Author Topic: OOC Chat - Sir Talksalot lives here  (Read 133819 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Chat - Sir Talksalot lives here
« Reply #420 on: August 13, 2013, 02:21:57 PM »
... does this guy have a name? @_@

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #421 on: August 13, 2013, 04:49:29 PM »
If you have Int over 16 you already know Latin and know what the symbols and drawings are, they are Roman in nature, and depict Roman Legions fighting and conquering several different armies, at the height of the Holy Roman Empire, as well as some Greek drawings, showing Hoplites and Spartans

The Holy Roman Empire has absolutely no link to the actual Roman Empire, being Medieval and German. 'Hoplites and Spartans' would be indistinguishable, because the former is just a type of soldier. About all that could tell them apart is what's on the shield. But yeah, the HRE and the Roman Empire are from completely different eras. :lmao

... anyway, what do we do now?

Derp. I meant the actual roman empire. I was sleepy, i actually do know my history despite my horrible blunder  :banghead

"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 13, 2013, 05:07:01 PM »
Pride: always a sore point. :D

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 17, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »

No. Not happening. ._.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 17, 2013, 11:51:20 AM »
lol. Only 19 I've ever get out of the system too :p

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 18, 2013, 03:18:01 PM »
(I'm confused, what exactly went on with Brighid and Dolus? )
My real life doublespeak check failed and Raineh had Brighid join Dolus when he was trying to bed her.

It wasn't until I rolled a Perform check to see if Dolus had a bragable or shameful night did Raineh pick up on things.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 18, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »
Note ~ All Cardinal numbers are semi-made up.

From the 13th to 15th centuries there was only 30 at a given moment. The number was reduced to 20, then intended 15 but was overruled by the next Pope. By 1555 forty were allowed and since then it has increased to 120 voting members, the exact cardinal count is roughly around 180 today (120 with voting rights). Pre13th century MASSIVELY varies, which was the reason Pope John XXII standardized it in 1316. For instance 1099 had 18 cardinals but by 1118 there was over 40. 1294 had probably the single greatest change over, around twenty new cardinals created within eight months.

I'm using the current number. Both because it sounds impressive and because the game takes place in the 1000s. 1095 saw the first crusade, which undoubtedly swelled the number of promoted members, the Papacy that lead to this came into power in 1054.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:00:16 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 18, 2013, 05:52:01 PM »
So, any last objections to the suggested earlier stat rearrangement to actually get at TWF? :lmao

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 18, 2013, 06:45:27 PM »
None here!

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #429 on: August 18, 2013, 09:03:29 PM »
Note ~ All Cardinal numbers are semi-made up.

From the 13th to 15th centuries there was only 30 at a given moment. The number was reduced to 20, then intended 15 but was overruled by the next Pope. By 1555 forty were allowed and since then it has increased to 120 voting members, the exact cardinal count is roughly around 180 today (120 with voting rights). Pre13th century MASSIVELY varies, which was the reason Pope John XXII standardized it in 1316. For instance 1099 had 18 cardinals but by 1118 there was over 40. 1294 had probably the single greatest change over, around twenty new cardinals created within eight months.

I'm using the current number. Both because it sounds impressive and because the game takes place in the 1000s. 1095 saw the first crusade, which undoubtedly swelled the number of promoted members, the Papacy that lead to this came into power in 1054.

:clap

Really great roleplay there, too. After this scene, i'm going to fastforward towards the travel proper, as you have a lot of ground to cover between Hadrian's Wall and York, as you might have seen from FireInTheSky's map.

