Author Topic: AD HOCC presents contest #1: The Plain Scholar [CONTEST THREAD]  (Read 10766 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
AD HOCC presents contest #1: The Plain Scholar [CONTEST THREAD]
« on: January 01, 2012, 07:51:52 AM »

PRESENTS

Welcome to the inaugural Homebrew Optimization Contest (brought to you by AD HOCC, the Ars Draconis Homebrew Optimization Contest Committee).  Since this is the first incarnation, there will almost certainly be speedbumps and confusion, so be sure to ask if you have questions, and also check back here for clarifications/changes.  Thanks, and enjoy!

--sirpercival

It's a new year, and the voters have spoken! Our first piece of homebrew to be optimized was written by oslecamo (click for the class info):

LOGISTICS

• This thread will be for questions and discussion of the contest itself.  There will be an additional thread for discussion, feedback, and clarifications with oslecamo about the Plain Scholar.
  • The contest will close in 3 weeks, on 1/22/2012.  When your build is ready, pm it to one of the judges, and it will be posted once the contest closes (to prevent cherry-picking of ideas).
  • The prize for winning is TBD (we're still discussing with the mods).

THE RULES

Build Guidelines:
  • 20 levels.  You may use any number of Plain Scholar levels, but the more levels of Plain Scholar, the more points. In any case, the class must be the central part of the build.
  • 32 pb, normal WBL, 2 flaws, 1 trait.
  • LA buyoff and pre-game crafting are allowed, including the MIC rules for combining items to conserve slots.  We are using the 1xp to 5gp conversion, so xp spent in the past that is providing a current benefit counts against WBL. Thus, self-crafted magic items cost 50% market price + 20% market price for the xp. XP from an artificer's own craft reserve don't count against WBL.  Note that the point of this contest is NOT to show off how good you are at stacking templates and crafting custom items.  Please focus on the homebrew.
  • Retraining, rebuilding, and PsyRef (with xp payoff as above) are allowed ONLY to improve viability at multiple levels.  In addition, retraining maneuvers is NOT allowed beyond that granted by the class itself.  DCFS is not allowed.
  • No infinite loops or other TO material, please.  If you're not sure, ask, or err on the side of caution.  Try to stick to builds that would be allowed by a lenient, optimization-friendly, but not stupid DM.

Allowed Content:
  • Homebrew -- The class in question, as well as supporting material by the author.  No other homebrew is allowed.  In addition, there will be no edits to the Plain Scholar once the competition starts; the homebrew content is reposted below.
  • Other content -- Anything published by WotC is allowed.  No Dragon mag, or non-WotC "official" content like spelljammer or athas.

Entry Guidelines: (please include the following)
  • Build + Feats + Manuevers
  • Any important skills, equipment or spells (but you don't need to list everything!)
  • A few comments about how the build addresses each point of the judging criteria
  • How the Plain Scholar class works with the build (if it isn't obvious)
  • Viability of the build at different levels
  • What are the key abilities? What makes it cool and different from other probable builds?
  • Feedback on the Plain Scholar, including an explanation/justification of build choices (to give the author an idea of why things work together or don't)

JUDGING CRITERIA

This contest will be judged by sirpercival, littha, and Garryl, with sirpercival the chairman.

Scoring:
  • Plain Scholar & Plain History are a large and substantial part of build.  More points to creative use of the class & maneuvers.
  • Optimization of material.  This will be in comparison to the starting point (for example, a highly-optimized tripper build would score higher than an average wizard build).
  • Viability of build.  More points will be awarded for viability at more levels, especially early.  Thus, it's important to discuss strategies and viability at as many levels as possible.
  • Creativity and originality in using classes, feats, skills, etc.

