Author Topic: Spin-off OOC  (Read 94459 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Spin-off OOC
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2013, 06:36:14 AM »
I would someone to love to explain me why people keep asking "game group has members in which each one of them has a specific set of abilities inside a theme, can I use this class that puts all of the group's abilities in just one character at the same time and then some?"

Anyway, scaleshaper wasn't aproved, and neither is morphling since the alternate form part is just screaming to be abused, in particular with the feats further boosting it up.

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2013, 06:46:05 AM »
For my part it was scaleshaper (my garbled memory was that it was approved once the Dragon summoning ability got capped only the person intending to play it decided not to) plus not reading Morphling all that carefully before posting about it here.

So sorry about that.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »
I would someone to love to explain me why people keep asking "game group has members in which each one of them has a specific set of abilities inside a theme, can I use this class that puts all of the group's abilities in just one character at the same time and then some?"

I think that has something to do with my long-standing argument that some people actually try to Win and Dungeons and Dragons.

Apologies for taking so long to post anything at all in this. My Picori, if still cool with you, is just about 90% complete (minus spell selection and such)

I have reposted it here under spoiler for convenience:

(click to show/hide)
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2013, 06:36:24 AM »
I think that has something to do with my long-standing argument that some people actually try to Win and Dungeons and Dragons.

The designer of both the pieces of homebrew in question is sirpercival, so you can judge for yourself if he's a win D&D type. I'd say far from it. In fact, while such people exist, I haven't met one on this board yet.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2013, 08:53:47 AM »

The designer of both the pieces of homebrew in question is sirpercival, so you can judge for yourself if he's a win D&D type. I'd say far from it. In fact, while such people exist, I haven't met one on this board yet.

... One poster has actually started three different topics on the subject. The first one was after having tried to bring a character into a PbP that made the entire rest of the play-group irrelevant. The topic was about not wanting to play anything other than the best, because doing otherwise felt like it was playing the game wrong. That topic concluded with the assertion that the person had reformed. Then the other two topics were very clear ploys to justify the mentality that was supposedly abandoned.

So, no. There is one poster here who is very adamant in the belief that D&D can be "won", and that there is reasoning to proving yourself "the best". And this person must be forced to play cooperatively.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »
I didn't really take Endarire that way. He talked about being "the best" but he seemed to be less interested with "winning" as in beating the DM and/or the other players than with optimization as an end goal in itself.

Also, this post was basically about how he agrees that seeing D&D as a competition doesn't work in the standard party dynamic.

As to his "reform," you would know better than I whether he's still trying to win in the Heroes Reborn game since you're in the same party.

To get back on topic a bit: What is religion like in Elibe? I've been reading the FE wiki but it's mostly game stats and story synopsis stuff, not much world fluff. There are units called priests and clerics and suchlike and there's the "divine dragons," of whom Naga seems to be actively worshipped by some people at least.

What I'm wondering is how to represent that in D&D terms. Could you be a cleric of Naga? Or another divine dragon? Or something else? What domains would be appropriate for a divine dragon worshipper? Are there other "gods" in the setting I haven't come across?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2013, 06:52:24 PM »
Gods are almost unheard of in Elibe. Indeed at best you may see some people worshiping a nice powerful local dragon, of which Naga would be the greatest in known history.

Priests/clerics/bishops are more usually connected to a country/organization. They focus more on healing and helping their people than exactly preaching a message. So I guess the correct domains for an Elibe cleric would be any suportive ones. Fire Emblem clerics usually can't use offensive magic at all before promotion, but they can use a variety of staffs with utility powers, so there's that as well.

Which reminds me, I really have to get to finishing playing Shadow Dragon. :p

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2013, 08:15:50 PM »
So the standard Eliban "Cleric" or "Priest" unit would be a cleric (probably a cloistered cleric since my sense is that they don't really wear armor) of a cause, with that cause being roughly "support of my organization and people"?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2013, 05:02:16 PM »
Yes. Actually among fire emblem units, clerics/priests usually have the lowest defense stat in average, even lower than mages. But their resistance (stat used to defend against magic attacks, that ignore defense) is trough the roof, which I guess is already well represented by good will save+wis main stat.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2013, 04:50:04 PM »
Few questions about pure crafting in Elibe:

If I were to build a character using pure crafting, would they be able to craft pre game or would they need to buy their pure metal gear? If the latter, any thoughts on how difficult that would be, how to go about it?

If said character was a fighter would it need to be an SRD fighter or would fighter fixes (SirP's Quick Fix Fighter, for example) be allowed?

Does using pure metal items prevent a character from using any magic items or just spell trigger/ spell completion/ SLAs and such?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2013, 06:28:19 PM »
If you take the feat and ranks yourself, you can craft pre-game no problem.

However the other feats are meant to be used with a base srd fighter, so if you go with fix #3892, you can't pick double/triple/quad alloy.

You can still use magic items if they don't have spell trigger/completion.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2013, 01:32:58 AM »
How about the Saint class's purity ability? The one the makes all Saint abilities ex and makes you immune to magic. Does it make you immune to beneficial magic items?

If so, how does that interact with magic items that are tools? Does it prevent you from retrieving items from a handy haversack, for example?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2013, 08:30:36 AM »
Yes, a saint with purity cannot benefit from magic items, including being unable to retrieve items from an handy haversack.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2013, 10:36:22 PM »
Would the feat Strategic Provocation be allowed?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2013, 04:49:22 PM »
Yes, but skill checks and DCs are all replaced by Will saves with DC 10+1/2 Ranks in Intimidate+Cha mod.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2013, 08:48:33 AM »
Hmm, so, you mentioned there's a spot?

Mess-of-Stuff 5/Paragon 1/Saint 2 acceptable? As for Pure Crafting (because Purity and Innocence), is that full-cost (AKA, pay for its value) or do I pay for it as if crafted manually?

And is there a list of altered rules neatly compiled somewhere? XD
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:50:11 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2013, 08:51:12 AM »
Yes, build stub is ok.

If you pick the feat, you can pay just the crafting cost.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2013, 08:52:38 AM »
Right.

Shall start work on this after finishing for the Phantasy Star one.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2013, 03:59:58 PM »
Speaking of this thread. I finally posted the Hyrulian Warrior Class over in homebrew, still working on Melds. No clue on an ETA.

I can offer a cool excuse for this weekend through. I'm sick and fatigued, so I'm pulling 12 hour shifts to help cover someone who thinks they are sick as well. Friggin pansy.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2013, 06:55:23 AM »
Hm. Are saves and BAB fractional?