Author Topic: [Game] 1.01 - Shockrise Fens  (Read 13322 times)

Offline dither

• Honorary Mod
  • Magnificent Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Rumors of War Comic
[Game] 1.01 - Shockrise Fens
« on: August 13, 2014, 02:11:53 PM »
GM
You find yourselves in a marsh called the Shockrise Fens. This region is known primarily for families of Shocker Lizards, and Will O' Wisps that lead unwary travelers to their deaths.

The sun is high overhead and a thick steam is rising off the marsh, reducing visibility to a few hundred feet. Thick patches of reeds impede your passage, and where ground gives way to mud and water -- a single misstep threatens to swallow you whole.

Nearby you can hear the sound of running water, likely a river cutting through the marsh. In the distance you can see the outline of a ruined tower.

What will you do?

<campaign progress>
(click to show/hide)
---

PCs
Bridgar
---

GM
(No Listen check needed.)
As if in response, you hear rustling in the reeds coming from the direction of the water.

Half-orc mercs reporting a couple lizardfolk (estimate 3) coming through the reeds.

Looks to be an armed patrol but they're making a lot of noise so they aren't trying to be stealthy.
---

PCs
MyPoyo
bridgar
---

GM
As predicted, three lizardfolk come tramping out of the reeds.

The half-orcs draw weapons (battleaxes greatclubs) and position themselves between the lizardfolk and the rest of the party.

Each of the lizardfolk is carrying a heavy shield and a spear, and is notable for a knot of blue, rope-like tendrils protruding from just under their chins.

(Neckbeard clan?)

The lizardfolk stop at the edge of the reed line, and rattle their weapons and shields.

They call out to you in draconian (language check, lol):

(click to show/hide)
---

PCs
Rikimaru
---

GM
((Since no one called out to the lizardfolk or attacked them... and either readied actions or ordered 'to attack if hostile,' I'm going to interpret that as waiting and watching, which the lizardfolk are now responding to.))

The blue neckbeard lizardfolk shake their weapons and shields at you. The one in the middle calls out again in draconian.

(language check)

(click to show/hide)

After shouting at you, two of them retreat back into the reeds while the third stares at you. The following round, the third lizardfolk follows them into the reeds.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:11:17 PM by dither »
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

Home of my game design blog and webcomic:
RumorsOfWarComic.com

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
Re: [Game] 1.01 - Shockrise Fens
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 03:22:53 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Seeing that nobody moves forward to answer the lizardfolk, Azureus decides to intervene, and addresses them in Dragonic.

"Greetings honored friends! We are simple, wearied, travelers. We had lost our way in these mists, when we noticed the tower. We were heading there, in hopes of finding help, when you approached us. Can you advise us on were we can seek assistance?"

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:24:27 PM by samnemath »

Offline dither

• Honorary Mod
  • Magnificent Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Rumors of War Comic
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 03:37:29 PM »
((Sure we can rewind a bit -- I reserve the right to deny requests, but this will make things more interesting. We're going to call this a "rushed" Diplomacy but I'll give you a circumstance bonus for addressing them in Draconic, which they were certainly not expecting. They were initially "unfriendly" but are now "indifferent" toward you.

If you can keep them talking, entertain them, or offer them a gift, I'll let you make further Diplomacy checks to improve their attitude.))

---

The third lizardfolk pauses, turns back to look at you with what passes for surprise on its reptilian face, and hisses something (nonverbal) to his companions, who reemerge from the reeds.

The lizardfolk replies in Draconian:

(language check)
(click to show/hide)

The creatures seem anxious, but they aren't shaking their weapons at you anymore.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:58:27 PM by dither »

RumorsOfWarComic.com

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 04:10:18 PM »
Azureus whispers to his companions: "Do any of you have something these will appreciate?"

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline bridgar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 05:39:13 PM »
"Uhhhhhh. I wish I had something to offer but I've got nothing," Grim responds. "What's going on, anyway? They're armed and hissing- never a good sign"

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 05:45:16 PM »
"do we need to take their threat before it actually becomes one?"

Offline dither

• Honorary Mod
  • Magnificent Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Rumors of War Comic
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 05:55:41 PM »
((A gift wouldn't necessarily alter this answer -- but would make them more open to attitude/disposition manipulation. If anyone thinks of anything, they're welcome to contribute it -- I'll just fill in whatever details may be lost after the fact.))

---

The lizardfolk replies in Draconian:

(language check)
(click to show/hide)

The lizardfolk makes a sweeping gesture at you and your group, tosses its head back, and points in the direction of the tower.

It continues in Draconian:

(language check)
(click to show/hide)

The creature in the center makes dramatic motions with its arms. One of the others ("twitchy?") flicks its tail back and tugs at its neck tendrils anxiously.

RumorsOfWarComic.com

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 06:03:23 PM »
In Draconic:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline bridgar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 06:04:09 PM »
"Hello? We're your fellow non-lizard-shits... Fill us in, please."

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 06:12:29 PM »
Azureus rolls his eyes, at the, distastefully base, comment of his teammate, and whispers.