Each judge will assign a number from 1-10 for each criterion, and the build with the highest total score wins.  (In the case of a tie, the judges will discuss and come to a consensus first.)  Each build's scores will be posted when the results are announced, so you can see how you did on the various scales.  The judges may or may not include comments.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 07:56:14 AM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: AD HOCC presents contest #1: The Plain Scholar
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 07:52:02 AM »
Scholar

“The events of this night shall be mine to devour!”-Keine Kamishirasawa, master Scholar

Scholars are those who dedicate their lifes not only to the pursuit of knowledge, but also to its spreading. And manipulation. The mind of mortals is short and flawed, and thus those who write the history books can literally reshape reality as it's their words that will be perceived as "truth" in the future.

Unlike spellcasters, scholars believe in healthy balanced training of the mind and body, practising martial arts to help them prevail in an ignorant world filled with violent fools, and even developed their own particular fighting style, Plain History. This style focus on literally using knowledge as power, filling their oponents with doubts, finding their weak points, advising allies and even channeling old almost-forgoten powers.

MAKING A SCHOLAR

Abilities: Intelligence is the key ability for Plain History and also the knowledge skills you need to suceed. Constitution bolsters your HP and helps you stay in Mythical Form longer. Dexterity may come in handy as you're wearing light armor.
Races: Humans with their natural curiosity make for the most part of scholars, but otherwise no race shows special preference for this class.
Alignment: Scholars can be of any alignment, but they usually tend more to the lawful and good spectrums. Evil scholars spread unrest by fabricating rumors and conspiracies, while chaotic scholars openly challenge traditions and tabus.
Starting Gold: 4d4x10 (100gp)
Starting Age: Young

(click to show/hide)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 07:52:34 AM »
Plain History

Developed by scholars, the Plain History school focuses on the harvesting and manipulation of history.

Favored Weapon: unarmed strikes, scrolls, pens, quills, books, anything that can be used to quickly make detailed records of an event. Actualy Plain History Maneuvers demand the user to have at least a pair of hands free to write down notes during combat.  They don't actualy demand a physical medium, with anyone that knows at least one Plain History maneuver being able to write letters of mystic energy in mid-air with her bare hands, but they still cannot be busy wielding regular weapons and shields.

Favored Skill: Knowledge(nobility and royalty). Usually underapreciated by most other “smart” classes that prefer the study of the arcane or divine, a scholar knows there's a lot to learn directly from popular people.

1st level

First Pyramid: Strike–lock targets in stasis.
Spiritual Birth: Boost-Use your Intelligence for physical tasks.
Harsh Lesson:Strike-shock oponent with a short lecture, dealing damage and imposing skill penalty.
Feast Upon History: Counter–conceal a target by devouring the records of its existence.
Bright Teacher: Stance–Advise your allies in advance.

2nd level
Origin Sign:Strike–mark your target for study, dealing damage while uncovering information about it.
Ephemarility of Life: Strike–make target age older or younger for moments.
Burden of History: Counter–make oponent encumbered, or lighten up ally with assuring lesson.
Personal Point of View: Boost–focus on a single target, nobody else can interfere.

3rd level
Ambition Crisis-Cruelty: Strike–scare oponents by telling them of the most violent tyrants of history.
Sacred Treasure Sword:Stance- summon forth a wondrous item of legend to suport you.
Punish the Forgetful: Strike- use your hardly trained head to headbut your oponent!
Neverending Work:Boost- grant the target the ability to push forward to its destiny.

4th level
Ambition Crisis-Treason:Strike–outwit enemy with promises of ancient power, making it turn against its allies.
Sacred Treasure Orb: Boost-summon minor item of great importance.
Erase History: Strike–nullify action taken last round.
Light Ancestor:Boost-Blind all nearby creatures with sacred tales.

5th level
Ambition Crisis-Conquest: Strike-Gain control of weak minded fools.
Sacred Treasure Mirror: Counter-Summon forth a shield of legend to protect you.
Shrouded Records:Boost-Grant target total concealment.
Past-Old History:Strike-Retroactively take an action in the past.

6th level
Ambition Crisis-Colapse:Counter-predict your oponent's failure, making it true.
Ending Sign:Boost– Keep your dignity to the end.
Sacred Treasure Land: Stance–change the terrain around you to the promised land.
Traveling Companion:Strike-summon forth minor characters of history to aid you.

