Author Topic: 40k  (Read 12157 times)

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
Re: 40k
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »
I play tau myself. Just got back into the hobby a few weeks ago. Havent played since 04'. 5th much different then 4th?

All I can say is that you are going to have trouble playing Tau

Offline Soundwave

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science, it works.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 03:12:33 AM »
From what ive read melee is still vicious as hell, my transports and other vehicles are more durable then before and deathrain is still the best suit loadout for crisis teams, seems like the meta is nigh totally mechanized matches which suits me fine. Objective missions ( 2/3rds of total types) will be a hassle. Looks like markerlights to remove cover saves it is :D

Our codex doesnt appear to have aged well but maybe well see some love in the future.

Heres some pics of the stuff im working on right now

My firewarrior colorscheme

Various profile shots of my first Hammerhead.

My stealth team that came with the battleforce, I decided I liked the look of the crisis BC's more then the stealths attempt at sleeker housing so I swapped those out.

Painting up a brand new army :D finished magnetizing all of my suits tonight gonna finish painting the first one tomorrow. Anyone else got any cool pics of their armies? Love seeing the creative stuff people do with their armies.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:20:37 AM by Soundwave »

Offline johnboy069

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 12:02:38 PM »
Those look really good!
The gods have a full band now. Dimbag Darrell(guitarist), Oderus Urungus (guitarist/vocalist),The Rev(drummer), Ronnie James Dio(vocalist) and Paul Gray (bassist). R.I.P.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »
I believe the big issue with Tau atm is inability to capture and hold objectives, which will lose you 2/3 of your games.

I play Black Templars myself and am sort of getting tired of being beaten at my own game by newer armies. Templars are close combat centric but every time I end up in combat with Blood Angels I get absolutely murdered. Their rules are just better than mine...

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 01:30:24 PM »
I believe the big issue with Tau atm is inability to capture and hold objectives, which will lose you 2/3 of your games.

I play Black Templars myself and am sort of getting tired of being beaten at my own game by newer armies. Templars are close combat centric but every time I end up in combat with Blood Angels I get absolutely murdered. Their rules are just better than mine...

What do you expect. You're not even a founding chapter, and their primarch was at the Emperors side at the pivotal moment.
(Used to love Silver Skulls [Ultramarine sub-chapter, for those who don't know] no longer play)
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 02:38:26 PM »
Ah well, at least we outnumber them 5 or 6 to 1.

Offline Shadowhunter

• E6/E8 fanboy.
    • View Profile
    • The additional vestige collection for all you Binder players out there.
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 03:23:43 PM »

Well, it's 40k. That means a constant imbalance between older and newer Codexii. That + the constant changing to Codex and Army Books that makes my armies illegal - used to play mixed Chaos in both 40k and WHFB - was the reasons why I got out of the game after 6 years. Not to mention the constant prize "changes" (increasing), history of poor customer service, etc.

No, I switched over to Privateer Press and Warmachine/Hordes three years ago. Never looked back since.
But anyway, to not be a complete party-pooper:

Nice Tau :)
Black and White with crisp execution and good fundamentals in contrast. I wish you the best of luck with your Communist Smurfs  :)

Offline Soundwave

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science, it works.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »

It can be a bit of a pain but i dont mind. I love my faction :D One of the most important things in this game imo is to truly enjoy the side you take.

Black and White with crisp execution and good fundamentals in contrast. I wish you the best of luck with your Communist Smurfs

Thanks alot! I'm not an amazing painter by any means but i try to spend enough time on the models i do paint to get the crisp macross feel im going for.  Id use other colors but i see greyscale anyway so itd be a bit of a waste.

One of the Ork players in our playgroup is working on these guys

Ghaz.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 08:50:29 PM »

Yours and basically everybody else's. It's widely acepted that the BA are one of the top armies in 40k now, if not the top one, contesting only with SW. Even the newer GK struggle against it.

No wonder even the necron high king licks their boots and tries to be friendly with them.

Offline Alexei

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 04:15:26 PM »
I play tau myself. Just got back into the hobby a few weeks ago. Havent played since 04'. 5th much different then 4th?
5th is all about mobility and capturing objectives instead of victory points.

