Author Topic: Candy Box: the thread!  (Read 40377 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Candy Box: the thread!
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 01:20:35 AM »
It takes a rather ridiculous number of lolipops to buy upgrades (and I can't even imagine waiting for lolipops to unlock the computer; the javascript says it's measured in millions!).

Any suggestions on scrolls/potion usage to get past the Castle Gates? I've got a level 4 Summon Sword.
Boots + berserker potion.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 01:23:26 AM »
Doesn't cut it. I still get thrown back around the steps by the magic ball, and I don't have nearly enough health potions to survive through the 1000 time steps before the respawns stop (~30 knights and ~60 guards, I believe).

Offline Elevevated Beat

• My DJ scratches like he's wearing itchy wool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 02:07:19 AM »
Damn Hell is kicking my ass. Anyone have suggestions? I got through the first layer of spiked wall once, and died on the second during cooldown.  Used i and k to just maneuver my way through the swarm as quickly as possible.

I'm rolling with a Lvl9 summon sword, and 423 life.

What are I and K? CAN YOU MOVE IN THIS GAME?!
Is it a finite number of enemies? If so, have you tried Invinc pot, teleport back, throw up seeds until your pots come off cd, then going again?

Doesn't cut it. I still get thrown back around the steps by the magic ball, and I don't have nearly enough health potions to survive through the 1000 time steps before the respawns stop (~30 knights and ~60 guards, I believe).

In addition, try using fire scroll. With a Sharp Chocolate Sword (I think that was the highest I could get at that time) and a 'zerker pot and a fire scroll I managed fine.

Edit: I just noticed your respawn sentence. I just thought they kept coming until you brute forced your way in :o
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:22:05 AM by Elevevated Beat »
Do you know how long someone who is as sarcastic as I am would last in prison? Suuuuuuch a long time.

Bhu: Favorite quote of the day: “I’ll make love to you like a confused bear. Awkwardly. And in a manner that suggests I’m trying to escape.”

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 02:11:04 AM »
I've reached Hell, and I decided to go back and wait out the entire wave for the Castle Gate.

It was... something, alright.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 03:00:41 AM »
Sirpercival, do you have the strong armor?
[20:32] <DonQuixote> A POX UPON YOU ALL!
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, J, FOR STEALING THE PURITY OF NORNS.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, DRAMMOR, FOR ENSNARING ME IN THIS FIENDISH PRISON.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 09:27:42 AM »
For me it was a matter of starting the berserker potion a second or two before the thing hit me -- I just barely made it past, sneaking up into the castle.  Do you have the boots that increase your speed?

Damn Hell is kicking my ass. Anyone have suggestions? I got through the first layer of spiked wall once, and died on the second during cooldown.  Used i and k to just maneuver my way through the swarm as quickly as possible.

I'm rolling with a Lvl9 summon sword, and 423 life.

What are I and K? CAN YOU MOVE IN THIS GAME?!
Is it a finite number of enemies? If so, have you tried Invinc pot, teleport back, throw up seeds until your pots come off cd, then going again?

In Hell you can move up and down with the I and K keys (it tells you this). As for enemies.... there's something like 100 demons in a patchy wave, then a similar number of ghosts, then something else I think. You... really need to see it to understand.

I've reached Hell, and I decided to go back and wait out the entire wave for the Castle Gate.

It was... something, alright.
Any luck with Hell?

Sirpercival, do you have the strong armor?
Not yet -- I ALMOST had it, but then that freaking dragon killed me.

EDIT: Got the plate armor.  And a level 11 summoning sword.  Candy monster FTW
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 11:18:31 AM by sirpercival »

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »
I have the key, the boots, the magician's hat, the calm ring, the strong armor, the candy converter, the cauldron, the unicorn horn, the cursed warrior's amulet and the horn of plenty. What two items am I missing and where do I get them?

Edit. There is another quest after Hell. Also, Hell is hard. Stupid hard.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:21:12 PM by Drammor »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 02:09:58 PM »
How did you get past the entrance without a berserker potion?

Anyway, I dunno yet. Probably something in the levels past Hell.

EDIT: Who wants to help compile a list of cooldown times?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:12:32 PM by sirpercival »

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »
Finally beat the game. Doubt I'll wait around for the millions/billions of lollipops I need for the bonus content though. :p (EDIT: Though... beating the final level and eating all the candy it gives you results in so much hp that on subsequent runs you can tank everything before the boss, then convert the candy to lollipops)

The castle entrance is a lot easier with the Flame Sword, since summons slow you down.

Ghosts can't hurt summons, making the Imp scroll very useful on the Castle Steps and Hell (having a unicorn horn for HP regen also helps).

