Author Topic: 1001 Homebrew Ideas to Flesh Out Sometime  (Read 309125 times)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: 1001 Homebrew Ideas to Flesh Out Sometime
« Reply #520 on: August 21, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »
what is this for? if you say magipunk i will be happy

Power of Cybernetics, which, as a component of Magipunk, means that I can say that this is for Magipunk.

I'm glad to see you're still working on it.

I haven't done much lately, but I think about it every so often. When Amechra linked to my half-finished mecha rules a few days ago, it set me off on a bit of a brainstorm.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 21, 2014, 03:42:26 PM »
Cyberspace martial discipline.
Skill: Computer Use (duh)

Most maneuvers will work in reality, but have a special effect when used in cyberspace, like causing feedback to the decker when used against an avatar. A lot of maneuvers will be based on translating decking concepts to reality, like a strike that deals a bit of nonlethal and dazes for a round (like having your avatar destroyed), or a maneuver that creates a wall of fire that requires a Will save for enemies to pass through, etc. Many of these maneuvers are supernatural in reality, but become cyberspace abilities when used in cyberspace.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 21, 2014, 05:55:38 PM »
Okay, I think that's all I have about decking for now. I think the core mechanics and concepts are pretty solid. Is anything missing?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 21, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »
But how will it help the Terror Squid?
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 21, 2014, 11:26:05 PM »
But how will it help the Terror Squid?

Um, you can pilot your terror squid in cyberspace? I dunno, hack an enemy robot and ride your squid around in its CPU?

Speaking of the squid, thanks for supporting my work. You've obviously looked into the mecha rules a lot more recently than I have, and I don't really remember how I left them. Are they in a usable state? Are there any rules missing that are keeping the squid from being as terrorizing as it could be?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: August 22, 2014, 01:04:47 AM »
There aren't rules for carrying passengers. Otherwise, they are pretty usable; not as great as they'll be when you're actually done, but I don't feel any holes in them.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 22, 2014, 02:05:58 AM »
There aren't rules for carrying passengers. Otherwise, they are pretty usable; not as great as they'll be when you're actually done, but I don't feel any holes in them.

Cockpits, compartments, and interior space. That should solve the issue. As a Gargantuan creature, the Terror Squid should probably have a Huge cockpit or a Large cockpit and a Large cargo space, or something like that.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 23, 2014, 01:56:37 AM »
Universal Engine major artifact and adventure site
The universal engine has power over all of reality. When supplied with enough energy, legends say that it can rewrite the entirety of the multiverse.

The universal engine is a massive structure. It exists within, and fills the entirety of, an enourmously large demiplane hidden within the Astral Plane. The boundaries of the demiplane are blocked from all planar travel, even deific powers, but a single physical connection exists somewhere within the Astral Plane. Once inside the universal engine, teleportation that normally functions by instantaneously whisking a traveller through a transitive plane still functions, although no planar travel is involved; the traveller simply appears directly at the destination.

At the core of the engine lies a great chamber where it can be accessed as an energy receptacle; every creature within the core has access to it. Any number of creatures can allocate energy to the engine at once. The engine has an infinite energy capacity, so there is no limit to the amount of energy that can be allocated to it. As long as a creature has any energy allocated to the engine, it retains access to the engine as an energy receptacle no matter where it travels within the engine's structure, although the creature loses access should it leave the engine (and its demiplane) entirely.

Once energy is allocated to the engine, it begins to reactivate. The creature with the most allocated energy can influence its functions; there is a special chamber, far from the core but within a finite distance, from which the character can control the engine. If multiple creatures are tied for the greatest amount of allocated energy, an opposed activator level check determines which creature has control each round.

Activate/Deactivate Defenses: As a standard action, the controller can activate or deactivate some of the engine's internal defense systems. The controller decides which creatures the defenses consider to be friendly or hostile, which can be defined using any senses available to the defenses. The engine can have a maximum of 1 HD of defenses active at a time for each point of energy allocated to it. If energy is deallocated, some of the defenses may be deactivated as well.

The engine's internal defenses are creatures of all sorts, although frequently constructs. The engine can be used to create more creatures to serve as its defenses using its Alter Reality power to produce an epic spell with the Conjure, Fortify, and Life seeds.

