Author Topic: Iconic animals and incarnum  (Read 8064 times)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Iconic animals and incarnum
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:20:15 PM »
Basically the idea is to get some souldmelds going based on animals and similar spirits of nature that aren't magical beasts.

In the interest of crowdsourcing to see what ideas people have, what iconic animals would you say might deserve soulmelds?  What might those soulmelds be?  Some starting inspiration might be the Bull's Strength line of spells as well as the list of Spirit Shaman spirit guides.  Looking at that there are also vermin, so adding vermin seems alright.

Offline Leviathan

• View Profile
Re: Iconic animals and incarnum
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 02:39:26 PM »
Unearthed Arcana's totem barbarian variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#barbarianVariantTotemBarbarian) has a barbarian ACF for each of 10 animals, which might inspire some soulmelds. Bears, dragons, and wolves are all obvious animals to emulate, but who would have thought of horses or jaguars?

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:37:40 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
CATS!

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 06:22:18 PM »

Offline Kajhera

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 06:38:13 PM »
Recently based a shaman on a serpent archetype, and came up with some associated symbolism after bit of research:
Deceitfulness, Guardianship, Poison, Medicine, Renewal, Vengeance, Sunlight, Spiritual Guidance, Duality

... then can delve into world serpents and chaos and all that if you want.

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 11:18:45 PM »

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 04:35:54 PM »
Given the specific rage stuff for badgers and wolverines, I expect they'd make it as a soulmeld, yes.

Prime:  Excellent video!  I might have to watch that anime.  It certainly gives me some ideas.  Obviously buffalo/bison would go for bull rushes and such.  lol  Hm, I might want to see if anyone else has done homebrew based on Shaman King.

Kajhera:  Yeah, expanding the descriptions of the various animals would help with creating different soulmeld effects.

Bhu:  I figured you'd say that.  :p

Leviathan:  Yeah, the various barbarian animal ACFs were already in my notes.  Though it's interesting to note that some humans can outrun horses when it comes to distance, and in fact that's how some ancient peoples hunted.  Makes me want to clear a space for the treadmill and get back into shape enough to enjoy running again, but we've got so much crap...

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »

Bhu:  I figured you'd say that.  :p

Cuz cats are so versatile  :tongue

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 12:48:47 AM »
Dinosaurs and birds of prey.

Mantle of the Hawk
Base effect gives +4 Spot, +2/Essentia.  Shoulder bind gives fly speed (30', good), +5'/Essentia.  Crown bind removes range limit for Sneak Attacks, and gives 1d6/Essentia Sneak Attack damage that only works with ranged weapons.  Totem bind gives Malphas' Bird's Eye Viewing ability.

Jaws of the Tyrant
Base effect gives +4 to bull rush, +1/Essentia.  Brow bind gives a standard action Roar that makes people frightened, +1 DC and 5' radius/Essentia (maybe Crown, but an AoE at-will fear is probably too powerful for level 2).  Totem Bind gives 1d10 Bite, +1 hit&damage/Essentia.  Throat Bind gives Swallow Whole, 1d6 each Acid and Bludgeoning/Essentia.  Heart bind makes grow a size category, Soul bind makes you grow two.  Not sure what the +Essentia abilities for Heart and Soul should do - maybe Natural Armor? 

Stegosaur Plates
Base effect gives +1 Natural Armor, +1/Essentia.  Foot bind lets you move normally in medium or heavy armor or while encumbered.  Waist bind gives tail attack, 1d8, +1 damage (not hit)/Essentia.    Shoulder bind gives a no-hands Shield bonus to AC (3, +1/Essentia), and you can't be flanked. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Argent Fatalis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Nature, red in tooth and claw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 08:46:11 AM »
CATS!

This, several fold.

Not just for the aforementioned reasons, but also for the sole fact of that no global animal theme is complete without felines.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 10:52:19 AM »
Prime:  Excellent video!  I might have to watch that anime.  It certainly gives me some ideas.  Obviously buffalo/bison would go for bull rushes and such.  lol  Hm, I might want to see if anyone else has done homebrew based on Shaman King.
Which reminds me... some Kamen Rider material here:

Kamen Rider OOO from the series of the same name was pretty totemist-like: using magic coins (Medals) he could assign different animal powers to his head, arms/body and legs, and using three animals of the same kind would result in a "combo" that gave him extra powers but left him fatigued afterwards.
(click to show/hide)

Kamen Rider Beast from Kamen Rider Wizard had four animal-based forms he could switch between with magic rings.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 02:51:54 PM »
Alright, here are a few that people haven't suggested:

Butterflies, Hummingbirds, Maggots, and Rabbits.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 03:36:27 PM »
Hummingbirds reminds me that familiars and their bonuses are also valid to look at.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 03:41:23 PM »
Plus, well, Hummingbirds were considered psychopomps by a couple Suramerican societies.

And Maggots have a connotation of healing, as well.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »
Maggots probably won't be making the list since even though they are useful for some kinds of healing by taking care of dead skin, that definitely won't translate well plus there's the gross factor for most.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 04:06:15 PM »
Eye Of The Tiger - crown
Darkvision 60' or +30'
essentia +10' per
bound = detect invisible range as darkvision
soul bound = true seeing range as darkvision

Ghost Step Kitty - feet
auto sucess Move Silently checks at 5' round movement
essentia +10' movement per
bound = un-Track-able , Track feat fails against Kitty
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Milo v3

• I will never be able to decide what to put here
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 10:23:11 PM »
Dinosaurs and Penguins

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 11:03:16 PM »
Alright, here are a few that people haven't suggested:

Butterflies
Metamorphosis. You take on traits of a caterpillar, and if killed you gain a brief revenance effect that also comes with wings. Alternately something dream-based.

Rabbits
Keen senses, escape/retreat (in zig-zag paths), warning allies of danger, luck, burrowing, tremorsense, self-replication, the moon.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 11:05:24 PM »
Well, a Maggot soulmeld could literally be incarnum maggots munching on your wounds...

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 02:44:39 PM »
T Rex - throat

Intimidate +10 checks
essentia:  standard action, Deafen all and Panic Humanoids, range 10' +10' per essentia, both one will save 10+essentia invested; this attack can be heard for +essentia miles, and spooks <1hd birds.
bound:  d6 bite attack up to +1 size category, +essentia to hit, Swallow Whole special attack vs max -1 size category
Your codpiece is a mimic.