.

--- End quote ---
“Bureaucratic policymaking is the hallmark of modern American government.” -- Daniel Carpenter, The Forging of Bureaucratic Autonomy (2001).  I could have picked any number of similar quotes and studies on this point.  The Headless Fourth Branch of our gov't is incredibly influential.   

You say that Hillary Clinton is "right of center."  So, I was curious.  I did some googling and looked up her NOMINATE Score.  This post does a decent job explaining them and where they come from, as well as mentioning her score:  http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/3/31/1374629/-Hillary-Clinton-Was-the-11th-Most-Liberal-Member-of-the-Senate  Basically, they are based on a legislator's votes and tell you where they are relative to other legislators.  The only thing I'll add is that NOMINATE scores are very very good.  They are more or less the gold standard for ideological scoring in social science.

Now it's possible you think President HRC would be extremely different from Senator HRC, ideologically.  But, it'd take a huge swing to make her right of center.  Unless you believe the whole Democratic party is right of center ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version