Planar Genesis: The engine can create a new demiplane on the Astral Plane, as per the genesis spell. The location and traits of the demiplane are decided by the engine's controller at the beginning of the process. This process takes 1 hour. The controller must maintain control of the engine and the engine must have at least 100 energy allocated to it throughout the entire process. Starting the process takes 1 minute for the controller.

Alter Reality: The engine can produce the effects of any epic spell or epic power that the controller can conceive of, even if it does not exist. The effect can target anywhere within the engine itself or anywhere within the Astral Plane. This process takes the same amount of time as casting or manifesting the epic effect. The controller must maintain control of the engine and the engine must have at least 100 energy allocated to it throughout the entire process, plus an amount of energy equal to 10 times the epic spell or power's Spellcraft or Psicraft DC without including any mitigating factors. Starting the process takes 1 minute for the controller.

Ascension: The engine can turn the controller into a deity. The controller gains a Divine Rank of 1. This has no effect on creatures that are already deities. This process takes 1 day. The controller must maintain control of the engine and the engine must have at least 2500 energy allocated to it throughout the entire process. Starting the process takes 1 minute for the controller.

Planar Creation: The engine can create a new plane entirely. This can be a material plane, an inner plane, or an outer plane. The traits of the plane, along with its connections to the transitive planes, are decided by the engine's controller at the beginning of the process. This process takes 1 week. The controller must maintain control of the engine and the engine must have at least 10000 energy allocated to it throughout the entire process. Starting the process takes 1 minute for the controller.

Planar Destruction: The engine can destroy a plane utterly. The plane to be destroyed is decided by the engine's controller at the beginning of the process. The engine can destroy any material plane, inner plane, outer plane or demiplane, but it cannot destroy transitive planes (Astral, Ethereal, Shadow). This process takes 1 week, during which time passes at the same rate on the engine's demiplane as on the plane being destroyed. Once the process has started, the chosen plane begins to fall apart. The controller must maintain control of the engine and the engine must have at least 10000 energy allocated to it throughout the entire process. Starting the process takes 1 minute for the controller. The universal engine cannot destroy itself.

Day   Happenings
1   Light begins to fade. Stars appear to wink out, and the sun and moon seem to produce less light. All light sources have their radius of illumination reduced by 1/2. Daylight produces only shadowy illumination, not bright illumination.
2   Natural disasters begin to strike, primarily earthquakes.
3   Water begins to disappear. Lakes dry up, and seas and oceans lower. Creatures need to drink twice as much as normal.
4   Natural light disappears. The sun (and any remaining stars) ceases shining, and the sky grows cold. The moon, too, is dark. The temperature decreases by one band this day and each day afterwards.
5   Living creatures begin to die. All animals, vermin, and magical beasts take 1d6 points of damage per hour.
6   Living creatures continue to die. All living creatures take 1d6 points of damage per hour (not just animals, vermin, and magical beasts).
7   Everything stops. The entirety of the plane is halted as per the temporal stasis spell at the beginning of this day, and the previous days' disasters stop getting worse (no more damage is dealt, no more earthquakes, water levels stay as they are, etc.). Creatures entering the plane after the beginning of the day are unaffected. At the end of the seventh day, anything still on the plane, even artifacts and deities, along with the plane itself, ceases to exist. Even souls are utterly annihilated, preventing resurrection by any means, even deific powers or those of the universal engine itself.

These effects are cumulative and continue onto later days.

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 25, 2014, 07:07:15 PM »
A rewrite that does justice to animals and their (ex) abilities

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 25, 2014, 10:15:03 PM »
I wrote this to get some ideas for abstract combat within mechas, but it should work well enough for abstract combat within any constrained abstract environment where individual rooms aren't too huge. Assuming that it's actually functional, of course. I ripped it off in like 10 minutes.

Combat in Mechas is unlikely to use a standard grid, as the interiors are intentionally abstracted in order to simplify things. When you build a mecha, you should be slapping the cool parts together, not making a blueprint filled with all of the minutiae that will probably never be relevant. If you have a grid and a floorplan, more power to you. If you don't, here are some guidelines for abstracted tactical combat.

Compartments: Compartments are the rooms within a mecha. Assume that each compartment is a roughly a cube. Decide which compartments are connected to which, and whether or not they're connected to the outside of the mecha. Not all compartments need to be connected on the interior (some may only be accessible from outside only). Don't worry if the result makes no physical sense and would look like an Escher painting.

