Author Topic: The Paladin Problem: how do you interpret the Code?  (Read 22251 times)

Offline kurashu

• Tinker Mechanic Programmer Player
    • View Profile
Re: The Paladin Problem: how do you interpret the Code?
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2012, 02:00:11 PM »
I'm with everyone that allows paladins to be any alignment and follow any god and therefore have any combinations of a code of conduct. I also enforce the same on my clerics, crusaders and favored souls. Druids and spirit shamans -- if any are ever rolled up -- would get a similar treatment. I'd probably do the same to warlocks depending on where they derived their powers from.

However, the only paladin character I've had was a Warforged paladin of Gond. It made so much sense I never saw it and allowed it instantly despite not even using any FR deities. His principles were basically to spread innovation and creativity; to never destroy technology if possible; to help the less fortunate if possible. And probably a few others. He picked up materials every where he went, poured ranks into Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering) (which I granted as a class skill, because duh).

The one crusader I had was an elf beheld to the Moon goddess and raised by dwarves in the way of the stone dragon. Basically his code of conduct was to be manly at all times and never show cowardice, always show chivalry, and to destroy any threats to the Stone Dragon, Moon or himself.

One cleric was of Garl Glittergold. He was encouraged to lie, cheat, steal and be mischievous in the most honorable way he could and to never harm his friends and family beyond simple pranks (which never happened :()

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2012, 08:30:09 PM »
Whenever I DM and a player expresses any interest at all in paladins, or even just a warrior-priest type, I always make sure to direct them to Dragon magazine 310 (312 if he's looking for evil stuff), and show him the alternate paladins for the other 8 alignments.  From there, we work together to establish exactly how the code works for whichever alignment he goes with.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline docmartin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2012, 01:46:03 PM »
As with some of the other posters in this thread, I develop Paladin codes based upon the deity (or Ideal) the player has chosen. Some are easy, some not so much. However, there is one thing that always remains constant. If you're a Lawful Good Paladin, Good > Law. If you're Chaotic Evil, Evil > Chaos, and so on and so forth. The Moral point is more important (In my opinion) to a Paladin than the Ethical point. The Moral point indicates your intentions. The Ethical point indicates how you achieve those goals (unless you're caught in a catch 22 situation, in which case Moral trumps Ethical).

An example of a Paladin code I've developed (and is a very common deity among my players), is the code of the Paladin of Ilmater.

1) A Paladin of Ilmater strives to be a paragon of Compassion. If the pain of others can be taken upon yourself, you are expected to do so, unless such aid would serve the cause of Evil and Suffering.

2) A Paladin of Ilmater is a beacon of Mercy. You must ask a defeated creature (Defined as a creature who surrenders, or has otherwise been rendered helpless/harmless) to give you an oath of surrender or noninterference in exchange for its life. If the creature breaks this oath to you, you can deal with the creature as you see fit without breaking your oath. This oath does not apply to irredeemable creatures (creatures that are mindless, undead,  have the evil subtype and are evil themselves, or are otherwise marked by the Wrath of Ilmater; see below). This does not mean that you must deal non-lethal damage in combat (and creatures that you kill in combat do not cause you to fall), but it does require you to accept the surrender of any redeemable creature who gives it (Unless they are marked by the Wrath of Ilmater).

3) Those who have not been tainted by the touch of evil are to be protected from such corruption at all cost. Specifically, you are bound by your oath to protect the innocent, and children above all else. The failure to do so does not violate your oath, but a failure to act does.

4) The sick and the weak are likewise your charges, and a failure to protect and/or help them is a slight against Ilmater himself, as well as all Ilmatari (again, if this aid would further the cause of Suffering or Evil, then you are not required to render aid).

5) A Paladin of Ilmater is the Bane to any agent of Loviatar. A failure to act to stop an agent of Loviatar from bringing more pain into the world causes a Paladin of Ilmater to fall.

The Wrath of Ilmater: This is a special clause in your Paladin Oath. A creature marked with the Wrath of Ilmater is detectable by your "Detect Evil" ability, regardless of their actual alignment. They detect differently, and thus a Paladin may discern whether or not a creature of any alignment has been Marked. The Mark is a special brand that Ilmater places upon creatures who prey upon children. This mark is only placed upon child-murderers (not accidental death, but intentional), and paedophiles. If a Paladin of Ilmater learns that a creature has been marked, then he is bound by his oath to expose and judge these creatures accordingly. The only Judgement fit, in the eyes of the Martyred One, is Death. A failure to do so does not cause you to fall, but a failure to act does.

Special Note on the Mark: It is up to the DM as to whether or not a creature who has undergone an abortion procedure will receive the mark. In my games, I do not apply it in most circumstances (However, exceptions can be made). In my experience, it is best to simply not approach the subject, as it usually leads to OOC arguments.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:55:42 PM by docmartin »

Offline weenog

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2012, 07:55:09 AM »
What is with everyone and their "sex is bad" mentality?
  Sex is good.  It's a lot of fun, and it's a biological imperative.  It is consequently a very powerful motivator... potentially a distraction, and a tool of temptation.  This doesn't make sex bad, but it makes sex a dire threat to any organization or higher power who insists that the agenda of the controlling entity be placed above all other concerns.  Little wonder then that they have such a problem with it.  It terrifies them.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:03:01 AM by weenog »
"Whoops, forgot to roll my fire and holy damage."
"I doubt she's going to make a DC 111 Fort save, anyway."

Offline dipolartech

• Handy Haversack anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2012, 09:13:36 AM »
Nicely spoken weenog, I think that is one of the most quick and clean descriptions for that issue ever.

Offline midnight_v

• It is good and fitting to die for the dice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 06:39:44 AM »
Nicely spoken weenog, I think that is one of the most quick and clean descriptions for that issue ever.
+1 and some kudos weenog
"Disentegrate...gust of wind. Can we please get back to saving the world now?"