Author Topic: Leprechaun  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Leprechaun
« on: March 17, 2019, 07:23:52 PM »

The Irish Leprechaun is the Faeries' shoemaker and is known under various names in different parts of Ireland: Cluricaune in Cork, Lurican in Kerry, Lurikeen in Kildare and Lurigadaun in Tipperary. Although he works for the Faeries, the Leprechaun is not of the same species. He is small, has dark skin and wears strange clothes. His nature has something of the manic-depressive about it: first he is quite happy, whistling merrily as he nails a sole on to a shoe; a few minutes later, he is sullen and morose, drunk on his home-made heather ale. The Leprechaun's two great loves are tobacco and whiskey, and he is a first-rate con-man, impossible to out-fox. No one, no matter how clever, has ever managed to cheat him out of his hidden pot of gold or his magic shilling. At the last minute he always thinks of some way to divert his captor's attention and vanishes in the twinkling of an eye.
-- A Field Guide to the Little People, by Nancy Arrowsmith & George Moorse

HD: d6

LevelBABFortRefWillFeature
1+0+0+2+0Leprechaun Body, Apprentice SLAs, Arcane Shilling, Claws (1d2), Leprechaun Skills, Leprechaun Weaknesses, Trapfinding, Voice Imitation, +1 Cha
2+1+0+3+0Ejection Seat, Hoard, Sneak Attack +1d6, +1 Dex
3+2+1+3+1Claws (1d3), Nose for Treasure, +1 Dex
4+3+1+4+1Sneak Attack +2d6, Uncanny Dodge, +1 Cha
5+3+1+4+1Claws (1d4), Levitation, Master SLAs, Regeneration, +1 Dex

Skills: 6+int mod per level, quadruple at 1st level. Class skills are Appraise, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Hide, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (nature), Move Silently, Open Lock, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand and Tumble.

Leprechaun Body (Ex): A Leprechaun loses all other racial bonus and gains Fey traits (basically low light vision). It is a small sized Fey with base speed of 30 feet. Leprechauns are proficient with simple weapons and light armor, but not with any shields.

Apprentice Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Beginning at 1st level, at-will - Shillelagh. This SLA (and all other SLAs gained from Leprechaun levels) are based on Charisma.

Arcane Shilling (Ex): A Leprechaun who multiclasses for an arcane class can count his Leprechaun levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL and for the purposes of learning new spells and getting new spell slots. So for example, a Leprechaun 3 who took 1 level of Sorcerer could choose to have CL 4, get 3 2nd level spell slots, 1 1st level spell slot, 1 2nd level spell known and 1 0th level spell known. He wouldn't get the spell knowns and spell slots of a Sorcerer 3 however.  He would get the Familiar ability, but Leprechaun levels wouldn't count for it.

Claws (Ex): Starting at 1st level Leprechauns have two claws (1d2 damage) as natural weapons. At 3rd level, the damage increases to 1d3. At 5th level, the damage increases to 1d4.

Leprechaun Skills (Ex): Starting at 1st level you gain a bonus equal to your Leprechaun level to Appraise checks to determine the value of items made of precious metals and to Sleight of Hands checks to steal items off another person

Leprechaun Weaknesses (Ex): Beginning at 1st level, the Leprechaun cannot enter any square that contains a four-leaved clover. If the Leprechaun is forced to move against its will into such a square, it must spend its next move action getting as far away from it as possible.
A creature forcefully presenting a four-leaved clover cannot be approached by the Leprechaun.
A Leprechaun who is helpless can be fed a four-leaved clover as a full-round action, killing it instantly without any save.

Trapfinding (Ex): Beginning at 1st level, as per the Rogue entry. Leprechauns explicitely qualify for any ACFs open for Rogues.

Voice Imitation (Ex): The Leprechaun can perfectly mimic familiar sounds, voices, and accents he has heard before. This ability can be used at-will.
A Leprechaun can duplicate a specific individual's voice by making a Bluff check; a listener familiar with the voice being imitated must succeed on an opposed Sense Motive check to discern that the voice is not genuine. The Leprechaun gets a bonus equal to his Leprechaun level to those Bluff checks for voice imitation.

