Author Topic: Thoughts/ Suggestions/ Questions with the new boards? Post here!  (Read 119546 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts/ Suggestions/ Questions with the new boards? Post here!
« Reply #140 on: December 25, 2011, 12:23:48 PM »
I hated those wannabe Facebook chat bars. They tend to be buggy or annoying. Then Facebook *updated* and now my problems with chat bars in bars isn't exclusive.

How about some IRC? It's simple, effective, and everyone can use their favorite client instead of talking about the short comings of the one you picked.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 25, 2011, 01:42:48 PM »
For IRC channels you really just need members. Most IRC servers are pretty much open access anyway.

As for a built in chat function...implementing it is liable to break something, even before considering the potential annoyance factor. Its not exactly critically needed.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 25, 2011, 09:29:54 PM »
It would be nice if there were a way to, say, tag certain threads as our favorites, and then have a drop-down menu for easy navigation between them.  I know I could just use my bookmarks, but for whatever reason it feels more organic to do it on-site... any thoughts?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2011, 04:31:13 AM »
I hated those wannabe Facebook chat bars. They tend to be buggy or annoying. Then Facebook *updated* and now my problems with chat bars in bars isn't exclusive.

How about some IRC? It's simple, effective, and everyone can use their favorite client instead of talking about the short comings of the one you picked.
I hate the chat/message function in Facebook. I don't mean that at all (unless I'm misunderstanding "chat bar," which is possible). I mean not just one person to one other person, but rather an open-session chat (similar to IRC) built in as a separate page.

So, whereas currently there's the Index with all the forum navigations, what I was suggesting was a link (probably somewhere at the top) to a Chat page which would be part of the board domain and use the same skin and navigation header and could function as a simple hang-out/haunt for people.
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2011, 12:53:02 AM »
This is based off a random thought I had.

How hard would it be to code a spoiler so that it's contents could not be opened until a specific person posted in that thread?

I'm wondering because it would allow someone to play rock-paper-scissors or a similar simulatneous action selection games.

It would be useful because I'm thinking of running something like this, or this.

If this is not feasible, that is OK too.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2011, 12:55:50 AM »
Would it be possible for private text like there is on Myth-Weavers to be added?

Offline NiteCyper

• Uploaded the stock avatar with better quality. =þ
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2012, 01:52:00 AM »
Three things: in-thread search, hover text, and topic title mandate.

1. In-thread search option to search within the thread itself. It would help so that one does not have to say the following: I'm sorry if these suggestions have already been posted and similar suggestions made afterwards are disliked. If any of my suggestions have been posted already, consider this a seconding.

2. On-hover text, mouse-over text, alt. text, title text, comment, or whatever that other boards have that allows previewing a thread (original post) by placing the mouse cursor over the thread title on the board overview and waiting until a text box pops up which is composed of the text of the first post. This is related to suggestion three.

3. Instate a rule that topic titles should be more descriptive than "(need) help" which I've seen (and made) all too often in Min/Max boards. This encourages better thread design. With the second suggestion implemented, this is much less if not totally unnecessary (except for those who do not give a good gist of their need in the amount of text that would be previewed in a hover-over text box). As provoked by this topic.

P.S.
4. Change quotation template such that the double quotation marks are 66s instead of backwards 99s and add 99s to the right side.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:00:10 AM by NiteCyper »
What? NiteCyper's post is evolving!

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2012, 02:21:45 PM »
Is there any way to add a graphic to an entire board?  Like a logo splash on the top or something?

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2012, 02:33:06 PM »
It's possible to make one part of the title, but that could lead to awkward layouts if applied to anything other than "The Podcast".

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2012, 03:08:30 PM »
I was just wondering, because I have a logo for my Magipunk setting and it would be really awesome to make the logo visible on all the pages in the Magipunk subforum.  But if that's a no-go then don't worry about it.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2012, 03:15:04 PM »
I was just wondering, because I have a logo for my Magipunk setting and it would be really awesome to make the logo visible on all the pages in the Magipunk subforum.  But if that's a no-go then don't worry about it.
Well, for individual threads you can just put it in each OP.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »
Well, for individual threads you can just put it in each OP.

That's what I'll probably end up doing, but it doesn't have quite the same feel.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 18, 2012, 10:29:31 PM »
I can't minimize the metaboard (eh not important enough), or the podcast board (many of us never read/post there, sorry) categories.

Shame there isn't a minimize or customization for certain boards within a maximized boards categories.
Got another thing: search bar. It doesn't search current thread first. I don't like loading 15pages to figure out where I last posted in a big thread. 1 click search was a great feature.
Am I just not using search correctly?

The old one was so good.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2012, 01:52:37 PM »
Would it be at all possible to add Tab codes like on this site?

If it would be too much of a hassle, you don't have to do anything about it; it just makes things pretty, and helps keep everything space efficient.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »
I can't minimize the metaboard (eh not important enough), or the podcast board (many of us never read/post there, sorry) categories.

Shame there isn't a minimize or customization for certain boards within a maximized boards categories.
Got another thing: search bar. It doesn't search current thread first. I don't like loading 15pages to figure out where I last posted in a big thread. 1 click search was a great feature.
Am I just not using search correctly?

The old one was so good.
I think you are using it incorrectly. The search bar at the top right of the screen ply returns swears within the current thread if I am in a topic, otherwise it searches only the active board, or if at the main forum page, all the forums.

At least, it does for me, just tested it.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2012, 07:09:06 AM »
Alright, the dice roller is annoying.  I quoted a post with a roll in it and now it has the big "TAMPERED WEEOOEEEOOO" siren.

EDIT: I deleted the warning, but it shouldn't happen from a quote.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:12:46 AM by sirpercival »

Offline hiram09

• Lurker
  • Not likely an Earth-being Captain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2012, 12:36:41 AM »
How do I attach a word file to a post pleaseÉ  I see where it says ÈAttachments and other optionsÈ below, but Ièm hanged if I can see how to actually do that little thing... HummÉ 
..now do NOT panic till I tells ya.... okayyyyy... PANIC!!

Offline hiram09

• Lurker
  • Not likely an Earth-being Captain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2012, 12:38:17 AM »
... oh, and why do I keep getting these wierd little things like this, É and È, whenever I try to use quotation marks or question marks in a postÉ
..now do NOT panic till I tells ya.... okayyyyy... PANIC!!

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2012, 05:35:39 AM »
Attachments have been disabled boards-wide. I recommend uploading the file to Mediafire or similar and linking it where you want it.

The question and quotation mark problem is probably something messed up with your settings. Is this the only site where that happens? Do you use some kind of nonstandard browser?
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2012, 05:40:46 AM »
... oh, and why do I keep getting these wierd little things like this, É and È, whenever I try to use quotation marks or question marks in a postÉ
Looks like a substitution on your end, I'd check for any dodgy addons and infections on your PC.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.