Author Topic: Paragon  (Read 61035 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Paragon
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2014, 07:10:27 PM »
1) It is ASF, fixed.

2)It doesn't matter whetever you're a wizard or sorceror. They both gain new spell levels every two levels, and the casting excellences always grant you two levels advancment each time, so you'll always unlock a new level of spells and can learn the extras from there.

Also, the more advanced excellences grant more extra spells, so I don't believe they need retraining on top of that.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2014, 07:22:20 PM »
You misunderstand, I'm sorry. The Greater Excellence 'Paragon Spell' allows you to "Choose one of your spells. It gains +1 to CL, DC and now ignores any previous limits on CL it had. Plus every time you cast that spell, you have a 75% chance of recovering the slot and being able to use it again."

The retraining I asked about was in regards to the "one spell" you can choose for the ability. A wizard is almost always going to be able to choose a higher level spell than a comparable Sorcerer could for the one spell, if they wanted to.

If you're still against it, that's fine. There are plenty of lower level spells it can be useful for, though less-so at higher levels of play.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2014, 03:57:14 PM »
Ah, I get it now. Done then.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »
You may want to reword it so that "at every level you gain, you may replace the spell you chose for this ability with another spell you know." Otherwise someone will assume you apply it to multiple spells as you gain levels.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2014, 08:05:47 AM »
Done.

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2014, 02:02:23 PM »
About Paragon Fencing: Do natural attacks qualify to benefit from the excellence? And should you possess multiple natural attacks of the same kind, do they all benefit on a full-attack? If not, perhaps an Excellence based on natural attacks could be appropriate. I ask because I'm playing a Grell in one of my groups and I want to get Forged By Experience, but none of the requisites really fit the monster.

Speaking of which, should my Grell obtain Forged By Experience, need it enchant every tentacle separately?
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »
About Paragon Fencing: Do natural attacks qualify to benefit from the excellence?
Yes.

And should you possess multiple natural attacks of the same kind, do they all benefit on a full-attack?
No. Only one weapon at a time.

If not, perhaps an Excellence based on natural attacks could be appropriate. I ask because I'm playing a Grell in one of my groups and I want to get Forged By Experience, but none of the requisites really fit the monster.
Well, as discussed earlier on this thread, multiple natural attacks don't really need that much help.

Still, with a fighter dip,  Paragon block would be useful for a Grell if you ask me. Hold one shield in one tentacle to get a pretty nice Block chance, plenty of attacks leftover.

Speaking of which, should my Grell obtain Forged By Experience, need it enchant every tentacle separately?
Yes. Would be kinda crazy otherwise.

Offline Rejakor

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2014, 03:26:07 AM »
What happened to 'Can You Weaklings Not Fight Any Better'?

That's the best name out of the lot.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2014, 11:58:04 AM »
It's togheter with the other extra perfect excellences.

Offline Rejakor

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2014, 08:58:16 AM »
a) This class has replaced Fighter in my games, and it works really, really, really well in that role.  Fighters that can actually do stuff!  My cleric player really loves it because he doesn't feel bad about using spells anymore.

b) Can the extra perfect excellences be put into the class proper?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2014, 12:36:52 PM »
Always great to hear that my work is being put to good use!  :D

Also moved the extra excellences to the main post if you think it's more convenient.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2015, 11:39:18 PM »
It occurs to me:
* Paragon Caster & etc. are super powerful on fast casters.  Not just ur-priest, but also Sublime Chord (which can pick off of the sorcerer and bard lists as well).  For Sublime chord, it also gives much needed spell slots.  I don't think you should change this, as these are really edge cases.  Ur-Priest is already broken, and sublime chord is a pain to qualify for.

* Similarly, Paragon Fighting Style & etc. are super powerful, because you keep full IL, get additional schools, additional manuevers, but you don't fall behind too much if you don't take it every pick.  For example, if you just spent 1/2 your picks (4) on being a martial character, you would still get +2 schools, +6 effective levels, +2 manuevers & +1 stance.  Some of your custom schools are worth it all by themselves (Hello "Red Magic" or some of the Plain History manuevers).

* Paragon Spell --> pretty innocent, but bypassing caster level constraints can be great in a few rare conditions (Contingency comes to mind).  This is actually a good thing ... makes an otherwise bland ability pretty cool!

Best,
David

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2015, 07:37:37 AM »
Yes, Paragon is supposed to allow for powerful Martial characters and allow you to pick a nice set of maneuvers along having some leftover Excellences.

Offline HolyCahony

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2015, 11:54:21 AM »
Hello,

first of all: oslecamo I LOVE your creations!!  :clap
Currently im building a gestalt character Anaxim//Paragorn /+5HD other Stuff as an back up char.
Main char is a Doppelganger / Terrasque // evolutioninst
Our DM is still managing to totally pawn us, despite the high power level we are playing.

As i was building the back up, I stumbled across the Excellence Paragon Proficiency:

Paragon Proficiency: You need proficiency with all martial weapons, heavy armor and at least 1 Exotic weapon to pick this Excellence. You gain proficiency with all Exotic weapons, and the saving DC of any effect created by magic weapons wielded by the Paragon becomes (10 + ½ HD + Highest Mental Stat mod) if it is higher than the standard DC. Effects which duplicate spells have a caster level equal to his HD if that is higher than normal (recalculate damage, duration, etc. as appropriate). Increase the enhancement bonus of any weapon wielded by the Paragon by 1; he may treat nonmagical weapons as +1 weapons, including natural weapons for both bonus.