"I have averted a possible conflict and now try to extract information from them. I will, recount everything once they leave Grim."

Offline bridgar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 06:19:05 PM »
(click to show/hide)

"Look, there's many more of us than them," Grim whispers back. "Just kill them before more come."

If the spot check turns up anything
(click to show/hide)

Offline dither

• Honorary Mod
  • Magnificent Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Rumors of War Comic
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 06:26:44 PM »
((Going to call this here so the non-draconian speakers can do stuff. Attack, or don't. Follow, or don't. Track, or don't. Make knowledge checks, or whatever it is your characters are good at.))

---

Grim's spot check (DC 10):
(click to show/hide)

The creature clicks its tongue and gestures to the others to leave.

In Draconian:

(language check)
(click to show/hide)

The three lizardfolk turn to melt back into the reeds.

RumorsOfWarComic.com

Offline Rikimaru

• Shadow Blending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 07:25:05 PM »
Whispers: I agree with grim on this fact. We do have the upper hand at this point.
Stalking my prey, silently I hide. Prey: Why are you whispering to yourself. Me: Crap, I rolled low on my hide and move silent checks. Act normal. Hello citizen :)"Just smile till he leaves"

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 07:54:13 PM »
"Charles" makes a subtle motion to his mercenaries when the lizardfolk turn to leave, slipping his spear free from his back to attack.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:54:34 AM by McPoyo »

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 03:58:03 AM »
"I am allied with savages...shortsighted savages" Azureus mumbles.

Resigned to the inevitability of battle, Azureus prepares himself as he speaks "Guys, we have no visibility, so we don't know if there are others around. Even if there are no others, these will be missed, and in an already dangerous area we will have added lizardmen on the list. All for the purpose of getting a fancy spear. Let's be reasonable here."

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 09:58:59 AM »
(click to show/hide)

"Less the spear, more our presence."

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 12:17:11 PM »
Azureus thrusts the scroll he is holding towards the Lizardman with the fancy spear.

As it unfolds, the words written on it start to glow brighter and brighter until they erupt from the scroll. Each word a miniature missile, converging to the lizardman like a swarm of angry hornets.

Offline dither

• Honorary Mod
  • Magnificent Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Rumors of War Comic
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 12:54:19 PM »
Initiative order (m indicates monster initiative)

(click to show/hide)

((This is a draft of the first round, while we give the other players some time to add their initiative to the mix and declare some actions. I'll start resolving actions in order, trying to "interpret" as little as possible. In the event of a significant divergence from your intentions, I will pull from your dice rolls and reference your character sheets to try and come up with the "next best action." I'm not dumb and I won't treat your PCs as dumb either -- but I might not pick what you would have picked.))

((While you can't change the consequences of a particular action, you can change whatever alternate action I've assigned to you right up until I post the next round's worth of action resolutions. Time is of the essence here... please refrain from asking me for too many do-overs on these. I'm doing my best to kill you, not screw you.))

Round 1 (Draft)

When Diplomacy fails...

Azureus the scholar (26) unleashes his attack (standard) on Talky McFancyspear, striking the lizardfolk dead on the spot. ((Deader than dead at -10 hp.))
---

Grim the trip-fighter (19) attempts to advance within striking distance (move) but fails to notice a hidden snare and becomes entangled. Unable to break free immediately (requires full-round action), he readies an attack against the first lizardfolk to approach. ((I used your first attack roll for the Spot check.))
---

The Talismander (12m) starts at the sight of his ally falling to an overwhelming display of magical power and immediately seeks cover from the reeds (move).

Listen check (DC 15)
(click to show/hide)
---

The Ninja (11a) advances past the half-orcs and ensnared Grim, carefully avoiding a second snare (move) -- which he points out to the mercs -- retrieves a shuriken, and throws it (standard) at the remaining lizardfolk, Twitchy (hit; 9 damage). ((I used your first attack for the Spot check.))

Twitchy cries out in surprise.
---

Charles the wilder (11b) signals to his mercenaries to close in and finish the lizardfolk (free), and hurls a glob of extoplasm (standard) at Twitchy. The goo fails to bond the lizardfolk.

Battleaxe and Overbite approach to flank the wounded lizardfolk (move). While Battleaxe distracts the creature with a blow (standard) reflected off its shield, Overbite lands a crushing blow (standard) on the creature's head (11 damage), rendering Twitchy unconscious ((-9 hp)).

Battleaxe lets out a whoop.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:55:53 PM by dither »

RumorsOfWarComic.com

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »
Seeing that no one appears to see where the third lizardfolk went, Charles  pulls a two inch amber crystal from around his neck and tosses it into the reeds where the lizardfolk disappeared. A momentary flash of light shines in his eyes, reflected in the crystal as it disappears into the reeds, and everyone watching would swear it turned into a spider as it splashed into the water.

Offline dither

• Honorary Mod
  • Magnificent Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Rumors of War Comic
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 02:59:21 PM »
...everyone watching would swear it turned into a spider as it splashed into the water.

What The Psicrystal Saw...

(click to show/hide)

((Potential problem ahead!))

RumorsOfWarComic.com