Author Topic: Pretty Soldier  (Read 5411 times)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Pretty Soldier
« on: February 15, 2019, 03:24:57 AM »
Pretty Soldier

"Unforgivable! A Sailor-suited Pretty Soldier of Love and Justice: Sailor Moon! In the name of the moon, I will punish you!"
-Usagi Tsukino, Pretty Soldier

Pretty Soldiers are those that learned to channel the power of love and justice in mighty magic blasts with a variety of effects.

(click to show/hide)

Class Skills
The Pretty Soldier’s class skills are Balance, Bluff, Craft(any), Concentration, Climb, Disguise, Diplomacy, Jump, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Apraise, Intimidate, Knowledge(any), Profession (Any), Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Swim, Tumble
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + int)x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: x4+ int

Hit Dice:d8

Level
Base
Attack Bonus
Fort
Save
Ref
Save
Will
Save

Special
1st+0+0+2+2Dual Persona, Pretty Skills, Wonderful Wand, Beautiful Blast, Sweet Shot
2nd+1+0+3+3Sugary Soul
3rd+2+1+3+3Sweet Shot
4th+3+1+4+4Sugary Soul
5th+3+1+4+4Sweet Shot
6th+4+2+5+5Sugary Soul
7th+5+2+5+5Sweet Shot
8th+6/+1+2+6+6Sugary Soul
9th+6/+1+3+6+6Sweet Shot
10th+7/+2+3+7+7Sugary Soul
11th+8/+3+3+7+7Sweet Shot
12th+9/+4+4+8+8Sugary Soul
13th+9/+4+4+8+8Sweet Shot
14th+10/+5+4+9+9Sugary Soul
15th+11/+6/+1+5+9+9Sweet Shot
16th+12/+7/+2+5+10+10Sugary Soul
17th+12/+7/+2/+5+10+10Sweet Shot
18th+13/+8/+3+6+11+11Sugary Soul
19th+14/+9/+4+6+11+11Sweet Shot
20th+15/+10/+5+6+12+12Pretty Champion
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Simple weapons, Light Armor

Dual Persona (Su): A Pretty Soldier must always look joyful, cute and inspiring in public, but sometimes they just want to relax and hang around so a second identity comes in handy. As a swift action the Pretty Soldier may jump behind some nearby convenient cover and transform her clothing and/or body in cosmetic ways then step back where they were. Even if she doesn’t change her body and leaves her face exposed, somehow nobody seems to regognize her, and everybody will think the “other” person just ran away while the Pretty Soldier arrived in the nick of time. Specific details are left to the player, but either way the effects are the same, nobody can tell the Pretty Soldier and other person are the same short of divination magic such as a True Seeing effect. The pretty soldier only has one other identity to hide behind, and the transformation details must be the same each time this is used.

Pretty Skills (Ex): Even when one has magic powers, mundane hobbies are nice to do. The Pretty Soldier automatically gains free full ranks at each level for one Knowledge, Perform and Craft skills of their choice plus Tumble. In addition while wearing only light or no armor and no shields, the Pretty Soldier gains Weapon Finesse for free even if she doesn’t meet the prerequisites and adds her Cha mod to Climb, Jump and Tumble checks.

Wonderful Wand (Su): The Pretty Soldier has a magic stick with a cute head that helps channel her magic abilities and doubles nicely as a blunt implemenet in a pinch. It counts as a masterwork melee weapon dealing 1d12 bludgeoning damage in the hands of the Pretty Soldier, counting as magic and light when beneficial and still be wielded with both hands, plus has a +20 bonus against disarm checks, but only on the hands of the Pretty Soldier, anybody else will treat it as an improvised weapon. In alternative the Pretty Soldier may, at either start or level up, swap her wonderful wand for one masterwork version of a melee weapon she's proficient with, either way they gain the following benefits. It can be transformed into a tiny seemingly common trinket as a pendant or toy or back as a swift action or part of Dual Persona. If somehow lost/destroyed the Pretty Soldier can reform it in her hands as a move action. At 2nd Pretty Soldier level and every 2 Pretty Soldier levels thereafter it gains a +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls. It cannot gain a bonus to attack and damage rolls higher than +5, but extra bonus may be spent on special abilities such as Keen and Holy of equivalent value, and changed at each level up.

Beautiful Blast (Su): As a standard action that causes attacks of opportunity, by striking an elaborate pose and saying a short speech, the Pretty Soldier can unleash a colourful shot from her Wonderful Wand that hits as a ranged touch attack with a range of 10 feet plus 20 feet per Pretty Soldier level dealing 1d6 damage per Pretty Soldier level. Spell Resistance can stop Beautiful Blast, use your Pretty Soldier level as CL. Add any Wonderful Wand’s magic enhancements to the Beautiful Blast as well, each basic +1 to attack/damage also applies for SR penetration. The damage is either fire, acid, cold, electricity, positive energy or negative energy, or in alternative untyped damage but in that case the damage is reduced to 1d4 per Pretty Soldier level. Either way once this choice is made it can only be changed at level up. Beautiful Blast demands to wave the Wonderful Wand around and shout magic words, so any effects that would disrupt those also disrupt Beautiful Blast.

