Author Topic: Blink Greater and Luminous Armor interaction  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Ryshin

• Spellguard of Silverymoon
    • View Profile
Blink Greater and Luminous Armor interaction
« on: February 10, 2019, 07:44:45 PM »
We know that invisibility doesn't negate light sources produced by the caster so it's safe to say that if you go invisible while luminous armor is active others can still know your position, maybe you get 50% of concealment but a smart player would say "i attack the exact centre of the light source" so bye bye concealment, but how does interact with greater blink?
Blink greater work differently from blink since you have total control of when you are on the material or ethereal plane, that being said you are not invisible, you are on another plane so i assume the light won't be seen because the "invisibility you have from blinking is because you are on the ethereal plane and if someone can see invisible creature yes they can see you but they will still have the 20% miss if they can't strike ethereal creatures.

What do you guys think?
I didn't choose the min/max life, the min/max life chose me.

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Blink Greater and Luminous Armor interaction
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 11:41:09 PM »
- "I attack the exact centre of the light source" doesn't work against invis + light source. A creature which has its Dex bonus to AC is moving around within its square to dodge attacks, and even one denied its Dex bonus to AC is still moving around unpredictably. In the particular case of Luminous Armour, it's hard to even argue it'd be downgraded to concealment (as is the case for an invisible creature underwater, whose exact outline is visible), because the light is so bright it gives people penalties to attack you in its own right and as such making out details is practically impossible.

- Greater Blink does not give you total control of when you are on which plane. You cannot, for instance, use it to stay on the Ethereal Plane and thus duplicate Etherealness (which makes you totally invisible, allows you to move through arbitrarily-thick Material Plane objects, and renders you invulnerable to attacks that do not extend onto the Ethereal).

- See Invisibility and True Seeing can see ethereal light sources. Otherwise, they are indeed invisible.

- Greater Blink doesn't give you the 50% miss chance from total concealment (and does not force opponents to guess where you are, as total concealment usually does). It gives you a 20% miss chance from etherealness, a 20% miss chance from concealment, and a 50% combined miss chance if both apply. Luminous Armour shouldn't negate concealment, so the miss chance from Greater Blink applies as it would without Luminous Armour (50% normally, 20% if they can see but not hit ethereal, 20% if they can hit but not see ethereal, 0% if they can both see and hit ethereal, 100% if you readied-action dodge an attack that can't hit ethereal).

- It would be nice if you mentioned what book things are from when asking a question about them. 3.5 has a lot of books, and it's tiresome to have to search through several of them.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:45:37 PM by magic9mushroom »

Offline Ryshin

• Spellguard of Silverymoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 06:11:07 AM »
Thanks, this is really helpful.
I didn't choose the min/max life, the min/max life chose me.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:21:11 PM »
At most, the light from Greater Luminous Armor would allow an opponent to target the correct square, instead of guessing like normal invisibility situations.  Otherwise, it provides no benefits for targeting.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 08:47:33 PM »
At most, the light from Greater Luminous Armor would allow an opponent to target the correct square, instead of guessing like normal invisibility situations.  Otherwise, it provides no benefits for targeting.
I'd agree in the case of invisibility. In the case of Greater Blink, of course, you don't need to guess either way.