Author Topic: More Monk than a Monk [TO/Questionable]  (Read 4404 times)

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
More Monk than a Monk [TO/Questionable]
« on: July 25, 2015, 11:06:23 AM »
DISCLAIMER: This is mostly a thought exercise, and hardly on par with my usual TO shenanigans.  That being said, this would be an insanely fun character to play, especially if you want to play Goku but don't want to get Sun Wukong's staff to the head from an angry DM.

That being said:

While hardly broken by any means, it seems possible per this discussion that taking Monastic Training and Tashalatora after taking Hidden Talent can dovetail most of the monk class features (the ones that matter, at least) onto just about anything.  That being said, what can a monk do for the three feat tax?

Let's first off assume that odds are, we can't stack some of the better stuff, like the speed increase (though that could be entertaining).  This means we have two instances of FoB, the AC bonus, and the speed bonus.  Know what works just fine without interfering with FoB or DS?  Rage.  Since we're assuming we can't stack the speed bonus, might as well pick up the DR variant as well - it won't amount to much, but it's better than a null set when we paid 3 feats to get it.

Let's also assume we're going to follow the same paradigm of all unarmed attackers and snag every method possible to increase unarmed damage - there are several ways of throwing this at range using feats alone (northern style comes to mind, as does ring the golden bell).

Finally, since we don't like relying on others, we'll start off as either a dragonborn, a raptoran, or both.  Refluff to taste.

Gee, if this thing had the standard full BAB most people houserule on it, it would play eerily like a certain anime with lots of screaming and spiky glowing hair...

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
Re: More Monk than a Monk [TO/Questionable]
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 11:53:23 PM »
don't forget your ACF swap stuff. ^^ or the swap the stat for monk abilities feat if you go int based instead of wis. ^^
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 11:56:22 PM by nijineko »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »
While hardly broken by any means, it seems possible per this discussion that taking Monastic Training and Tashalatora after taking Hidden Talent can dovetail most of the monk class features (the ones that matter, at least) onto just about anything.  That being said, what can a monk do for the three feat tax?
It doesn't work.

Monastic Training does allow you to pick any class you like, but Tashalatora only adds a psionic class. Think of it as you yes you picked monk but Tashalatora is only adding +0 (or N/A actually). Hidden Talent does not make the Monk Class psionic any more than Eldritch Knight makes the Fighter Class a spellcaster. But you could try the trick with Fist of Zokuen or as the SRD calls it the Psionic Fist. That would be your vague middle ground.

But the idea of more monk than a monk it's self has some merit, as previously brought up there is some allowance in combing variant Classes.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:22:46 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 05:59:05 AM »
Honestly, I'd say the Spellcasters are more like DBZ than anything else. Ever spend a few consecutive rounds buffing with both your Standard and Swift actions? Verbal components have to be "in a strong voice". And with all the ways to mess with the action economy; you end up with so many spells crammed into six seconds that if it were the real world instead of step-by-step D&D, your verbal components would be spoken so fast that they would be utterly incomprehensible to viewers.

For all everyone says about ToB making the game too much like anime, it's actually the Wizard that stands there screaming for 30+ seconds to power up while everyone else just sits around and watches him. :P
Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 06:59:27 AM »
Honestly, I'd say the Spellcasters are more like DBZ than anything else. Ever spend a few consecutive rounds buffing with both your Standard and Swift actions? Verbal components have to be "in a strong voice". And with all the ways to mess with the action economy; you end up with so many spells crammed into six seconds that if it were the real world instead of step-by-step D&D, your verbal components would be spoken so fast that they would be utterly incomprehensible to viewers.

For all everyone says about ToB making the game too much like anime, it's actually the Wizard that stands there screaming for 30+ seconds to power up while everyone else just sits around and watches him. :P

For the record, if I REALLY wanted to capture world busting power like a pissed off Saiyan, I'd be using either one of my wizards, or one of my StP Erudites.  But that's easy - trying to do it with the red-headed stepchild of 3.5 is an actual challenge :P

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 07:21:43 AM »
Definitely. I wasn't talking about their respective... er, "power levels". Just the appearances. I like seeing what the "lesser" classes are capable of too. Like making the Truenamer reasonably effective with just a one-level PrC dip.
Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.