Sweet Shot (Su): At 1st level the Pretty Soldier can pick one of the following effects to add to her Beautiful Blast before making her attack rolls. At 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 17th and 19th level she can choose another effect to have add to her Beautiful Blast. The specific choice(s) can be changed with 1d12 hours of meditation, but you must always pick at least one from each lower tier before picking from your highest tier. Once a Sweet Shot is used, the Pretty Soldier must wait 1d2 rounds before being able to use it again. The Pretty Soldier can combine multiple Sweet Shots in a single Beautiful Blast, but then they all share the same cooldown and it is increased by 1 for each extra Sweet Shot. So for example if a 10th level Pretty Soldier combines 3 Sweet Shots, she would need to wait 1d2+3 rounds before being able to use either again. Any save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod, including for any replicated spells/maneuvers.

(click to show/hide)

Sugary Soul (Su): Starting at 2nd level the Pretty Soldier can pick one of the following effects to add to herself all the time. At 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 18th and 20th level she can choose another option to benefit from. The specific choice(s) can be changed with 1d12 hours of meditation, but you must always pick at least one from each lower tier before picking from your highest tier. Any spells have CL=Pretty Soldier level that cannot be dispelled. The Pretty Soldier may also end  any one of them herself as a swift or move action, and restart them as another swift or move action. Any Stances/maneuvers have IL=Pretty Soldier level and can use Charisma instead of the original school’s ability score. All “any one” options can only change the specific maneuver/spells when choosing new Sugary Soul picks.

(click to show/hide)

Pretty Champion (Su): At 20th level the Pretty Soldier is truly a paragon of her kind, able to channel the powers of love and justice to even greater heights. At the start of each turn she can either gain +6 Cha or gain one Sweet Shot or Sugary Soul of her choice, either way the picks last until the start of her next turn.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 08:26:41 PM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Pretty Soldier
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 03:25:19 AM »
Reserved just in case.

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 05:52:33 AM »

Class Skills
The Arcana Archer’s class skills are Balance, Bluff, Craft(any), Concentration, Climb, Disguise, Diplomacy, Jump, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Apraise, Intimidate, Knowledge(any), Profession (Any), Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Swim, Tumble

Copy, paste typo.
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 08:10:23 AM »
Magic Blast Zero - It still does Beautiful Blast damage, right? Slightly worried about the amount of damage this can do if so.
Sparkly Blast - Says "Sonic Blast"
Stunning Blast - Duration of your choice? Whoa.

As a minor point, maybe have non wand options for a weapon?
I guess I should have expected the Sailor Moon pic lol.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 08:48:36 AM »

Class Skills
The Arcana Archer’s class skills are Balance, Bluff, Craft(any), Concentration, Climb, Disguise, Diplomacy, Jump, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Apraise, Intimidate, Knowledge(any), Profession (Any), Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Swim, Tumble

Copy, paste typo.

Ups, fixed. Thanks!

Magic Blast Zero - It still does Beautiful Blast damage, right? Slightly worried about the amount of damage this can do if so.
Sparkly Blast - Says "Sonic Blast"
Stunning Blast - Duration of your choice? Whoa.

As a minor point, maybe have non wand options for a weapon?
I guess I should have expected the Sailor Moon pic lol.
-Ah, I knew I had forgot something. Deals half Beautiful Blast damage now.
-Done.
-Heh, it's in a relatively high tier when you could pick paralyzis or daze earlier or even petrification on the same tier, so needed something spiffy.

Also added option for swapping wonderful wand for a more conventional weapon.

And yeah Sailor Moon was my first magical girl anime so althugh CCS is my favorite of the genre, I still think of Usagi as the generic one. :p

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 01:45:40 PM »
Oh yea Sweet Shot is shown at first level on chart, but doesn't say so in the actual ability description.

And I guess yea, since Petrification is on the same tier the Stunning thing is fine.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 03:19:21 AM »
Well it says it gains the other picks at 3rd, 5th, etc, but added that it starts at 1st just to clarify.

Offline RedWarlock

• Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 03:00:58 AM »
Any chance we could get a different name for either Sweet Soul or Sweet Shot? They blur together on the table, since they're the same character length.
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 05:38:36 AM »
I'm open to that idea but can't really think of anything right now. Suggestions anybody?

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 02:29:59 PM »
Suggestions for synonyms:
- gentle
- pleasant
- saccharine
- sugary
- tender

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 12:46:35 AM »
Ok, Sweet Soul renamed to Sugary Soul.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 10:35:54 AM »
Do special ability enhancement count for the Beautiful Blast?

