Author Topic: Gods  (Read 44896 times)

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
Re: Gods
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2014, 02:54:08 PM »
I was just looking at the Alter Reality SDA and was wondering, what exactly is constituted by resting? Does this mean take no actions? Only move actions? Is the ability merely on cooldown? Do enemies get special attack bonuses against somebody who is "resting"?
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2014, 11:15:25 AM »
Rest is defined in the Salient Divine Ability class feature of the Gods themselves.

" Some abilities require the god to rest afterward. A resting god can engage in light activities such as talking or walking at half speed. When attempting anything more strenuous than that, the god can only take partial actions and suffers a -6 penalty on all attack rolls, saves, and checks. The god cannot use another ability that requires rest until its current rest requirement is fulfilled. Any time the god spends performing strenuous activities does not count toward the required rest time. "

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2014, 01:59:05 PM »
Oh, beautiful. I must have forgotten it, because it sounds familiar now that I reread it. My apologies.
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2015, 04:19:39 AM »
Based on looking at Animated object, idea for a "caster" god class:
* Use Substitute Domain for spellcasting flexibility (perhaps from Alter Reality)
* Domain Magic a few times (with one of them periodically modified with Substitute Domain)
* Take Heretic of the Faith or Customize Domain to edit spell choice

End Result --> Very respectable caster after investing 1 feat & 4 Divine Characteristics & 1 Salient Divine Ability.   Roughly 3 levels investment means that you can act like a full caster. (1 domain with frequent casting, 1 custom domain with frequent casting, Alter Reality).  Reminder that these are SLA, meaning that spells are auto-stilled, silent (very useful for summoning or oracle spells)

feats: Apprentice (UMD), Heretic of the Faith or Customize Domain, Initiate of Mystra (cast in dead magic zone), Supernatural Transformation (?), Reserves of Strength (?)

Best,
David
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:49:07 PM by DavidWL »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2019, 09:50:40 PM »
Added Divine Blaster SDA for a "lesser" but more spammable version of Divine Blast.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2019, 09:54:34 PM »
So, I can now be the god of beamspam?

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2019, 10:04:39 PM »
Yaaas

Can they change the damage type at will?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:23:04 PM by YuweaCurtis »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2019, 01:23:44 AM »
Only at level up, clarified.

So, I can now be the god of beamspam?

Sure!

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2019, 01:32:59 AM »
Hm, here's a thought experiment (and I think I mentioned the idea before): is there some point that you start applying your Divine Rank/aka HD to so many different features that God should function like Boss and take up both sides of a gestalt? It's less abusable than as I remember (I think previously Higher Existence could have been stacked on one ability and the AC buff wasn't fractional) but you can still wind up with DR to attack, ac, all saves, a scaling perfect dodge bonus, some random abilities... particularly Divine Celerity letting you get extra action abuse into it.

Unrelated to balance: I'm confused that god doesn't grant you Outsider as a type. Even a demigod should have some sort of Outsider (Native) deal going on*. Following on, maybe an undead entering into God should be able to take Undead Body automatically and override said outsider-ness.

*assuming for this context that the moon would also count as a plane for the insanity of dealing with Lunarians when Touhou enters the fray and someone brings out Dismissal.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:45:55 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2019, 02:36:01 AM »
Hm, here's a thought experiment (and I think I mentioned the idea before): is there some point that you start applying your Divine Rank/aka HD to so many different features that God should function like Boss and take up both sides of a gestalt? It's less abusable than as I remember (I think previously Higher Existence could have been stacked on one ability and the AC buff wasn't fractional) but you can still wind up with DR to attack, ac, all saves, a scaling perfect dodge bonus, some random abilities... particularly Divine Celerity letting you get extra action abuse into it.
A fair point, but I think it may be better with god to scale down the "gain bonus equal to divine rank to X" so it becomes "(gain bonus equal to 1+(1/2 divine rank)" or some other fraction. That also would mean god doesn't stack as well with itself. Boss had the gestalt clause because it gets extra actions all the time and that gets exponentially stronger in gestalt while Divine Celerity at least has some limits.

How does fractionalizing "divine rank to x" sounds? Probably with clauses of "over 20 HD, add full divine rank".

That may also allow to make a feat that allows to stack god with another monster class for divine rank.

Unrelated to balance: I'm confused that god doesn't grant you Outsider as a type. Even a demigod should have some sort of Outsider (Native) deal going on*. Following on, maybe an undead entering into God should be able to take Undead Body automatically and override said outsider-ness.

*assuming for this context that the moon would also count as a plane for the insanity of dealing with Lunarians when Touhou enters the fray and someone brings out Dismissal.
Yeaaahhh, that's the thing, if undead gods get an exception, why not also animal gods and humanoid gods and X gods?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:47:37 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2019, 05:59:09 AM »
Fractional scaling seems like a stop to the silliest of it--e.g. taking Divine Strike (or whatever it is) and some sort of full BAB class on another side.

The only reason I except Undead is because there's already a Salient Divine Ability leading to it and "dead gods" are a thing in D&D and mythologically.

Gods and (literal) demigods are currently less Outsider than Tieflings.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2019, 06:30:13 AM »
Ok, went around halfing the "add Divine Rank to X" abilities, should've covered them all. Most others such as number of uses and ranges based on Divine Rank remain unchanged but if you think anything's still too cheesy do let me know.

Also added the native outsider change unless undead in which case remain undead.