Author Topic: X Stat to Y Bonus Discussion Thread  (Read 119327 times)

Offline Mithril Leaf

• View Profile
Re: X Stat to Y Bonus Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2012, 04:01:22 PM »
I'm including no third-party material.  I'm on the fence about unupdated 3.0.

I'll get Dread Tyranny in when I get home from work.   :)

What's your feeling on 2nd party stuff like Dragonlance stuff beyond the Campaign Setting?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2012, 05:30:57 PM »
I'm including no third-party material.  I'm on the fence about unupdated 3.0.

I'll get Dread Tyranny in when I get home from work.   :)

What's your feeling on 2nd party stuff like Dragonlance stuff beyond the Campaign Setting?

Hmmm, I'm on the fence about that too.

I just realized I already have some 3.0 stuff in the guide (Savage Species being a prime example).  If it is unupdated I'll put it in. 

For 2nd party I'd like some input from other people.  I don't have anything against Dragonlance, but I don't know just how much might pour in if I open that door because I don't know what else counts as 2nd party.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »
2nd party is officially licensed stuff.  So, for Dragonlance it's stuff like Age of Mortals, Bestiary of Krynn, etc.  You'll also get athas.org, the Spelljammer stuff, planescape stuff, things like that.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2012, 05:44:38 PM »
2nd party is officially licensed stuff.  So, for Dragonlance it's stuff like Age of Mortals, Bestiary of Krynn, etc.  You'll also get athas.org, the Spelljammer stuff, planescape stuff, things like that.

Yeah, but how many books is that?   :P

Offline Mithril Leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2012, 06:01:04 PM »

I'm fairly certain it's the designation for all Dragon and Dungeon Magazine content.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2012, 07:47:29 PM »

I'm fairly certain it's the designation for all Dragon and Dungeon Magazine content.

Even if it is I am not going to add every 2nd party publication.  Athas.org is right out for one, they couldn't even edit properly.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2012, 02:09:38 AM »

Even if it is I am not going to add every 2nd party publication.  Athas.org is right out for one, they couldn't even edit properly.

they are still work in progress. i've done a smidgen of editing for them, so it still has a way to go, despite having released official product.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2012, 12:22:03 PM »

they are still work in progress. i've done a smidgen of editing for them, so it still has a way to go, despite having released official product.

Except that they're never going to work on their 3.5 stuff again, they came out and said so.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2012, 01:43:06 AM »

Except that they're never going to work on their 3.5 stuff again, they came out and said so.

ah, so? link, please?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »

ah, so? link, please?

The closest to officially declaring it I've ever seen is here.  There's also the fact that no updates to it have been posted since October of 2008.

I'm not adding Athas.org material. 

Offline Mithril Leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2012, 12:23:58 PM »

ah, so? link, please?

The closest to officially declaring it I've ever seen is here.  There's also the fact that no updates to it have been posted since October of 2008.

I'm not adding Athas.org material.

How about http://www.planewalker.com/? It's a bit better.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2012, 01:54:37 PM »
That isn't even officially licensed...

How about this, I'll accept all Dragonlance stuff, those are officially licensed printed books.

New Rule: If it isn't in a printed book (or magazine in the case of Dragon) I'm not putting it in here.  I've never seen a game that allows Athas.org material, I have seen games that allow Dragonlance and Dragon material.  If there are other sources that I'm missing that are printed and are also officially licensed, let me know.

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »

How about this, I'll accept all Dragonlance stuff, those are officially licensed printed books.

New Rule: If it isn't in a printed book (or magazine in the case of Dragon) I'm not putting it in here.  I've never seen a game that allows Athas.org material, I have seen games that allow Dragonlance and Dragon material.  If there are other sources that I'm missing that are printed and are also officially licensed, let me know.
What about the Kingdoms of Kalamar line?
They were licenced by Wotc and they are printed.....
Also the Diablo 2 campaign setting which was also published by wotc.....

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »

See, this is why I wanted to avoid second party....

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »

See, this is why I wanted to avoid second party....
Funny things is that the Diablo 2 thing is first Party....
It was written and published by wotc and it even has D&d Supplenent on the cover....

Kingdoms of Calamar has the same legitimacy as Dragonlance......

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2012, 03:09:39 PM »
I'm not adding Diablo 2 or Kingdoms of Kalamar.  I believe that those go beyond the scope of this project.

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2012, 03:13:15 PM »
I'm not adding Diablo 2 or Kingdoms of Kalamar.  I believe that those go beyond the scope of this project.
I hope that you din't misunderstood me....
I never said that you should add them....
I just stated the status of these books......

Honestly I don't think that these books have anything that it is worth to add.....

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »
The status of those books is why I wanted to avoid second party.  I find almost all second party books to be niche and pointless unless playing in that actual campaign setting.

Offline Mithril Leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2012, 12:47:03 AM »
The status of those books is why I wanted to avoid second party.  I find almost all second party books to be niche and pointless unless playing in that actual campaign setting.

How about Dungeon Magazine?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2012, 11:55:48 AM »

How about Dungeon Magazine?

I've already got Dragon, I see no problem with adding Dungeon as well.