Hatches: Hatches are the doors between compartments. If two compartments are connected, they connect through a hatch.

Movement between compartments: Moving from one compartment to another connected compartment takes movement equal to the average of the two compartments' spaces, rounded up to the nearest 5 feet.

Combat between compartments: A character can be "at" a hatch, "near" a hatch, or "away" from a hatch. 1/8 of the characters that can fit in the compartment (rounded up) can be at either side of a hatch at a time, up to 1/2 of the characters that can actually fit in the compartment (rounded down) are away from the hatch, and everyone else is near the hatch. For example, in a Huge cargo space with Medium creatures in it, you could have up to 1 of them at the hatch, 1 near the hatch, and 2 away from the hatch. You can fit up to twice as much in each position, but such creatures are squeezing. Now, as for attacking between compartments, that depends on where the attacker and defender are on their relative sides.

AttackerDefenderMeleeCover
AtAtAdjacentNone
AtNearReachNone
AtAwayNoCover
NearAtReachNone
NearNearNoNone
NearAwayNoCover
AwayAtNoCover
AwayNearNoCover
AwayAwayNoTotal Cover

Melee: Adjacent means that both characters are adjacent (within 5 feet of each other). Reach means that characters are 10 feet away or further. Don't sweat the details, just go with the folks who have longer than normal reach being able to attack in melee. I might get to actual rules about how far it counts depending on the compartment sizes later.

In short, if you're away from the hatch, you have cover unless your opponent is also away, in which case it's total cover. At and at can melee with each other, at and near need reach weapons to melee, and near and near can't melee, period (DM might allow it if someone's go ungodly reach, but big reach usually would require being too big to fit in the compartment in the first place). If everyone's got big reach or is using ranged weapons, then being at or near the hatch makes no difference except to decide who is up front and thus gives soft cover to everyone else.

You can change where you're at with respect to one hatch with a 5-foot step, or with respect to all hatches as a move action.

If you're at a hatch, you can step through it, become at the hatch in the other compartment, as a 5-foot step. Anything else is a move action. If you're moving through multiple compartments at once, see the rules above about moving between compartments.

If there's more than one hatch, you can't be away from more than half of them, but otherwise anything goes.

Combat within compartments: If the combat is constrained to a single compartment, assume that everyone is in melee with each other. Flanking occurs when one side outnumbers the other by more than 2:1 (so 3 vs. 1, 5 vs. 2, 7 vs. 3, etc.). Effects that summon a creature to flank (Burning Ember, DW1 boost) don't guarantee that flanking is possible, but the extra body helps everyone on your side to flank everyone on the other side.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:24:02 PM by Garryl »

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 29, 2014, 03:52:29 AM »
Has anyone tried to combine binder, chameleon with incarnum?

Tribe of One

Multiple personalities instead of Vestiges
Powers come online the more points are invested in the personality
The personality with most points becomes dominant and gives a major ability similar to focuses in chameleon (spellcasting, or maneuvers for example)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 03, 2014, 01:04:58 AM »
Complete: Part of Cheap Magic Items.

Weapon Crystal of Empowerment
A crystal of empowerment grants an enhancement bonus to the weapon it is attached to (+1 for least, +3 for lesser, and +5 for greater). The enhancement bonus granted by the crystal does not allow the crystal itself to remain attached to the weapon in and of itself; a lesser crystal of empowerment that somehow becomes attached to a non-magical weapon with the Magic Weapon spell affecting it (+1 enhancement bonus) does not continue to grant it the +3 enhancement bonus once the Magic Weapon spell wears off and the weapon reverts to having less than the necessary +1 enhancement bonus with which to use a lesser weapon crystal.
Cost: 2000 gp (least), 10000 gp (lesser), 32000 gp (greater)

Armor Crystal of Empowerment
A crystal of empowerment grants an enhancement bonus to the armor it is attached to (+1 for least, +3 for lesser, and +5 for greater). The enhancement bonus granted by the crystal does not allow the crystal itself to remain attached to the armor in and of itself; a lesser crystal of empowerment that somehow becomes attached to a non-magical suit of armor with the Magic Vestment spell affecting it (+1 enhancement bonus) does not continue to grant it the +3 enhancement bonus once the Magic Vestment spell wears off and the armor reverts to having less than the necessary +1 enhancement bonus with which to use a lesser armor crystal.
Cost: 1000 gp (least), 5000 gp (lesser), 16000 gp (greater)

