Author Topic: Multiclassing and LA/ECL replacement: Multi-gestalting  (Read 1553 times)

Offline RedWarlock

• Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
Multiclassing and LA/ECL replacement: Multi-gestalting
« on: March 14, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »
I've been thinking about this one in the back of my head for a couple days now. At first I was trying to think of this as a way to even out split-level parties, but it couldn't come together. (I've got a game I'm going to start where I want everyone to start at level one (plus survivability tweaks), no swapping in higher-level guys when replacing a character. This doesn't solve the problem, but does pose some interesting questions.)

Also as a note, my games use a level-by-level progression sheet that tracks per-level gains in saves, class features, and HD rolls. (It also handily has the XP required per-level.)

As I understand it, this is somewhat similar to the older multiclassing rules, mainly with respect to the XP splitting.

Okay, so here goes:

Single-class leveling is unchanged. If you never multiclass and play a base race, you will have no changes. First class goes by the standard XP chart (current level x1000 xp over).

XP for leveling is treated like cost, rather than breaking limits of total. (I'm thinking of a more XP-fluid game in general.. Stuff like magic items are powered by small continuous XP burning, making use of the XP-as-a-river idea to a fuller extent.)

If you start as a level 5 rogue (for instance) and decide to take a level of druid, you start up a second progression sheet as that class, costing that new class's level x 1000 in XP, so 1000xp (basically taking the regular chart and shifting it one level). But instead of gaining a whole new level, new hit dice, increase in saves, and so forth, you gain that one druid level as a gestalt better-of comparison. The druid's D8 outweighs the rogue's d6 for first level, so that number is replaced. Skills aren't better, but you could retrain some points over as desired. You also gain druid's first level class features, the animal companion and spells. (Saves and BAB are probably handled by summing the per-class totals and taking better-of, but I'm thinking of switching how those function for my game anyhow. Not really important, stick with base for comparison but consider problems brought up there won't hold much weight for me since I'm changing things.)

XP is gained as the highest level total, as are any total-level benefits like feats and ability score increases, though you have retraining options. (either open retraining, or maybe just switching them when you hit a feat-level in any class.)

PrCs are either dropped entirely or drastically limited, mainly with multiclass-facilitating PrCs gone. If a PrC directly extends a class's features, it can sit in that class's gestalt track, replacing the other features, but I'd largely prefer to abandon PrCs.

The idea here is that your character XP total, rather than your actual levels, determines your effective power level. Hopefully there's some parity, (I've gotta do XP comparisons yet, I'll be in spreadsheet heaven this saturday) but I'd like some input on the base idea, as it stands.
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Multiclassing and LA/ECL replacement: Multi-gestalting
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 06:03:58 PM »
Is there any cap in classes, or can you just take one level in everything?

Offline RedWarlock

• Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 06:09:06 PM »
Well, eventually you'd run out of classes, but no, no strict cap as such. It's just not a smart idea, when you've got to spend 1000 xp per each extra class, and after a while they're not really adding much. (Although who knows? That many spells, feats, powers, SA dice, maybe it's worth it? Glass cannon, for sure, compared to others of that XP value, but not horrendous.)

I thought about some kind of inherent scaling cost increase, like the XP cost increasing per-number-of-other-classes, but I couldn't settle on one that didn't get cumbersome. Like I said, this weekend I intend to play with spreadsheets.
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:22:41 PM »
I had a similar (if not identical, just less thought out) idea (only problem is that I don't use XP in my games), but less as a houserule to multiclassing and more like an alternative for leveling up a 20th level character without going Epic (yet). I'm very interested how that would play out in practice in an actual game.
At higher levels multiclassing would be kinda not worth it. One level appropriate encounter should give you enough XP to level up at least a few times in your new class that you take from 1st, but there's the rule that you can level up only once and almost all the excess XP is lost, so I dunno what to think here. Either the character would level up once per session (if you give out XP after the game ends), or once per encounter (if you give XP immediately), or you handwave/ignore/houserule the "level up only once" rule (but then the character would gain multiple levels after just one session/1-2 encounters).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:28:45 PM by ImperatorK »
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 12:17:47 AM »
Main caution is just with good dip classes like Paladin(for Cha to saves), and other stuff with low level benefits that ignore levels. It'd be very rewarding at very low cost once you approach the teen levels.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.