What about a neutral energy type that deals damage one die down?

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 07:33:13 PM »
Do special ability enhancement count for the Beautiful Blast?
Yes, it already said " Add any Wonderful Wand’s magic enhancements to the Beautiful Blast as well".

What about a neutral energy type that deals damage one die down?
Done for 1d4 per level. Also fixed some typos.

Offline Sweetiebot

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 09:29:06 AM »
Do we have to be good to use this, or can we be warriors of injustice and malice instead of love and justice?

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 04:33:27 AM »
Sure you can go any alignment, and some would claim that "Justice"'s just a word and love can get pretty nasty too.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 05:40:19 PM »
Sweet Shot lvl 5+:
Enfeebling Blast-Any target hit by your beautiful Blast suffers a Ray of Enfeeblement unless they succeed on a Fort save and Feeblemind unless they succeed on a Will save, otherwise both as the spells with CL=HD.
Feeblemind alone is a terrifying spell that would normally only come online around lvl9 and is extremely costly to deal with around lvl5. On top of a Ray of Enfeeblement rider and the basic damage of the blast ability. And it can spammed every 1d2 rounds.

This one is far, far out of whack for that level it is available at.
My guess is that you forgot the "only for 1 round" clause that is typical for other spell-emulating Sweet Shot effects?

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 12:37:49 AM »
Int and Cha are pretty common dump stats unless you have a class that directly cares about those.

And Feeblemind it's way too high level at 5th spell level.  Let's be honest, what was the last time you saw any arcane caster prepare feeblemind when they could be having teleport? Or an arcane caster that isn't a wizard even bothering to learn feeblemind in the first place? If you want to screw enemy arcane casters, throw them an Evard's Black Tentacles. Which is an area effect. And ignores SR. And targets  grapple which is probably be quite low instead of Will save which everybody that cares about Int/Cha will have it as a good save. And is a 4th level spell.

So yes, comparing Black Tentacles against Feeblemind, Feeblemind spell is way too high coming online at 9th level, it should be coming at 5th latest because it will be completely obsolete by 7th level. Really, you claim to be terrified of Feeblemind at 9th level, then you would die of an heart attack just glimpsing Black Tentacles two levels earlier.

Plus remember that by 5th level the Pretty Soldier knows a whole three Sweet Shots. Count them, one, two, three. So they better be pulling their weight, and if I reduce it to 1 round, then Enfeebling Blast becomes completely worthless compared to the other blasts of the same level, like Dazing Blast  that completely disables the target for that one round even if they aren't an arcane caster.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »
Feeblemind might not be as great for use by PCs against monsters (who are meant to die long before the long duration of the debuff can matter), but for use by monsters against PCs it is scary stuff due to the difficulty of getting rid of it. It takes at least a level 6 spell to ever undo Feeblemind, which will eat heavily into the WBL of low-level characters, if they have even that much fun money laying around.

If you want a mental stats debuff, Touch of Idiocy would be much more level-appropriate.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 11:57:15 AM by Skyrock »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 07:34:23 PM »
Feeblemind might not be as great for use by PCs against monsters (who are meant to die long before the long duration of the debuff can matter), but for use by monsters against PCs it is scary stuff due to the difficulty of getting rid of it. It takes at least a level 6 spell to ever undo Feeblemind, which will eat heavily into the WBL of low-level characters, if they have even that much fun money laying around.

Wights and Shadows are CR 3, and it'll take at least a level 7 spell to ever undo they turning a PC to one of them.

Barghests are CR 4, and it'll take at least a level 9 spell to ever undo their feeding on a PC. If you're lucky.

A random CR 1/2 orc warrior crits a low level PC with a greataxe, you'll need at least a level 5 spell to get them back up.

There's no lack of nasty effects that a DM can inflict on a low level party, and even basic ressurection is pretty expensive. If they're willing to build and throw a Pretty Soldier with Enfeebling Blast, there's a lot worst stuff they could be throwing right there in the basic monster manual.

If you want a mental stats debuff, Touch of Idiocy would be much more level-appropriate.

How exactly is "-3.5 penalty on average on scores that most enemies don't care about" would be "appropriate" compared to dazed/slowed?

Enfeebling Blast needs to be as good as the other Sweet Shots of the same level. "Casters takes a tiny penalty to spells DCs (which they may not care because lots of spells don't offer DCs in the first place) and will saves and everybody else takes a tiny penalty to Will saves in which case you're better off picking Haunting blast" isn't level-appropriate.

So instead, replaced by a custom effect with scaling a la Ray of Enfeeblement. And the "lasts 1 round even if they save" clause so it actually remains level-appropriate with the other sweet shots.

EDIT: Also added new Meta Blast feat.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 08:23:03 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 11:48:17 AM »
Enfeebling Blast is much better balanced now.