I dont understand the last sentence. I can't tell, either natural weapons count as +2 (without any enchantments previously on them) or if all Weapons the Paragorn wields get +1 to their enhancement bonus (be it carried weapons or natural ones, magic or non magic).
Example for latter one: natural weapons would be +1 without previous enhancement and X+1 with previous enhancement X.

I'm no native speaker, so it might just be a language issue.  :blush

many thanks in advance.

HC

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2015, 01:34:23 PM »
If a weapon has no enhancement bonus: it's now treated as a +1 weapon.

If a weapon (any weapon) has an enhancement bonus: increase it by one

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2015, 04:39:21 PM »
Hello,

first of all: oslecamo I LOVE your creations!!  :clap
Currently im building a gestalt character Anaxim//Paragorn /+5HD other Stuff as an back up char.
Main char is a Doppelganger / Terrasque // evolutioninst
Our DM is still managing to totally pawn us, despite the high power level we are playing.
Thanks, always great to hear people are having fun with the material around here! :)

As i was building the back up, I stumbled across the Excellence Paragon Proficiency:

Paragon Proficiency: You need proficiency with all martial weapons, heavy armor and at least 1 Exotic weapon to pick this Excellence. You gain proficiency with all Exotic weapons, and the saving DC of any effect created by magic weapons wielded by the Paragon becomes (10 + ½ HD + Highest Mental Stat mod) if it is higher than the standard DC. Effects which duplicate spells have a caster level equal to his HD if that is higher than normal (recalculate damage, duration, etc. as appropriate). Increase the enhancement bonus of any weapon wielded by the Paragon by 1; he may treat nonmagical weapons as +1 weapons, including natural weapons for both bonus.

I dont understand the last sentence. I can't tell, either natural weapons count as +2 (without any enchantments previously on them) or if all Weapons the Paragorn wields get +1 to their enhancement bonus (be it carried weapons or natural ones, magic or non magic).
Example for latter one: natural weapons would be +1 without previous enhancement and X+1 with previous enhancement X.

I'm no native speaker, so it might just be a language issue.  :blush

many thanks in advance.

HC

It's like Raineh Daze and your 2nd reading says, all Weapons the Paragorn wielded get +1 to their enhancement bonus (be it carried weapons or natural ones, magic or non magic).

Offline HolyCahony

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2015, 12:22:04 PM »
After your answers I noticed there is some pretty similar syntax in the german language :banghead
Constantly improving my skills  :D

I thought of some more Excellences you might consider adding. :plotting
Excellence:
(click to show/hide)

Greater Excellences:
(click to show/hide)

Perfekt Excellence:
(click to show/hide)

You might rephrase it as you see fit.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:14:40 AM by HolyCahony »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2015, 01:01:39 AM »
Added Paragon Skillfocus to the basic Excellences list.

Ability Focus is somewhat out of the scope of Paragon. The purpose of this class is to make you do your usual things better, not in a different way. That's for what the Monster of Legend is for. Also there's some feats doing that kind of effect right now. Although I guess they could use some adapting to be more general range. Maybe later today.

Paragon Determination seems like a good idea, but needs a better wording. Right now I'm not very sure how it would work with things like Sneak attack, spells, maneuvers, monk AC/unarmed strike, etc.

Unarmed but Dangerous also seems like a good idea, but a bit weakish for a perfect Excellence. Right now it's just extra damage.

I'll think on suggestions on how to improve those if you don't mind.

Thanks for those!

Offline HolyCahony

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2015, 05:18:59 AM »
Paragon Determination:
After reading Paragon Magic and Paragon Warrior, I thought that there is something missing for normal classes.
Giving them the chance to change the Class Level dependent effects to HD dependent ones. But without giving them a progression in their old base class and OPing the excellence that way.
Sneak attack is unlocked early and stated with classlevels in the text, so it would increase with the excellence.
Spells are magic and not covered by the excellence (maybe i didn't point that out) [you already have excellences for this]
Maneuvers same as magic. already coveredy by warrior and the others.

Monk ac/unarmed strike would improve.

I hope I could clarify my goal a bit with this excellence.

Paragon (greater) Ability Focus:
Hmm.. ok.. if you put it that way... I can see your point :)
(the feats you linked from ariasderros, only allow charisma to be changed to some other mental stat. So altering a Int/Wis/Str/Con/Dex based special ability would not be possible.)

Unarmed but Dangerous
I have a large char with the Larger than Life excellence. He has some interesting natural weapons. They become more or less obsolete with taking LtL.
If you think it is not powerfull enough for a perfect excellence, feel free to increase its strength.  :cool

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2015, 01:39:41 PM »
Ok, added Paragon Determination as a normal Excellence (it's good, but not good enough for a Greater option I believe) along the extra examples.

Added a more versatile Altered Eldritch Source to the feats thread.

Since Larger than Life already allows you to wield bigger weapons, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't buff natural weapons by default as well, so simply buffed Larger than Life.