Shield Crystal of Empowerment
A crystal of empowerment grants an enhancement bonus to the shield it is attached to (+1 for least, +3 for lesser, and +5 for greater). The enhancement bonus granted by the crystal does not allow the crystal itself to remain attached to the shield in and of itself; a lesser crystal of empowerment that somehow becomes attached to a non-magical shield with the Magic Vestment spell affecting it (+1 enhancement bonus) does not continue to grant it the +3 enhancement bonus once the Magic Vestment spell wears off and the shield reverts to having less than the necessary +1 enhancement bonus with which to use a lesser shield crystal.
Cost: 1000 gp (least), 5000 gp (lesser), 16000 gp (greater)

2/4/2016: Adjusted prices to match the difference between the minimum enhancement bonus to use the crystal (0/+1/+3) and the final effective enhancement bonus, rather than being the cost of the final alone. So lessers went from 9k/18k to 5k/10k, and greaters went from 25k/50k to 16k/32k.
3/9/2014: First posted.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 05:22:10 PM by Garryl »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 03, 2014, 03:04:53 AM »
Ooh, Weapon Crystal support! Love it!

Prime 'brewed a +1 enhancement that lets you apply up to 3 Weapon Crystals to the same weapon. This would go great with that.

I also had an idea (justifying my presence here):

All +1 Weapon Qualities as Weapon Crystals.

Base the power level off the Crystal of Return.

An example of this would be:

Ki Focus Stone
This roughly hewn stone looks vaguely like a caricature of a meditating monk.
Least: The weapon the stone is attached to is considered to be a special Monk weapon for you and you alone.
Lesser: The stone serves as a channel for your ki, allowing you to use your special ki attacks through the weapon as if they were unarmed attacks. These attacks include the monk’s stunning attack, ki strike, and quivering palm, as well as the Stunning Fist feat.
Greater: The weapon the stone is attached to deals its normal damage, or your unarmed strike damage, whichever is higher.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 03, 2014, 03:12:31 AM »
Multiclassing feats in the vein of Swift Hunter or Daring Outlaw, but for Incarnum-users. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 03, 2014, 09:03:40 AM »
Complete: Part of Cheap Magic Items (except the Spellforge Crystal).

Incarnum Weapon Crystal
This crystal glows with a strong blue light.
Incarnum weapon crystals invest essentia into the weapon to which they are attached. When attached to a weapon created through a soulmeld (such as the Incarnum Weapon soulemld), they invest the essentia directly into the soulmeld instead. You can invest essentia in the same receptacle as the crystal, subject to the receptacle's essentia capacity.
Least: The crystal invests 1 essentia.
Lesser: The crystal invests 2 essentia.
Greater: The crystal invests 3 essentia.

Essentia Battery Weapon Crystal
Essentia battery weapon crystals function just like incarnum weapon crystals, except that they function on a more temporary basis. Once activated (a free action), the essentia battery invests its essentia for 1 minute, after which it becomes burned out and useless.

Spellforge Crystal
A spellforge crystal can be enchanted as if it were a masterwork weapon. When attached to a weapon temporarily created, called, or summoned by a spell, power, supernatural ability, or other magical effect, the weapon gains the crystal's properties. Properties that could not be applied to the weapon (such a Keen on a bludgeoning weapon) do not apply. If the weapon already has an enhancement bonus or other properties that the crystal grants, the crystal's properties do not stack with them. Spellforge crystals can be attached to weapons regardless of whether they are masterwork or not.

