Author Topic: PbP system  (Read 1965 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
PbP system
« on: June 20, 2016, 02:57:08 AM »
I would like opinions on what a system designed for play by post in forums would need,

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
Re: PbP system
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 03:00:30 AM »
I think it would differ based on whether you can assume everyone's logged in at the same time and you get immediate responses, or if people log in willy-nilly sometime during the day and responses are delayed.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:31:30 PM »
* We need a mental uplink so I don't have to type or talk to create a post.
* We also need auto green/red text like a Zelda game to clue us into relevant details during expositional monologues.
* We need more name called attacks, maybe auto-play music that falls out of sync if you're not jogging on your treadmilllaptop fast enough.

Any of those helpful?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 01:46:41 PM »
PBPs tend to be asynchronous, so you need to account for that and maybe try to take advantage of it. For example, minimizing the input required for reactive abilities. One person should be able to run their entire action through to the end. If there are reactive abilities (like Tome of Battle's counters and other immediate action D&D abilities), they should usually be able to function without any input from the user.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 01:55:36 AM »
My current idea for combat was this:  The PC's are done as a single entity for combat purposes and so are bad guys. For example each PC contributes to the parties Hit Points, Initiative and Defenses based on their class. AC is 10, +1 for each PC in light armor, +2 for each PC in heavy armor, with another +1 for shields. If the bad guys beat that, they damage the group who have a pool of hp. Fights are basically roll initiative, both sides choose abilities and actions, roll attacks. One roll determines everything. For example you roll 3d6 to attack, and need to meet or exceed AC. Each PC with Rogue BAB contributes +1 to the roll, each PC with Fighter BAB adds +2. Damage is either low, medium or high die depending on party makeup and options chosen. If you roll doubles you crit. Class powers activate on specific rolls. For example if you roll a 16+ perhaps the Rogue adds his class level to the damage. If you roll evens the Cleric heals 2d6 to the party. This way you only need one party member to do combat rolls, but they can all participate in the story. All powers will be at will or once per encounter. Skill checks could be done the same with each member contributing to the roll. The goal being while you can all roleplay, combat is a quick thing done by whoever is on line at the time, and maybe both he and the DM do an agreed upon minimum (say 4 rolls) at that time. If both part and bad guys are still standing the DM and whoever is online next do more rolls (but really you shouldn't need more than 4).

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 05:28:06 AM »
That would really stack the deck against the PCs unless the DM was either never fighting with more enemies than players or was running a separate set of rules from the ones the players use for combat. Neither sounds good for the players or DM :/

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 02:39:35 PM »
That depends on the enemies, of which I see three kinds:

BBEG: one enemy, powerful enough to take on a group (i.e. has comparable to the group as a whole as far as abilities and hp and such go).

Rivals: A group of NPC's made like the PC's (i.e. if there are 5 pc's there are 5 rivals) roughly similar in power.

Mooks: A mob that may outnumber the PC; but each individual mook contributes so little to the mob they don't outpower the group.

When I did the MM for such a system there would be stats for monsters of varying levels (i.e. if you have 2 players a Beholder has the following stats, i you have 5 players it has these stats.