Author Topic: OOC Thread  (Read 90829 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
Trying to get him to play a ninja turtle?   :lol
It's what I tried to get someone else to do in the PbP area, I was just a little less subtle this time. :D

We're following different gods, though. Pretty certain I was a soldier first, paladin second, too. :p
Hmmm... What about Barrin Von Teferi, you could have been an orphaned kitchen rat that played sticks with him. You became a solider in the house guard to learn how to fight so you could revenge your parents and along the way you got patroned into paladinhood, took your vows, and are now on your first mission to polity answer Yovir's request as a small token of mutual aid. Teferi is also headed to Phlan for "contracts & stuff", you suspect it's to fulfill his desire to be seen as a hero since you never heard about his plans to leave until he heard about the ghost pirates, and now playing sticks has taken a much more deadly turn.

And it's that I have no clue what the overall numbers breakdown of 5e actually is,
Enough that they consider +2 to a roll to be a lot and +5 is your basic cap. Also mechanically everything is supposed to pass through HP with higher leveled opponents simply dealing more damage, plus 5th thinks everyone should walk into melee. Like there are no AoOs or Spell loss for a Wizard casting a spell in combat, and over half the schools offer direct combat bonuses. Hell even Illusion gives you a version of mirror image using your reaction as a class feature.

Chillax some, said Warlock gets medium armor and can use a Greatsword next level on top of Spells and being able to pewpew opponents to death. Barbarians didn't even got that much in 3rd.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:49:03 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »
I'm not too fussed about where I was a soldier. Though one that saw actual combat against undead and got saved by... probably a priest of some sort, oddly. Then the segue into a paladin. :lmao

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »
My sheet should be ready now that I have a weightless stone block as my mysterious trinket of plot.

And Os and I seem to be playing team gung ho.

"You're out of control, I'm taking you out of this crusade! Hand over your holy symbol and sword!"

Sooo, how about combined backstory? We graduated together from paladin academy but then you joined the army and I the navy, still end up meeting and working together from time to time, including now.

We're following different gods, though. Pretty certain I was a soldier first, paladin second, too. :p

Okie so we started as navy vs army rivals then both decided to become paladins, but even then followed different gods.

Or if you don't mind I can follow your good too and then we can argue about which one has the correct interpretation of their teachings. :P

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2017, 11:01:23 AM »
What gods are people worshipping? We have a pretty religious party.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2017, 11:03:10 AM »

Kelemvor. :D

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2017, 11:58:35 AM »
Hmmm...
I'm not too fussed about where I was a soldier. Though one that saw actual combat against undead and got saved by... probably a priest of some sort, oddly. Then the segue into a paladin. :lmao
Okie so we started as navy vs army rivals then both decided to become paladins, but even then followed different gods. Or if you don't mind I can follow your good too and then we can argue about which one has the correct interpretation of their teachings. :P
One day while playing Teferi & Magiries double dared each other to explore the underground crypt, climbed the wrong thing and caused a wall to cave in hiding a secret passage. Inside something was less dead than it should of been. But luckily the sound attracted a cleric of Torm and they came down to investigate saving the two kids.

Said Cleric would eventually take Enar as his pupil while Magiries never really liked the idea of Torm's cult suicide tactic during the Time of Troubles and turned to Kelemvor whom is more down to Earth so to speak. The two of them would become "friendly" rivals, also since Magiries is part of the same church, Enar is the token of mutual aid (and determined not to let Magiries surpass her).

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2017, 12:01:12 PM »
Sharindlar, Dwarven Goddess of Healing and Mercy. Also has temples that frequently host parties and they have back rooms for lovers to be "together" in private. I will not be making dirty jokes about this...

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2017, 12:09:32 PM »
Yeah, I don't think I'm a fan of that backstory. I'd rather not be tied up in everyone else's histories when it makes it hard to explain why she's so fanatically opposed to the undead (which is most of the reason for Kelemvor, seeing as he also hates them).

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2017, 12:14:55 PM »
You hate them because they're icky and gross of course!   :lmao

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
So it looks like we're waiting for final backstories and then everyone is done?  Let me know if there's any information that I can provide to help.