And i estimate that you will have many very interesting encounters between here and there, as you'll be heading through the middle of a battlefield, as you might recall from the Campaign Info thread  :devil
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 18, 2013, 09:25:25 PM »
Brighid approaches everything as you would fighting a monster: go for the head. XD

Why, exactly, would we wander straight through a battlefield? :p

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 22, 2013, 03:37:06 PM »
Hey brujon, sorry about this (I was excited to play Eos), but I have to withdraw from this game. :( Have fun, everyone!
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #432 on: August 23, 2013, 09:46:49 AM »
NP, man! I'm sorry about that, =\

I'll talk it over with dna1 since he was interested in the game, maybe he still wants to play =]

EDIT: What would be an IC way of explaining Eos withdrawal?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:49:26 AM by brujon »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 23, 2013, 04:07:53 PM »
Had a heart attack from the shock of going from dead to Italy to England?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 23, 2013, 04:15:11 PM »

:lmao

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 23, 2013, 04:54:58 PM »
:lmao

I second Nan's reaction.

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #436 on: August 23, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »
I am now going to start working on the random encounter table...

"Protected" Areas - Roll the dice if a d100 falls 1~5. No hostile encounters.
"Peaceful" Areas - Roll the dice if a d100 falls 91~100. High likelihood of "Indifferent" or "Friendly" encounters.
"Medium" Areas - Roll the dice if a d100 falls 76~100. Somewhat equal odds of getting any kind of encounter.
"Dangerous" Areas - Roll the dice if a d100 falls 51~100. High likelihood of "Hostile" or "Indifferent" encounters.
"Battlefield" Areas - Roll the dice if a d100 falls 26~100 No "Friendly" encounters. Very high likelihood of Hostile encounters.

And, of course, any encounters that might be provoked due to roleplaying or storyline.

So, basically, 10%, 25%, 50% and 75% chance of having a random encounter happen, depending on the danger level of the area.

The dice will be rolled whenever you are travelling in "unprotected" areas, which means, areas where either there is no security at all, or very little security. Since there aren't really any police presence like there is nowadays, mostly anywhere that is public, is going to be unprotected places. That, and the fact that many soldiers are actually brigands and like to shake you down anyway. But, government buildings, inside people's houses, etc. are considered "Protected" places. Well, more or less, that's the gist of it, anyway. This is meta game information, so i won't be saying it as such.

I'll make a tiered encounter table, where i first roll one dice on the table for the type of area to determine how easy or hard the encounter is - the more dangerous an area, the harder the encounters will be. From Party CR -3 to Party CR +2.

After determining the difficulty of the encounter, i'll roll another dice to determine if the encounter is "friendly", "indifferent" or "hostile". Friendly encounters are only possible in "Peaceful" or "Medium" areas. In Protected areas there is a very slim chance of getting a "Helpful" encounter.

There will be no "Monster" table, as such, but encounters will be determined on the fly... All of the rolling is made so as to guarantee a level of unpredictability in the game. Neither me nor you will know if there will be combat, if it will be hard, medium, or otherwise. Of course, this all has absolutely NO bearing at all in encounters that are started storywise, through roleplaying, but only applies to encounters that will happen whenever you enter a "dungeon", explore towns, travel from a town to the next, or otherwise have to spend an appreciable amount of time wandering through an area.

Why am i saying all of this?

Well, because you'll probably see something like this at the end of the post:

Rolled 1d100 : 80, total 80
- Encounter
Rolled 1d100 : 85, total 85
- Difficulty
Rolled 1d100 : 72, total 72
- Starting disposition

And then, a post describing what happens afterwards. I know, this is somewhat "oldschool" and gamey, but i think it actually brings a lot of good to the table, by making things at least a bit unpredictable both for me and for you. Some encounters will be tough, really, really tough, because Party CR+2 is a pretty big CR when talking about a party of 7.

To keep the mystery, i won't disclose the exact percentages for difficulty or starting disposition.

Everyone in agreement about this?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 23, 2013, 07:12:45 PM »
It's your game, do whatever feels right to you.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 23, 2013, 07:15:22 PM »
Some encounters will be tough, really, really tough, because Party CR+2 is a pretty big CR when talking about a party of 7.

Solomon's going to have a hard time keeping up with all the replacements needed. @_@

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 23, 2013, 08:11:26 PM »
It's your game, do whatever feels right to you.
^ What he said.