Tau... well, their Troops (the base for 5th edition gameplay) suck, to put it clear. Too expensive, low stats, and incapable of defending anything. They are only useful inside their vehicles while sitting close to an objective. Any competitive Tau army nowadays is all about 9 Crisis suits, a commander in a crisis suit, his bodyguards, as many tanks and Broadside suits as possible, and a few fishes in a can (their Troops), which is kind of boring.

About competitive gameplay... it can get to 3.5 intense-like optimization debates. For instance, Imperial Guard need 3 Vendetta gunships (airships with a lot of Twin linked Lascannons) in tournament lists, a Manticore artillery tank, a Hydra flak tank squad and whatnot. All armies have 1-2 competitive options, then the funny lists.

@Soundwave, I like your white; smooth looking and even coverage. Do you mind posting how you got it? it's a color I avoid for anything larger than SM helmets because of the difficulty. Also, yes, meta is all mechanised armies. I usually field 6 Razorbacks, 3 Venerable Dreads and 3 Dreads (all of the dreads wth S8 TL Autocannons) because walking is for poor, mobile cover Guardsmen *cough* expendable troops

BTW, I play Grey Knights (no, not bandwagoning, I have a lot of the old metal ones, needed to clarify as they are now a gouda level army), and just sold away all my Blood Pact army (traitor Imperial Guard)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:17:57 PM by Alexei »

Offline Soundwave

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science, it works.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 11:52:06 PM »
I've played a few games now.

I really miss victory points...

As for the white portions of the paintjob, the color is skullwhite which is NOT thinned in anyway on top of white primer painted by hand with a small brush.

On the tanks  I use a wider brush and do the same thing but add a thinned mixture of skullwhite over the previous paintjob for even coverage. I dont yet thin paints heavily or have a ratio of any real kind. I tend to dip the brush with white into the water so it just barely breaks surface tension and then coat the brush on the pallet and just eyeball it from there.

Tanks can take several coats to make sure things dont look patchy. I find the black sections also make it easier to determine if you have enough white on adjacent sections for some reason. I assume the contrast but  /shrug.

Quite a few people have commented on the white and not just here, I didnt find it too hard to do and got the idea for the colorscheme from the first tau codex, one of the army examples had a macross feel too it and i really wanted to do something along the same lines. I'm pretty happy with the results ive gotten thusfar but after magnetizing my crisis suits I can say I really dont like how the superglue makes the arm slots look slightly rougher even after a little bit of sanding.

I'll take some pictures in the next week or so of a couple of the suits. I finished my first broadside too but went with a black body mainscheme with red gore panel lines to make the units stand out much like my stealth teams.

As far as the game goes out of my playgroup im the only one whos played previously but even then I didnt play all that much were all pretty green. I'd say I have a much better grasp on the mechanics this time around then i did previously at least :D

Offline Soundwave

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science, it works.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 12:42:34 AM »
A have a few more pics, trying to rush through the last of my army so I've noticed a bit of rough spots after sealing here and there.

Post up some pics of your armies! :D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:34:39 AM by Soundwave »

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 02:46:48 PM »
looks like my boy has decided to go w/ Chaos marines.

got his codex and a batch of terminators..

The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 08:41:59 PM »
looks like my boy has decided to go w/ Chaos marines.

got his codex and a batch of terminators..

Fortunate as terminators are one of the better things in that poor excuse for a codex.

I have an Emperor's Children army... it doesn't work properly with the current codex.  :shakefist

Offline Soundwave

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science, it works.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 02:47:53 AM »
Has he decided to revere a particular chaos god as of yet? Go go 1k suns! :D

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »
he's still working his way through the codex, dont think he has made any hard decisions yet.

other than that he wants to paint them purple.
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 09:10:09 PM »

That's sooo last millenium. Modern chaos is all about multiculturalism, some plague marines here, a slanesh daemon prince there, some obliterators back there, etc :D

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2012, 07:24:43 PM »

That's sooo last millenium. Modern chaos is all about multiculturalism, some plague marines here, a slanesh daemon prince there, some obliterators back there, etc :D

This is exactly the problem with the current codex...