Author Topic: The Politics Thread v2  (Read 160663 times)

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: The Politics Thread v2
« Reply #500 on: November 27, 2015, 03:10:43 AM »
You teach? :twitch

Those poor, poor students.

Yeah, getting all those A's and honor rolls and college degrees.
Horrible how they learn concentration, good work habits, the value of knowledge, and all those other positive lessons from me.

Translation: "History is unknowable!"

Well it certainly isn't an absolute defined by Anarchist ideology.

"But I openly acknowledge this as legitimate history!"

Can you try not contradicting yourself from paragraph to paragraph? It kind of undermines your credibility. Not that you really have any at this point.

"Anarchism rejects force by definition, therefore using lies for misdirection when confronted by my own failures of reading comprehension is not hypocritical as I am a True Anarchist and thus by definition cannot be capable of hypocrisy."

Can you try not to admitting your lack of intellectual integrity every paragraph?
Not that it undermines your credibility, but it is rather tedious having you repeat it constantly.

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 27, 2015, 03:11:59 AM »
In another interesting development, it seems an Anti-SWATting bill has been put forward. Pretty making a fake 911 call is already illegal though.
A little madness goes a long way...

Offline stanprollyright

• The Looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 27, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »
In another interesting development, it seems an Anti-SWATting bill has been put forward. Pretty making a fake 911 call is already illegal though.

Or the SWAT team could, you know, NOT kick the doors in with weapons drawn based on a single anonymous phone call?
Goats are like mushrooms
If you shoot a duck I'm scared of toasters

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 27, 2015, 01:38:01 PM »

Or the SWAT team could, you know, NOT kick the doors in with weapons drawn based on a single anonymous phone call?

Oh come now, that's just silly. How else would the people know their government is willing to use ludicrous levels of arbitrary violence against it's own citizens in order to keep them in line protecting them from terrorism?

Funny story: A number of years back some kid the next town over decided to call 911 and tell them he had just seen someone kick open the door to his neighbor's house and go inside.

They didn't dispatch a SWAT team, just a bunch of anxious police officers jumped up on adrenaline. They knocked on the (closed and locked) front door, and when the owner--who had been enjoying a relaxing evening of drinking beer on his sofa and cleaning a legally registered handgun--answered the door they all aimed guns and flashlights at him, shouted a bunch of contradictory orders all at once, (Don't Move!/Hands Up!/Get on the Ground!) and then tackled and beat him in his own living room just a few feet from a picture of him and his family.

Naturally they charged him with resisting arrest, despite not having any cause to arrest him in the first place. Guess it's fortunate he had the sense to leave the handgun on his coffee table or they probably would have shot him dead the moment he opened the door.

On the plus side, it turns out this guy was a white, relatively well off business owner who ran a local restaurant and had enough money and mainstream respectability to launch a legal challenge. Eventually got the court to throw out the resisting arrest charge.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 28, 2015, 02:15:35 PM »
clicks, reads.
Ouch, lots of dirty business across Latin America with USA handprints.
Anything to beat them commies.
It is a 2 way street though, using high profile americans to give the locals extra legitimacy.

" ... the country’s former president Álvaro Uribe, a buffoonish sociopath best thought of as a Donald Trump if Donald Trump presided over a paramilitary army financed with billions of dollars provided by Bill Clinton ... "

Uhh, like Trump himself, if Trump wins the presidency?
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #507 on: November 28, 2015, 02:56:26 PM »
Hey, Awaken DM Golem's avatar is back!

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 29, 2015, 02:38:21 AM »
Hey, Awaken DM Golem's avatar is back!

and its spiffier!

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: November 29, 2015, 11:23:14 AM »
Ben Carson: "Obamacare is literally slavery!!1!!!!1!"
"Obama is Nazis!!!1!11!!!!"
Today: "Guys, any hateful rhetoric is bad, we should not do that."
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 29, 2015, 03:00:49 PM »
I was so embarassed by my kitty avatar's Tail 
always wanting to be the center of attention ...
but I promised it, it gets all of that upper space
and all to itself.

So far my Dreamscape check is > it's Knowledge (Minimalism) check.
Or do I have that backwards  :???  :twitch
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 03:02:48 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 29, 2015, 05:32:43 PM »
So, is nobody going to talk about the terrorist attack at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado?

Guy killed three people, including a cop, injured several others, took hostages, and there's evidence he was trying to blow up a couple of propane tanks before he surrendered to the police.