Ejection Seat (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, as an immediate action, you teleport up to 10 feet. You can’t bring along any other creatures. You can use this feature a number of times per day equal to your Cha mod (minimum of 1).

Hoard (Ex): At 2nd level you gain Hoard as a bonus feat.

Sneak Attack (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Leprechaun gains Sneak Attack +1d6 as per the Rogue entry. This stacks with Rogue levels and other sources of Sneak Attack (such as levels in Spellthief or Assassin). At 4th level this increases to +2d6.

Nose for Treasure (Su): Starting at 3rd level, the Leprechaun can constantly sniff out copper, silver, gold, platinum, and gems within 30 feet, as well as differentiate between the five kinds of valuables. When the Leprechaun detects one of these types of valuables, the exact location of the source is not revealed - only its presence and direction. Whenever the Leprechaun come within 5 feet of the treasure, he can pinpoint its exact location. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a Leprechaun can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

If a Leprechaun already has uncanny dodge from a different class he automatically gains Improved Uncanny Dodge instead.

Levitation (Su): Starting at 5th level, Leprechauns gain a magical perfect fly speed equal to half their land speed.

Master Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Starting at 5th level, 1x/hour - Dimension Door.

Regeneration (Ex): A Leprechaun of 5th level or higher takes normal damage from acid, cold iron and fire, but otherwise is treated as having a Regeneration of 1.

Comments:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:04:09 PM by Skyrock »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Leprechaun
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 06:13:45 AM »
First I should point out that there's another Leprechaun done, although it's fine to have more than a version of a monster class around here, in particular because there may be different valid ways of tackling them.

In particular you seem to have gone for a more "feral" version, so here are my comments at first glance:
-No weapon/armor proficiencies? If not it should still be pointed out, although shillegash suggests at least simple weapons should be there.
-For monster with paired claws and nothing else I like to add some custom ability to make it easier to said claws like "can attack with both claws as a standard action with no penalty".
-Your fluff claims he's a "a first-rate con-man, impossible to out-fox", yet doesn't seem to get much support for that besides the base racial Cha bonus which isn't that big and doesn't really help at all with the "impossible to out-fox" bit. Maybe Cha to sense Motive besides some extra bonus to Bluff? If just bigger number sounds boring, maybe allow for-rerolls and/or maybe grant him a custom "con-man" skill that combines Bluff and Sense Motive.
-If you're using non-srd spells for SLAs, it's better to either present a link or make your custom version or alternative at least point out the source.

Otherwise looks pretty solid, a rogue with a nice bit of magic utility that can go for caster classes later whitout much problem. Pretty good for your first monster class! :)

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 04:45:39 PM »
-No weapon/armor proficiencies? If not it should still be pointed out, although shillegash suggests at least simple weapons should be there.
My mistake, thought I had covered them. Simple weapons, light armor.

-For monster with paired claws and nothing else I like to add some custom ability to make it easier to said claws like "can attack with both claws as a standard action with no penalty".
I have no such things planned. Means to get full attacks on the move are already desirable to sneak attackers, and the claws are more of an afterthought anyway to cover that feature of the movie leprechaun.

-Your fluff claims he's a "a first-rate con-man, impossible to out-fox", yet doesn't seem to get much support for that
Forget the flavour text. The flavour text is bupkis. I found it in a Cracker Jack box stole it mercilessly from NetHack, which tends to wildly scramble speculation, lies and grains of truth in its monster encyclopedia entries.

-If you're using non-srd spells for SLAs, it's better to either present a link or make your custom version or alternative at least point out the source.
Will do when I find the time.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 03:04:56 AM »
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 06:52:04 PM »

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 06:04:46 PM »
Have added proficiencies and replaced non-SRD spells with original abilities.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 10:46:54 PM »
No further critiques, added to the index. :)