Any abilities that have a limited number of uses or charges are tracked across the crystal and all weapons that the abilities are transferred to. Any transferred abilities and enhancement bonuses do not stack with existing enchantments that the created weapon already possesses. Any transferred abilities that would not normally be applicable to a created weapon that they are transferred to have no effect. No one weapon can ever benefit from more than one set of enchantments granted by a spellforge crystal or a similar item at any given time.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:13:53 AM by Garryl »

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 06, 2014, 01:35:35 AM »
Thought back to my Spirit Shaman and Incarnum stuff and realized I should perhaps just make a bunch of animalistic soulmelds and have them be an alternative list of soulmelds for the totemist instead of magical beast ones?  And then have totemist substitution levels for shifters or something.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 06, 2014, 03:05:40 AM »
I've been trying to convert some of D20 Modern/Future's decompression rules into D&D wind speeds. Unfortunately, I don't know what's actually appropriate. Using the effects that D20 Modern gives and guesstimating wind speed from that is kinda okay, but it gets into super-hurricane wind speeds once you get to Large breaches (5-foot square) to model it around what size creatures are blown away by winds. Trying to get wind speeds by calculating the actual flow rate from the breach area vs. air evacuation time gives utterly nonsensical values. Large is the slowest at 4.5 mph, Medium and Colossal are both 18.2 mph, Small actually matches up almost nicely to Windstorm speeds with 56.8 mph, all the way down to a Fine breach's utterly nonsensical ~5500 mph wind (that's around Mach 7).

Here's what I have so far. Decompression times have yet to be adjusted, I'm just working on wind speeds for now. I've changed the names of the breach sizes down a category so that they roughly match up with the space of an equally-sized creature, rather than having the same size as a creature one category smaller. Also, I'm not strictly following the D&D wind speed statistics, as the DC jumps too much between Hurricane and Tornado, and a couple of the larger size categories tend to get lumped together sometimes.

Part of the problem, though, is that I have no good idea of how fast the air speed actually should be when you suddenly get that sudden 1 atmosphere to vacuum transition, and I don't remember enough of my physics and linear systems courses (especially this late at night) to guesstimate it.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:25:48 AM by Garryl »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 06, 2014, 08:11:05 AM »
Thought back to my Spirit Shaman and Incarnum stuff and realized I should perhaps just make a bunch of animalistic soulmelds and have them be an alternative list of soulmelds for the totemist instead of magical beast ones?  And then have totemist substitution levels for shifters or something.
Well, let's see. We have incarnum classes (w/ dedicated soulmelds) for Magical Beast, Plant, and Aberration. We need a bunch more if we're going to run the gamut, which would actually be kind of fun to consolidate.

Maybe make an incarnum barbarian? Like, even more so than totemist? I dunno. I feel like if you're going to make a bunch of animal soulmelds you have to make it into a separate class. I'd be happy to help...

Now this has me thinking...
  • Constructs would be pretty straightforward, I think. Finally an incarnum class dedicated to warforged!
  • For Outsiders, the problem would be narrowing them down so that you don't have too many soulmelds. Something something Planeswalker?
  • Someone's making a dedicated Dragon incarnum class for the Base Class Challenge, IIRC. Noumenon Drake doesn't really count because it doesn't have its own soulmelds, but either way this should be covered.
  • Elementals should work too (can expand to paras and quasis if necessary). The thematics are pretty obvious.
  • Fey seems to work... okay. I dunno. The thematics are pretty narrow, IMO, and I'm not convinced there are enough unique fey to support a full soulmeld list. We shall have to think on this one... though I guess there are more mythological fey which haven't been tapped.
  • Might need to combine Monstrous Humanoid, Humanoid, and Giant. Even so, finding enough unique abilities is going to be tough.
  • Unless we bring in Living Spells (which opens up a huge can of worms), I don't think there are enough oozes to support a full list. Dragon Mag might help.
  • Undead: trivial. And probably interesting, esp. if you can keep it away from necrocarnum.
  • Vermin are boring. Maybe combine with animal?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 06, 2014, 01:44:33 PM »
Well, let's see. We have incarnum classes (w/ dedicated soulmelds) for Magical Beast, Plant, and Aberration. We need a bunch more if we're going to run the gamut, which would actually be kind of fun to consolidate.
I've been stymied by this idea myself. I tried working it as 3 access feats, one of which was basically a redesign of Necrocarnum Acolyte. The fey section wrote itself but I got blocked when coming upon ideas for elemental melds.

Should I post a tentative?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 06, 2014, 02:01:05 PM »
I've been stymied by this idea myself. I tried working it as 3 access feats, one of which was basically a redesign of Necrocarnum Acolyte. The fey section wrote itself but I got blocked when coming upon ideas for elemental melds.

Should I post a tentative?
I mean, absolutely, but personally I feel like having distinct classes for the various creature types is a more interesting idea than access feats... just my 2cp.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.