Add "pro-lifers" who commit mass shootings to the list of people who don't understand the meaning of the words they're using. :rolleyes

Offline stanprollyright

• The Looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 29, 2015, 05:55:01 PM »
I don't know what there is to say about it, really.  Unfortunately, with conservative hatemongering and unwillingness to pass any kind of gun control, this sort of thing is already common and will probably get even more common.
Goats are like mushrooms
If you shoot a duck I'm scared of toasters

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 29, 2015, 06:03:20 PM »
I was going to link something about it, but I haven't seen a good enough article for what I wanted to highlight.  Basically the situation is still evolving, as more info comes out.  Of course, that info is confirming what I had originally suspected and he's a right wing terrorist, one of the many terrorist attacks in recent months on PP facilities.  This guy actually managed to kill people.  So far politicians have been very politician about it.  Nothing terribly inflammatory nor accusatory.  Some, especially on the Right, have been avoiding calling it a terrorist attack, but for some reason, somehow, freaking Huckabee called it a terrorist attack?
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 29, 2015, 06:17:02 PM »
He sounds like a loony who has a long history of both mental illness and conflict with the law.  He's had cops called on him for beating his wife, beating his dog, and threatening to beat or kill his neighbors.

He has a long history of calling the law over what neighbors call imaginary vandalism done to his property.  Most of them refuse to be interviewed because they're so terrified of him.  The picture emerging so far is of a mentally unstable, violent man someone should have stepped in to help years ago, but no one wanted to become involved.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 29, 2015, 06:27:24 PM »
Does he?  The first reports I saw were "nothing terribly out of the ordinary, just a loner".  I mean, none of that is surprising to me though.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 29, 2015, 06:52:22 PM »
He sounds like a loony who has a long history of both mental illness and conflict with the law.  He's had cops called on him for beating his wife, beating his dog, and threatening to beat or kill his neighbors.

He has a long history of calling the law over what neighbors call imaginary vandalism done to his property.  Most of them refuse to be interviewed because they're so terrified of him.  The picture emerging so far is of a mentally unstable, violent man someone should have stepped in to help years ago, but no one wanted to become involved.
Lol. When I first started reading this, I thought you were talking about Huckabee. :p

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 29, 2015, 09:00:45 PM »
I was going to link something about it, but I haven't seen a good enough article for what I wanted to highlight.  Basically the situation is still evolving, as more info comes out.  Of course, that info is confirming what I had originally suspected and he's a right wing terrorist, one of the many terrorist attacks in recent months on PP facilities.  This guy actually managed to kill people.  So far politicians have been very politician about it.  Nothing terribly inflammatory nor accusatory.  Some, especially on the Right, have been avoiding calling it a terrorist attack, but for some reason, somehow, freaking Huckabee called it a terrorist attack?

Yeah, I'd been holding off too but honestly waiting for quality journalism is like waiting for tasty health food. Was tempted to just link to a google search and let people pick their own news source, but didn't want to come across to confrontational by using lmgtfy.

It is interesting how much everybody's shying away from making any real statements about this though. They won't call it a terrorist attack, they won't say whether it was motivated by anti-choice sentiment, etc. It's admirable to wait for the actual facts to come to light like that, but I can't help but recall all the times these same people have instantly assigned a label and motive to other events without a shred of evidence besides their own presumptions.

And I hate that "the situation is still evolving" BS. It's pure political doubletalk. The situation happened. It is not evolving, it's done--past tense. The only thing "evolving" is our understanding of what happened and the various narrative spins that different groups are going to try to put on those facts.

I was getting that vibe from what little I saw too. There's a real problem in this country with stigmatizing mental health problems. People act out because something's wrong and they feel like no one's listening to them, but instead of trying to get them the help they need everybody just ignores it and tries to and avoid them--which just makes the problem worse.

Does he?  The first reports I saw were "nothing terribly out of the ordinary, just a loner".  I mean, none of that is surprising to me though.

Every notice how that's the first thing you ever hear about people who go on a killing spree? "He was quiet, kept mostly to himself." AKA: Nobody we've interviewed paid much attention to him, and therefore didn't have shit to tell us--but we're going to pretend this means he simply went off with no warning because the idea that a seemingly normal person could be a ticking time bomb scares people and keeping people scared is good for business if you're a reporter or a politician.

The fact is if you dig even a little bit below the surface, you usually find tons of warning signs that something was wrong with the person. It's just that nobody paid attention them until it was too late.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:03:11 PM by MrWolfe »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 29, 2015, 11:29:18 PM »
Seems different this time.  The news stories are less "He was a quiet man" than "That motherfucker was crazy.  Everyone knew it.  Dogs knew it.  We're surprised it's taken him this long."