Author Topic: all-homebrew game?  (Read 45629 times)

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
Re: all-homebrew game?
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 10:56:34 AM »
More around tier 3-4.  I like especially buffers, debuffers or skill-monkeys. I won't mind playing a beatstick or an archer ; for close combat, if there is a dexterity based melee homebrew for swachbuckling shenanigans, I'll take it. My prefered type of character are Dragonfire Inspiration bards & factotums.
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 10:58:34 AM »
Lol.  You could play a variant factotum with the factotum feats the Margravine is drawing from...  a Warpsoul might be good as a debuffer for you as well, if you're comfortable with incarnum.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 11:13:39 AM »
The Margravine is somehow already testing this feats, so... I'll give a look to the Warpsoul, i've never used Incarnum, it won't kill me to try.
oh, by the way. Is there somewhere an homebrew thing dedicated to the control of sound ? Since I've read Dune, I dream to play a character with The Voice. Or Skyrim's shouts. the closer I've ever found was the Sonoko warrior in Hyperconscious...
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 11:35:51 AM »
I've got a reworked Divine Mind if you're interested. Mantles, auras, 6th level powers like the Psychic Warrior. I'll keep an eye out for the other things you mentioned. I remember seeing a finesse combatant not too long ago, although I can't remember what it was.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »
You can use the spellshaping codices. There is a force, a wind and a sound based circle that would fit. It also has a time controlling one that can simulate some of the words from skyrim.

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »
So I guess I'm the DM?

So, what sort of campaign rules would you set forth? If you want ideas for how most campaigns here are set up, just check a few threads out.

A few things to think about, for all of us:
HP: Average or Rolled?
Sources: Is it Homebrew only, or just all homebrew classes with options to mix published feats/etc with homebrew ones?
Traits/Flaws?
House rules?
Starting level? Starting GP?
etc. etc.
HP: Average.
Sources: Classes and races are homebrew only.
Traits/Flaws: ?
House rules: ?
Starting level: somewhere lvl 5-10, not shure.

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »
Races are homebrew too ? right.  Oslecamo monsters, here we come !
-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 10:14:06 PM »
I'm sure he meant that races can be homebrew ones, and that standard things like humans and such are fine. But I'm only assuming.

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »
Classes must be homebrew, everything else can be, was my intention.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »
How do you want to do stats?  32pb, or roll, or a specific array?

For traits/flaws, normal is 0 to 2 flaws, 0 to 2 traits.

Starting gold is usually normal WBL.

Level is an important question :)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 05:55:35 PM »
As an addendum to the traits/flaws issue, if you are unfamiliar with them, They originated in Unearthed Arcana. Traits allow you to swap two roughly equivalent things, such as -1 fort for +1 Will, or boost spot while reducing search, or things like that. Flaws give you a bigger penalty in exchange for an extra feat.

Both things also have homebrewed options out there, as well as several options that were published in Dragon Magazine. If people are forced to roleplay their traits and flaws, it can sometimes be worth it for a wary DM. Many choose not to allow either of them, though most games on these boards allow at least one of each. The maximum is supposed to be 2 of each, as sirpercival stated.

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 06:25:17 PM »
The Dragonheart Adept or the Spellshape Champion sound nice. I love DFA, but I'm not fan of the Dragonheart Adept ability to become a dragon look-a-like creature. You know,esthetics... oh, and that means I can only take one of the Spellshape Formulae that tempt me, Illusion and Sound.
Concerning Factotums, I've seen on GitP a Soulknife rewrite  using factotum mechanisms  that might be nice to try.
As well, the rituals are tempting too..

Choices.... choices...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:29:41 PM by Harald »
-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 09:24:24 PM »
How do you want to do stats?  32pb, or roll, or a specific array?

For traits/flaws, normal is 0 to 2 flaws, 0 to 2 traits.

Starting gold is usually normal WBL.

Level is an important question :)
32 point buy stats, I'll go with normal flaws and traits (0-2).

What level would you(plural) prefer? I like 5-10, but have no specific preference.

The Dragonheart Adept or the Spellshape Champion sound nice. I love DFA, but I'm not fan of the Dragonheart Adept ability to become a dragon look-a-like creature. You know,esthetics...
Feel free to refluff it, if you can think of something better esthetically.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 09:49:05 PM »
As for level, if 5-10 is the range, I'd say start at 8. Most classes get a nice ability at 8, and then if we manage to play long enough to level, we get a new feat fairly quickly.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 10:03:47 PM »
Hey Quill, I assume I can't play a Magipunk class?

I can't freaking decide between everything ever.  Can we play gestalt?  I could play a gestalt Witchkin Witchblood//Gerudo who would be awesome.

Or I could play a Ritualist//Factotum and be a swiss army knife.

Or I could play a Warpsoul//Xenotheurge and be HILARIOUS.

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 10:22:28 PM »
Personally, I would not play gestalt. If the rest of you guys want to, obviously majority will rule, but I really don't want to do that.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 10:34:54 PM »
I think Gestalt makes for a bit too much ridiculousness in general, but doing so for homebrew classes which are likely to be higher powered on their own is likely to be far too overboard. I think even playing a Gestalt game in general really needs to be limited to the partial gestalt of days long gone (such as was implemented in the Fall of Sharn game from BG).

As much as I'd love to try Gestalting a monster class with a base class, I'd have my hands full with just one or the other. I'd vote no.

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 02:55:02 AM »
I vote no as well, even if I would like dearly to play once more a gestalt game.
We are here to playtest homebrews after all. It's like a food critic taking two main-courses in a five stars restaurant, mixing them and eating them altogether. How can you then judge them ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 03:43:28 AM »
Expressing player interest on this.

Quillwraith:
I would like to try out an Ghaele Eladrin gish or Yuan-Ti grappler/suport. Are either of those ok with you?

I also vote against gestalt for the reasons already presented.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 03:59:35 AM »
As I said earlier, I'm interested. I would Love to play my Spellblade Duellist though I need to come up with some (Level relevant) class features to fill up those holes in the table, I can see the class losing utility at higher levels...