Author Topic: Gloom  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Gloom
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »
This has been bothering me since I saw Keith Baker a bit more than a year ago and he gave a brief explanation about this game. I tried to get a couple of friends interested, but since I jump between countries like I was a fugitive there was no point in buying the game. However, now I think the time is ripe for me to at least reconsider purchasing a Gloom set.

So I have one friend expressing interest and maybe two or three more, who I may be able to persuade to jump along for variety. Is the game actually worth it? Money isn't really an obstacle, I can get a set for 15 pounds or so. Experience, thoughts, cookies?

Edit: Oh my, I think this probably should be at another subforum. Sigh.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:14:31 PM by Tshern »
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
Re: Gloom
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 04:43:49 PM »
Me and my friends played a couple games of Gloom.  We had a lot of fun.

I think most of the fun comes from reading the fluff text on the cards.  Once you've done that, it loses a bit of the flavor (but then I say the same thing about Munchkin).

We had a not-D&D gaming day this past weekend, and Gloom was one of the games people wanted to play.

Would I buy it?  No.  Am I glad my friend bought it?  Yes.

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »
Thanks for the contribution.

The set itself isn't actually all that expensive, so that isn't a serious obstacle when I get my next pay. Since you said it's a fun game, I am a step closer to purchasing it.
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline radionausea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 04:31:06 AM »
My girlfriend bought it me for my birthday and it's the game I always have in my bag.  It's really fun to play when you're meeting for a quiet late afternoon drink or if you're camping or something - it's got tactics and strategies but you can play it just for fun and laughing at the text on the cards.  Although I have had quite serious games where my housemate has stormed out of the room upon losing.

The cards themselves are absolutely beautiful as well.
Something inside me dies when I see the word fallacy applied to ideas held about roleplaying. And a small bit of vomit comes up when I see a character called a 'toon'.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 05:42:32 PM »
The Cthlhu version is most enjoyable

Offline Nemo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 07:24:59 PM »
Playing it from time to time. Cards are really, really awesome, probably most beatiful cards I've ever seen in my life. :D
Storytelling aspect is great, especially when people start to mess with your characters :D. Mechanics are overall good too.

Offline dither

• Magnificent Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Rumors of War Comic
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 06:54:38 PM »
Gave the game to self for Christmas, have played two, maybe three times. Overall, it looks like it should be lots of fun to play, and it plays fairly well, but my experience is somewhat tainted by having played with poor sports.

Choose your players wisely, namely someone who won't kick you out of bed for beating them at a card game.  :p
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

Home of my game design blog and webcomic:
RumorsOfWarComic.com