7th level
Pseudo-History-Boost-manipulate present facts to re-roll all your rolls for 1 round.
Phantasmal Emperor:Strike–ghostly manifestation of a legendary leader terrorizes oponents.
Returning Bridge to The Lost:Strike-Make your target face its own past.

8th level

The Legend of the Far Away Land:Boost-grant yourself any buff you had in the past.
Coming God's Realm: Stance–Turn yourself into a prophet of history itself.
Future-Next History: Strike-save your action for the most oportune moment.
Ancient Kingdom:Strike-shock your oponents with long-forgoten knowledge.

9th level
Emperor of the Far Away Land:Stance–Channel the essence of an ancient mighty ruler, making your oponents tremble in fear upon your very presence.
Total Purification:Strike-clean up History as you like.

Maneuvers explanations:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:55:35 PM by sirpercival »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:52:59 AM »

Sacred Treasure Sword reference chart

(click to show/hide)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 07:54:06 AM »
Reserved for rules clarifications/FAQ.  You may post!

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: AD HOCC presents contest #1: The Plain Scholar [CONTEST THREAD]
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 12:37:26 PM »
Just to make sure, Oriental Adventures is allowed right?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 12:54:41 PM »
Yes, as updated to 3.5  :)

And I'll edit to fix the profession/knowledge check thing.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 01:28:32 AM »
Awesome.

Comments:
1)  I will be submitting a build.  How fun! :)
2)  Can someone take away my moderator status in this thread?  As I am not a judge, I don't want the ability to change people's posts!
3)  I have a few rules questions ... is the right way to do this to PM all the judges?

Thanks,
David

P.S.  Someone should cross-post to min-max 3.5

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 08:31:52 AM »
Well, are they questions about the rules of the contest that anyone else might want to know the answers to?  Or are they D&D3.5 rules questions that you would otherwise post on the Ask a Question board and don't want to give away?

I can't do the mod thing... I'd PM veekie or Prime to see if it can be done on a thread-by-thread basis.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 01:42:23 PM »
I can't do the mod thing... I'd PM veekie or Prime to see if it can be done on a thread-by-thread basis.
It can't. But I suppose, does the entire committee need to be mods anyway?
Anyway, I can remove DavidWL from the list for now, and put him back afterwards.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 02:55:41 PM »
Sounds good.  And no, they don't, I suppose...

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 01:37:31 AM »
Well, are they questions about the rules of the contest that anyone else might want to know the answers to?  Or are they D&D3.5 rules questions that you would otherwise post on the Ask a Question board and don't want to give away?

Hmm.  It's a little bit of both. 

For example, if I ask "How will feat XYZ work with feature ABC", then it is a rules question, but it also makes everyone say ... hmm ... David's interested in combining those too ... hmm...

I'd prefer that we all ask us your questions, then mid way in, a clarification of rules is given, updating for all to see how things work in as generic a way as possible.

Best,
David

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 01:37:56 AM »
It can't. But I suppose, does the entire committee need to be mods anyway?
Anyway, I can remove DavidWL from the list for now, and put him back afterwards.

Thank Prime!

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »
Just curious, how many people are actually involved in this?  Since we're having people PM finished builds to the judges instead of posting, we have no way of gauging interest...

We're halfway through, anyway.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 01:58:18 AM »
Just curious, how many people are actually involved in this?  Since we're having people PM finished builds to the judges instead of posting, we have no way of gauging interest...

We're halfway through, anyway.

I am 2/3rds done with a build, and, obviously, I'm involved :)

I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Best,
David

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 01:07:52 PM »
PM of build sent.

Best
David

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 01:41:52 PM »
Everyone, the contest closes tonight.  I've gotten two builds so far... is anyone else entering?

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
I only have DavidWL's build so if two have been submitted I am missing one.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 02:24:55 PM »
I also have oslecamo's.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 03:04:15 PM »
So... we have two entries?  What do we do, extend & advertise, or just judge it?