For the keep boss, use an invincibility potion as you approach, then a teleport scroll before it runs out, then a seed to block your path for a minute and let the potion cooldown run out. Repeat until boss is dead.

I found the Turtle potion useful on Hell; the speed difference doesn't often matter that much.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:50:07 PM by Prime32 »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »
OK, I beat Hell.

Strategy: use i and k to avoid as many of the enemies as possible, and use an invul pot if necessary, especially while attacking the wall. I had 650 hp and a level 11 candy monster which chewed through the final wall when I was teleported back.

Then, I spammed Imp scrolls to make it through the multiple ghost waves, and finally used another invul potion to take on the devil.  Done! Now, to take on myself.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 02:36:56 PM »

Most potions are 20, or 12 with the Magician's Hat. Invulnerability is a fixed 40, and cloning is a fixed 100.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 02:38:46 PM »

Most potions are 20, or 12 with the Magician's Hat. Invulnerability is a fixed 40, and cloning is a fixed 100.
Any success with the entrance, G?

EDIT: Yourself isn't too hard, actually.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:40:22 PM by sirpercival »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 02:47:13 PM »

Any success with the entrance, G?

EDIT: Yourself isn't too hard, actually.

Yeah, level 5 summon sword and enough potions eventually makes it through without berserk. Now I'm trying to find the stats for the dragon at the end of the keep so I can figure out what I need to kill him.
Edit: Dragon has 1000 hp and deals 40 damage.

I also have two other browser windows open with different instances of the game so I can compare the effectiveness of the life and flame swords, too.

Edit: The formula for the witch giving you more candies is equal to 5% of your current candies, to a maximum of 300k.

Edit: Candy Monster hp = 80 + 5*sword level. Damage = 8 + sword level/2.
By comparison, the Chimera has 50-57 hp, and deals 14 damage. If time is an issue (for example, the castle gates), staying at level 6 sword is better than upgrading until you can get to level 12!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:18:26 PM by Garryl »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »
Beat Chuck Norris & the Developper's Garden.

EDIT: & Moat.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 03:51:32 PM »
A note on GMOOH potions:  10 seconds of mixing will do.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 04:17:07 PM »
CANDIES!!!  I waited for a day with the Candy Converter and 34 candies/s and the cow horn thingy, did the wish for x8 lollipops, got billions of lollipops, and now I'm making more c/s than my converter can handle.  Already at 1 million candies, with the converter constantly running.  It appears to have a cap around 10k c/s.  So I'm making 10.3 klp/s, and then a good amount of c/s.

So in the time it has taken me to write this, I have failed multiple times at killing the dragon (I can't get the cool-down of the potions to end before I confront it again after I teleport after my first invulnerability wears off), and discovered that the candies converter is not in fact capped at 10k c/s.  After I got up to 10 million, it started converting faster than before.  So I think it has a warm up period, and eventually you'll get to a point where you'll be converting millions per second.  So now I have made a billion lollipops in an hour.  And now I make more candies/s slash lp/s.  Unfortunately the next candies thing is approximately 1 trillion lps.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »
CANDIES!!!  I waited for a day with the Candy Converter and 34 candies/s and the cow horn thingy, did the wish for x8 lollipops, got billions of lollipops, and now I'm making more c/s than my converter can handle.  Already at 1 million candies, with the converter constantly running.  It appears to have a cap around 10k c/s.  So I'm making 10.3 klp/s, and then a good amount of c/s.

So in the time it has taken me to write this, I have failed multiple times at killing the dragon (I can't get the cool-down of the potions to end before I confront it again after I teleport after my first invulnerability wears off), and discovered that the candies converter is not in fact capped at 10k c/s. 
That's where seeds come in handy. Toss one of those down to give yourself time to heal and reset the cooldowns. What worked for me was invincibility->teleport scroll->seed->health potion, repeated about four times.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
Candy converter starts off at 1 candy per 0.1 seconds, and doubles every 0.1 seconds, at least according to the javascript comments.

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
I'm having a devil of a time with the developper's computer...

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 05:13:04 PM »
Okay, I tried waiting a while, now have 2,300 hp, and have beaten hell.  HOW DO YOU BEAT YOURSELF.

Seriously, I can't teleport (there's only one spot), potions/scrolls I use affect me/him the same, I can't summon anything, what???  Maybe a superman potion?  Get lucky with some random value potion (or does the same value affect both of us???)

EDIT: how do you make seeds?

EDIT2: THE EDITING: Oh, 650x2 is 1300.  Not 1100.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 05:17:08 PM by dman11235 »
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.