Edit: This includes historical information about the area related to the adventure.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2017, 04:52:56 PM »
I'd rather not be tied up in everyone else's histories when it makes it hard to explain why she's so fanatically opposed to the undead
Hard? Dude, six words: "Magiries thinks undead killed her parents"

Added bonus, it explains why Magiries was so keen on playing in the crypts in the first place and even adds to the choice in deities without having to dip into Torm's bad ideas. Besides, Magiries is level one which means she don't get any cool stories anyway. The entire point of a level one game is that your character is just now starting out. Like most farmers have more levels in Commoner than you have in Paladin (or w/e 5th's deal is). If you already killed a horde of undead, you probably wouldn't be level one and you most certainly wouldn't have 0XP.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
The thing is, the whole point of backgrounds is that you've done something--in the case of being a soldier (or a folk hero, or some veins of Outlander) then you have seen combat. And in this case, "just part of some infantry group which had to fight undead"--which is obviously something pre-level 1 NPC's would never be expected to handle--is perfectly within the scope of things. As is getting your ass saved by some priest or other but not before most of the others were dead...

Then becoming a paladin.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2017, 05:55:25 PM »
Given the list of available backgrounds, backgrounds can indeed involve having actual combat experience.

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2017, 10:28:16 PM »
Ah, well, if we are writing backstories.

Aval was born the third son of a middle-ranking aristocrat (a count, maybe), and his older siblings proved up to the challenge of inheritance. Showing a intellectual bent, he was sent off to university to learn useful skills, and set about lazing about, stealing, hanging out with thieves and dabbling in the arcane arts. Eventually he was expelled, and took to wandering around looking for something interesting to do. Like, delving, perhaps?

That seems like enough to me.

Edit: Trinkets sound nice. Can I make one up? Like, say, a page with half of a ritual on it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:31:22 PM by Archon »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2017, 10:43:49 PM »
Sure, that trinket sounds fine.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2017, 08:11:36 AM »
The thing is, the whole point of backgrounds is that you've done something
Yep, something that doesn't matter. Like if you were a mercenary for ten years your collective experance comes out to a +10% chance at winning a game of dice over a kid. Woot!

As the headers brings up when talking about wealth, selecting backgrounds and traits, they need to conform. Matching not only in flavor but mechanics. And mechanically we're all noobs to our respective areas.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2017, 08:33:29 AM »
Noble (knight) background gives you a squire that is serving in return for you training them. That's pro status, noobs want to learn your skillz.

Sailor means you know how to run anything that floats up to a warship on top of having made so many friends and contacts they just let you ride for free in return for you giving a hand in the work. It's also a clear sign of promanship.

And don't forget the pirate variant:
No matter where you go, people are afraid of you due to
your reputation. When you are in a civilized settlement, you
can get away with minor criminal offenses, such as refusing
to pay for food at a tavern or breaking down doors at a local
shop, since most people will not report your activity to the
authorities.

That's right, you can start the game as somebody so badass that peasants and merchants don't even dare to report you to the local cops! You've already done some serious shit and your name and face are well known across every civilized land!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:36:13 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2017, 09:54:39 AM »
The thing is, the whole point of backgrounds is that you've done something
Yep, something that doesn't matter. Like if you were a mercenary for ten years your collective experance comes out to a +10% chance at winning a game of dice over a kid. Woot!

As the headers brings up when talking about wealth, selecting backgrounds and traits, they need to conform. Matching not only in flavor but mechanics. And mechanically we're all noobs to our respective areas.

Mechanically, I'm certainly a noob paladin, but compared to the 11,10,11,10,10,10 statline with no proficiency at anything I could very well have had before becoming a soldier, there was certainly room to have spent several years learning the basics before the career shift. Not like I had to go around in a world-conquering force. :P

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »
And don't forget the pirate variant:
You mean the one where you are so well known city guards would arrest you on sight and even a common mercenary would consider gutting you for a reward?

Yeah, some of the features are pretty hit or miss. Mostly up to the DM handle, or forget about, but some of them could be pretty cool.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2017, 01:48:02 PM »
*Poke*

Anyone else fail their Fort Save vs being lethargic?