Author Topic: Necromancer build optimisation  (Read 4494 times)

Offline RealMarkP

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Necromancer build optimisation
« on: December 01, 2017, 11:15:32 PM »
First time in 5e, thinking about rolling a necro wizard build in a low-magic item campaign. I'm not sure what to choose in terms of feats, spells, etc. Are there optimised builds for wizards? Recommended spell and feat lists?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer build optimisation
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 03:21:10 PM »
There are other ways to go about Necro than just Wiz,
but Wiz is certainly fine as is.  Most Wiz builds can go
+Int at 4 , +Int at 8 , Resilient Con at 12 , ~Alert at 16
and be perfectly fine and playable the whole time.
Toll The Bell is the newest necro cantrip, and it works.
Get a familiar, Shocking Grasp, Frostburn, Sleep, Shield.
Animate Dead is the skeleton army spell, which needs
a confab with your DM about how small to gonzo
you / y'all want to go with it.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer build optimisation
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 04:47:32 PM »
As mentioned in the Xanathar thread, once you hit lv14 or so you cannot lose Max HP allowing you to buff Create Homunculus with extra HP for free which is pretty nice.

But I'm not sure what you want to focus on through Multiclass options can very but if your party is up for things you could try to get one of them to play as an Oathbreak Paladin (dmg villain option). Since a Necomancer's Thall of Undead works with any Necro Spell you can animate up to thirteen zombies for a bit. They also gain your Wizard Level in extra HP, your Intelligence Modifier to Attack/Damage, your Proficiency Bonus to Damage, and your Paladin's Charisma Modifier to Damage. Plus the Paladin can snag control of some of your released Thrall-buffed Gouls from Create Undead using his Channel Divinity too. And then see if you can talk someone else into a Circle of Shepard Druid for healing, Mighty Summons, and Animal Shapes just to see how silly you can make the game.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:01:13 PM by SorO_Lost »